New Baldur's gate?

Haplo

if they decided that hey, maybe Solaufein should be romanceable after all, let's write our own.
I really doubt they'll be doing anything like that. Nor do they need a cadre of lawyers if they did want to include mods (from the sound of it, they decided they don't, which is fair enough). I could see them including something like the Fixpack, which would make a lot of sense. All they'd have to do is get permission under the mod's release notes ("[don't] redistribute a mod without permission from the author(s)"). Meaning all they'd have to do is ask someone on the team who's still around (aVENGER or Grim Squeaker, for example). Now if they included a bunch of Fixpackish-like fixes without doing that, I'd have to raise an eyebrow. On the other hand, they wouldn't even have to ask to include other mods (not in the game itself, but as menu options, the way Civilization does it). Unique Containers, for example, is released under the WTFPL, meaning anyone can do what they like with it without even asking permission. I would expect the BG1 Fixpack to have a similar "license" once we release it publicly (which should be soon).
Now if they included a bunch of Fixpackish-like fixes without doing that, I'd have to raise an eyebrow.

I don't know about that. It might be nice if they did, but the logical conclusion of expecting it may be to say that every correction the modding community has ever made is off limits to the original developers, and ugly copyright issues are ugly.

I could see them including something like the Fixpack, which would make a lot of sense.

+1. Fixing bugs was always the developer's job in the first place. The fact that they stopped releasing patches for it is merely part of the product's life cycle, but "bug fixing" is no synonym to "modding". There had to be a mod about that because there were many unresolved bugs at the time BioWare stopped supporting BG products, but re-releasing any BG title without major bug fixing would be ridiculous. Imho, contacting the Fixpack authors and including its every fix in BGEE is among the things that would make the most sense for them to do.

As for including other mods, it doesn't look like they're in this to unilaterally steal other people's work. They seem to be quite keen on supporting the modding community rather than ripping it off. The only other mod I can think of that would make a lot of sense to include is Level 1 NPCs. That kind of flexibility should have been allowed to users ever since the original release of the game, imho. Other than that, I don't see any reason why they should include mods in the game. Several things that are considered broken or overpowered could be solved by sticking to pen and paper, and others could be fixed without resorting to copying existing mods.

Yeah, it seems likely that a lot of bugfixes in the various fixpacks would be almost necessities for a re-release, and allowing character customisation as in Level 1 NPCs might be something they'd put in on their own bat, but then again, if they are looking to engage the modding community (and those of us in it would be their bread and butter), they'd maybe refrain from adding anything like that to the game release themselves. Perhaps they'd put in pointers to the major modding communities built into the game for people to find things rather than build them in themselves.

Following Trent Oster's twitter, this one --> "We're interesting in the concept of including some of the great mods out there into BG "canon".

is interesting.

This means, they are not just interested in bugfixes, but probably (if several stars align favorably) some mod content will make it into the official game.

I think they would be not doing much with the game, apart from the textures/better graphics. There are hundreds of mods already that fix things/add things, and why add new NPCs or new quests, when additional voicework with A-level actors really, really costs and probably provokes fan outrage besides? There's a "canon" game already in the minds of many players, so it may be too late to, say, add a "canon" Valygar romance(not that I'd mind, mind you :) ).

As a long-time user of the g3 mods and eternal BG fan, I just wanted to share a post from Trent Oster on the official Beamdog forums with you guys.

We will do everything we can to keep the game backwards compatible with mods. In the case we fix a bug which a mod was using' date=' we'll try to help the Modders figure out a new implementation.[/quote']

Source

So yeah, it looks like they are pretty much aware of the modding community and the need for backward compatibility. :)

I am really looking forward to the BG:EE.

Today they annouced it on the iPad and set off a fire storm of concern on Twitter that it wasn't on the PC, but Trent Oster calmed everyone down when he said they are committed to the PC of course.

Looks like the screens on the the website they've updated some of the artwork for cutscenes and are rolling with the BG2 interface.

Also annouced a new male NPC and new adventure.

I for one hope that they go back to the BG1 interface that of course is updated, so you get the full nostalgia.

Just yesterday I entered the website and saw that Ipad thingy and for a couple of minutes I was thinking "what the hell?? only for Ipad??" but then I thought that it would be an adding, anyway it makes a lot of sense bussines talking, tho I wonder how you supposed to mod for Ipad......

But just imagine this.... if you're an owner of an Ipad, you will be able to throw fireballs anywhere you are :)

but the distribution and installation could get annoying.

Well, it depends on what kind of DRM Beamdog applies to the game. I've heard their DRM is quite non invasive (as in, you register your copy online on their client and can play it offline everafter). Besides, the good old versions will remain and there'll be people who keep playing them - given the maximum amount of compatibility between mods and BGEE that is possible, I think there won't be (or shouldn't be) too many changes to the modding world :)

Archived