New Baldur's gate?

Haplo

It's a PR piece (meaning a tenuous relationship to truth) and it's aimed at players (who give a flying fig for modders' egos).

The reunion comment probably comes from the beta testing team itself, though, and comments we've made about each other. We are seeing folks active who haven't been around and/or active for years (*cough*), and even modders who aren't jumping into the beta test are still putting in appearances (hello Andy!).

(sigh) I'd give anything for a fig right now. (hint, hint, Russian players are welcome to leave figs near Komsomolsky square, I'll pick them up after work!)

On topic, I know you're doing a huge job. And that's great. But this "everybody who's somebody!!!1oneoneone" and "be there or be square" reminds me of Cut Me Own Throat Dibbler at his business-worst, Pratchett-style.

EDIT: Okay, serious interesting info. I found BGEE forum, and there's a great topic there - the list of things that can't be done.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1588/bgee-please-read-list-of-things-that-cant-be-done

First, no contract exists for a remake of Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale II or Planescape: Torment as of now, which probably means no IWDEE for the next few years at the very least. (As the author of IWD NPC, I wondered).

And this was a huge revelation to me: all the original artwork for BG and BG2 was lost, hence no BG HD is possible. I wonder, how did they manage to destroy/lose/forget all original artwork? I mean, it must be worth millions(salaries, IP, etc)! How do you lose, say, five million dollars? It's Bioware, after all, not some beer kiosk.

And in twenty years or so, when 1920*1200 screens become older than Dendy playstations, and Bioware decides to make, say, a Dragon Age remake, will they lose Dragon Age artwork, too? And Mass Effect one? Garrus and Shepard and Liara? I really hope not.

The lost art thing genuinely surprised me as well and it was the number one obstacle for a real face lift. Remaking the models and the art was out of the question. It'd take too much time and money.

Yeah, a pretty big slip, both that statement and the artwork part.

I wonder when they'll publicly acknowledge gemrb, especially since Avenger is helping with the testing.

Reading the forum gives me motivation to work on 10-person party support though. :D

On topic, I know you're doing a huge job. And that's great. But this "everybody who's somebody!!!1oneoneone" and "be there or be square" reminds me of Cut Me Own Throat Dibbler at his business-worst, Pratchett-style.

As a notable modder who is not part of the beta team, you can count yourself in an elite group which includes Weimer, Ghreyfain, KenTeamBG, and mprilla. :) I think Beamhaul can be excused a bit of exaggeration in the name of enthusiasm.

And this was a huge revelation to me: all the original artwork for BG and BG2 was lost, hence no BG HD is possible. I wonder, how did they manage to destroy/lose/forget all original artwork? I mean, it must be worth millions(salaries, IP, etc)! How do you lose, say, five million dollars? It's Bioware, after all, not some beer kiosk.

The perceived value of the assets was very low, the company has undergone tremendous growth and has been acquired twice in the intervening years. I'm surprised anybody even still knew where the source code was.

I wonder when they'll publicly acknowledge gemrb, especially since Avenger is helping with the testing.

I wouldn't suggest holding your breath...

Reading the forum gives me motivation to work on 10-person party support though. :D

I'll take this over to the GemRB forum, but why would you continue to hardcode a limit? If you're going to go through the effort, do it right and add in a family of IterateOverAllPartyMember() type commands so the insanity of

DoSomething(Player1)

DoSomething(Player2)

DoSomething(Player37)

can finally stop.

And a new romantic interest is - surprise, surprise! - an elvish-looking blonde girl! A mage, too, but her name's is Neera, not Tashia. Hmm. I wonder if she's going to have bathing flirts?
There is solid logic behind all female RIs being spellcasters with elven blood.

Because of prolonged lifespan elves can be still young and pretty, yet have accumulated enough experience to be a decent match for PC, who's got far more intense carrier than normal people.

Spellcasters - because melee combat tends to leave ugly scars.

“Every guy who’s who in the Baldur’s Gate community, who’s ever made a mod or who’s ever made a name for himself, he’s on our beta team, and he’s working with us right now to make this awesome,” Tofer said.
It means we all are on their beta-team, and are working with them right now to make this awesome. Nice part about that is that, unlike BGEE forum members with beta-tester badge, we don't have to actually work.
“Every guy who’s who in the Baldur’s Gate community, who’s ever made a mod or who’s ever made a name for himself, he’s on our beta team, and he’s working with us right now to make this awesome,” Tofer said.
It means we all are on their beta-team, and are working with them right now to make this awesome. Nice part about that is that, unlike BGEE forum members with beta-tester badge, we don't have to actually work.

+1

Another bright spot for those of you not participating:

In all seriousness, I haven't despised the Infinity Engine this much in years. The patina of memory made me think "Aw, some of that stuff wasn't so bad."

I was wrong. It's worse.

In all seriousness, I haven't despised the Infinity Engine this much in years. The patina of memory made me think "Aw, some of that stuff wasn't so bad."

I was wrong. It's worse.

Why such hatred? Compared to some other engines, IE performs quite good.

Why such hatred? Compared to some other engines, IE performs quite good.

Yes, you're right, compared to a lot of ways to get punched in the face it's really not that bad. However.

A big part of the frustration is that it can be difficult to figure out when the engine itself is doing something stupid at a low level, or if Bioware's scripters are doing something stupid at a higher level because they couldn't figure out how the engine worked. Either explanation is completely plausible.

Well, are you going to complain about it, or are you going to actually do something to improve the engine/game?

Since complaining doesn't help, I hope you have some practical contribution at hand.

Oh it's Moongaze/Aion whatever.

Don't you have 9,765,876 mods to work on or another "exclusive" interview for your two followers to read?

While PPG mods are somewhat flawed (not perfect like BWL mods of course) Compton is in the second tier of the community

and deserves some respect. We actually offered him the honor of designing a bam file for one of Valygar's shoes in IA but he

declined.

For those nine elitists out there who demand the ultimate tactical experience Bioware is taking orders from us at BWL and is

making the Improved Elite Tactical Inner Circle BG Edition. More details to follow.

Hi. Does anybody have a bit of time to help me out? I would be forever indebted.

I am very familiar with AD&D. My problem is this: I am not technology savvy. I recently purchased my first smartphone (Samsung Galaxy Note) and when I discovered GemRB I was overjoyed! I have become familiar with the controls and gameplay through the Baldurs Gate II demo and I cant wait until I can play the other supported games. If there is a good link for people like me who can follow explicit instruction, or somebody could kindly take the time to make a step by step guide with the stone-age gamer in mind, I would certainly be most appreciative.

Finn.

Archived