General Mod compatibility with Windows 7

GuiSilva

Title is self explanatory, currently i'm running BG2 with Fixpack, Tweakpack and SCSII on Windows XP with no bugs so far, except that my Shapeshifter won't change shape, but that's beside the point :p

I'm thinking about going for Windows 7, is it compatible with these mods ?

All I.E. mods are compatible with Win 7 (except for their mac versions if any :p )

Just be sure to install outside of the Program Files directories. something like C:\Games is preferred. You may have run into some of it with Win XP, but Win 7 is even worse for permissions regarding modifying files in the Program Files directories.

All I.E. mods are compatible with Win 7 (except for their mac versions if any :p )

Just be sure to install outside of the Program Files directories. something like C:\Games is preferred. You may have run into some of it with Win XP, but Win 7 is even worse for permissions regarding modifying files in the Program Files directories.

So aside from not installing on Program files it's all good ?

yup should be.

may want to consider the usual things like compatibility mode, disabling AV stuff, turning of UAC etc if you do encounter any problems

Tho I have no problems with Win 7 & the BG games and I've not had to do any of those...

yup should be.

may want to consider the usual things like compatibility mode, disabling AV stuff, turning of UAC etc if you do encounter any problems

Tho I have no problems with Win 7 & the BG games and I've not had to do any of those...

Hi I just reinstalled BGII ToB on my recently installed Windows 7, the game is in slow-motion like, everything happening slowly. Anyone here familiar with that ? I updated my grapchics card driver, maybe it's DirectX issue ? don't really know what directX is though :)

I've never encountered such a problem before, tho I'll admit I only installed BG2 to get EasyTutu & BGT setups. The EasyTutu test run for a mod component I was working on had no issues with slow motion or anything.

You should update DirectX if you haven't. No harm in installing it anyway as DirectX only updates those components that aren't up to date already. Tho I've no clue if that would be the cause.

I guess the next question would be if you've already modded the game. There is the possibility of slow down/stuttering especially with an over bloated baldur.bcs or other scripts being poorly done.

I've never encountered such a problem before, tho I'll admit I only installed BG2 to get EasyTutu & BGT setups. The EasyTutu test run for a mod component I was working on had no issues with slow motion or anything.

You should update DirectX if you haven't. No harm in installing it anyway as DirectX only updates those components that aren't up to date already. Tho I've no clue if that would be the cause.

I guess the next question would be if you've already modded the game. There is the possibility of slow down/stuttering especially with an over bloated baldur.bcs or other scripts being poorly done.

Yeah the slowdown beggins after the mods are installed but i'm only using fixpack, tweaks and scs2 and it used to run great with windows XP. I'll try updating DirectX and see what happens.

Updated DirectX and still nothing, and it is after i install the Mods the slowdon begins. Similar things happened when I was playing Icewind dale II i use GeForce 8800GTS 512 and I read that slowing down hardware acceleration would resolve it, and it did everytime I went to play the game I did that and the game ran smoothly.

Weird though is that I have the same mods installed than when I was using Win XP and it was running smoothly it must be some minor adjustment to be made but i have no clue :(

I'll try generalized biffing know and see what happens. Couldn't it be that I have to make some adjustments on my Graphics Card config maybe ??

One more thing that may be important, when i'm finished installing SoA and the icewind Dale demo video launches, it's colors are completely messed up, u can barely see anything looks like a freaking rainbow.

Also there black boxes on the unrevealed part of the map, I've never experienced that with BG2 but i did with Icewind Dale 2.

Finally I got it. After reading a ton of stuff, a lot of useless and misleading information and a few good ones I've done a lot of testing and managed to make the game run smoothly like it did before.

Anybody having trouble with running on Windows 7 just let me know and i'll post a step by step of what I did.

Also thanks everybody for the help !!

i am curious as to what you needed to do...

in the Bg installation folder, look for "openglsetup" icon, right cliclk -> compatibility -> check the boxes "run in 256 colors" ; "run in 640x800" ; and other one to deactivate some desktop thing.

This turned off hardware acceleration as I couldn't manually disable it on Windows 7, it doesn't allow it because apparently Windows 7 needs it. So what you have to do is disable for the specific game you want.

No more black boxes on the fog of war, no more slow downs, it's all good now :)

Archived