New Baldur's gate?

Haplo

Well, I am new in the modding thingy so my point was that I cannot imagine how you begin to mod for Ipad, how would you install your mod or other mods inside the application for Ipad, how that code works, ect....

Since I'm new to all this... I sincerely can't imagine how to get to that point.... will someone create a WeiDU version that works with Ipad? bottom-line, Will you be able to install any mod at all in the Ipad version of BGEE??

I can't imagine it being horribly different from a Mac version. I don't have an iPad, though, so I don't know.

As long as mods are still supported for the original versions (like hell am I shelling out money for something I already have until the price comes way down), I'm happy.

As I said, I don't know a great deal about coding and computers and such, but shouldn't be different coding for a computer than for an Ipad??

I mean, is it not different to code for PlayStation than for XBOX??

Been so long since I've played or seen BG1 (game discs were stolen ten years ago) that I recall very little of it.
You poor, sorry... oh wait, you lucky SOB... you're in for a $5 treat that anything outside Thailand can't get you. BG1 is much better than BG2.

I'd enjoy playing BG1/TotSC again much more if I could play it using the BG2 engine and visual elements (including the GUI; I dislike all BG-related GUIs I've seen except for W_GUI for BG2), and with equivalents of my very favorite BG2 mods. I'm also limited to what will install and play on my system (I have no access to an Intel Mac, and have no desire to own or use any mobile devices).

Last time I contacted the company to inquire about replacement discs, they told me I needed to send them $10 (jeez, I paid full price for my copies already!) in order to obtain a disc. This cost is steeper for me than it is for the average middle-class folk, as my income is nearly non-existent.

As there are some differences in writing mod files between Windoze and Mac OS X, there might possibly be some differences in how to code certain things for whatever OS the mobile devices like iPads use. I imagine some changes to WeiDU might be necessary, but I'm not well-versed in the esoteric workings of WeiDU.

As there are some differences in writing mod files between Windoze and Mac OS X, there might possibly be some differences in how to code certain things for whatever OS the mobile devices like iPads use. I imagine some changes to WeiDU might be necessary, but I'm not well-versed in the esoteric workings of WeiDU.

I switch mods between PC and Mac all the time, so... I figure once the serious programmers get the changes to WeiDU figured out, everything else will be pretty streamlined.

I guess Baldur's Gate could be the same. It was released in 2000, also 12 years ago this year.

unless you count from 1998...

I was referring to Baldur's Gate 2 actually. My mistake, should've added a "2". -chuckles-

But aye, this whole new BG:EE sounds exaggerated to me. Simply improving the graphics and adding a bit of new content isn't going to give people a reason to buy it (again). They'd have to do a lot of fixing and cleaning up, and do a lot of adding and tweaking, because face it...with the birth of mods, we're spoiled. How many of you actually regularly play a vanilla BG1 or BG2 game? I used to before I knew of mods, but I don't really anymore...unless I have to play through the game to refresh my memory, which I wouldn't call an actual vanilla game playthrough.

But aye, this whole new BG:EE sounds exaggerated to me. Simply improving the graphics and adding a bit of new content isn't going to give people a reason to buy it (again). They'd have to do a lot of fixing and cleaning up, and do a lot of adding and tweaking, because face it...with the birth of mods, we're spoiled.

It is enough reason for me. Even if it turns out bad, I want to try it. Besides, there are other aspects to this. They have the source code and can do lots of things modders cannot. Additionally, they are aware of mods, want to support mods and may even include mod content in the EE (Fixpacks are most likely, of course).

If as They say, this will be a bridge between BG2 and BG3 (or at least a test on the community response to see the viability of a BG3), It would be more than a "face washing", I guess we'll have to wait and see what they come up with, and trust that it will be much more than a new version with fixes that all the mods now days do or apply.

If We are to believe that Their long term project is a BG3, for sure that this EE will have to be a real Improvement with what we're seeing now days in Graphics, sounds, AI, ect.....

Otherwise I venture that only ppl who wants to play in Ipad will purchase the game.

To each their own, Echon. If you care about graphics and sourcecodes, and their plans to include mods into the game, then that's fine.

I personally don't see what the excitement is about. I'd rather choose which mods to install, rather than have BG:EE force me to use the BG Fixpack, for example.

I guess the sourcecode's good to remove hardcoded limitations, but I'm not sure how that works.

Hi Aion,

the source code is the thing. It has no limitations. It's through the source code that developers decide what is hardcoded and what isn't. Anything that is currently hardcoded can be made softcoded, and any hardcoded bug can be fixed if you have the sourcecode. That's why there is potential for great improvements in BGEE: there is virtually no limit to what developers can do. A part from the time at their disposal before the final release of the game, obviously (though I would expect a few patches to be released afterward to fix outstanding bugs if needed, I doubt anything major would be addressed through patches anyway).

As for graphical improvements, as I said I dream of the day when I won't have to instal 3 to 5 mods just to make the game look good by my standard. If all what I currently achieve through cosmetic mods was already there in BGEE my installation would end up being a lot cleaner. Besides, those (BG2) paperdolls and animations are badly in need of a fix. They are absolutely horrible from all standpoints, and pale in comparison to those in BG1. Something has to be done about them :) Moreover, I've always found the number of animations in the game very limited (isn't it annoying that 90% of the fiends display the same, generic "tanar'ri" animation?). Of course there's IA for those... but you can never have too many animations, so they could really add a few.

If BGEE ends up being a missed opportunity, I won't weep: I still own the originals and I can still mod them. Until then, I'll be keeping an eye out for the improvements and backward compatibility of BGEE, in case it turned out to be cool :)

I was overjoyed the day I found out this project was in the works, and I look forward to shelling out whatever they ask for it. Hopefully it will be for a hard-copy, but if I have to I'll even buy digital. Baldur's Gate is still my favorite game ever made, and I look forward to this updated version made by people who are familiar with and enjoy the modding community.

looks like they are applying BG to Ipad, just look how it beautifully fit! Looks like great album to me.

such a perfect interface for Ipad and wish Bioware to succeed on it.

sc2_small.jpg

Heh. BG2 + Widescreen mod. Yep, they really "enhanced" it alright. A proper edition would have the picture and the floating text properly extended to the screen res, not have the empty space redudantly filled in.

Archived