Install Order questions

xbenbox

Hello Everyone,

I'm quite new to the Baldur's Gate series as a whole. I recently bought the anthology edition from Amazon and am hoping to get started soon. Before doing that, however, I have been reading about the mods provided by this forum and want to do a clean install to be safe. I'm just curious as if the links provided are still up to date as some of them are from quite a few years back.

http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,17556.msg236895.html#msg236896 This link was last updated in 2004-2005 ish and I'm not sure if I should continue to follow it if I'm installed fresh on Win 7 (Not sure if CDs are already up to date either)

Also, if anyone could tell me what the top mods currently being used are for this game, that'd be very helpful. I think I'm planning on using widescreen and Tutu for sure. Nevertheless, there are some others that seem to enhance gameplay quite a bit such as characters, questpacks, and soundpacks. I'm not sure where to begin looking so any help would be great! Open to suggestions and thanks again!

See the Tutu Mod List in my signature. I don't know if there's a "recommended" mod set, as everyone has their own recommended mods. You could also check the BiG World Project. Start with the install guide, which has various categories of mods (recommended, tactical, "expert" aka probably buggy etc.).

those instructions are still valid. Only thing you need to make sure you do differently (since its not stated) is to install to any directory you want outside of Program Files. In other words, choose your own directory rather than going with the default. Windows 7 protects the Program Files directories and you'll be asking for trouble if you install to the default location.

To learn what version # you are using in order to apply any patches as necessary:

1) Run the game.

2) Start a new game or load a save

3) Go to the options screen. In BG1 it is the icon that looks like a floppy disk

4) On the lower left of the screen should be the version # that the game is currently patched up to.

If you are going to do Tutu for the BG1 portion of the games, then I'd recommend Unfinished Business BG1 (it is Tutu compatible) & BG2 Tweaks as it has some convenience tweaks which are nice to have. You'll have to remember that Tutu is treated as BG2 since it uses that engine. So mods for BG1 need to state that they are compatible with Tutu.

See the Tutu Mod List in my signature. I don't know if there's a "recommended" mod set, as everyone has their own recommended mods. You could also check the BiG World Project. Start with the install guide, which has various categories of mods (recommended, tactical, "expert" aka probably buggy etc.).

Thanks for the advice! I was looking through the site and didn't really see the install guide anywhere. The closest thing to an install guide I've found is http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=8122 , but I'm not really sure if I understand how to follow that guide. If you could post a direct link to the guide, that'd be great!

those instructions are still valid. Only thing you need to make sure you do differently (since its not stated) is to install to any directory you want outside of Program Files. In other words, choose your own directory rather than going with the default. Windows 7 protects the Program Files directories and you'll be asking for trouble if you install to the default location.

To learn what version # you are using in order to apply any patches as necessary:

1) Run the game.

2) Start a new game or load a save

3) Go to the options screen. In BG1 it is the icon that looks like a floppy disk

4) On the lower left of the screen should be the version # that the game is currently patched up to.

If you are going to do Tutu for the BG1 portion of the games, then I'd recommend Unfinished Business BG1 (it is Tutu compatible) & BG2 Tweaks as it has some convenience tweaks which are nice to have. You'll have to remember that Tutu is treated as BG2 since it uses that engine. So mods for BG1 need to state that they are compatible with Tutu.

Thanks for the help with identifying the correct patch and version number of the game. I will also install into another area (no program files x86) to avoid the complications. Also, if you have any links for "Unfinished Business BG1" and others, I would be happy to download them and install. It's just that there are so many different links, I'm not really sure which one is the "complete" version or the most up to date one. Thanks again for all your help!

Actually, if there is a guide for those who are starting off which includes mods to install, that would be most beneficial for me. Again, I'm just starting off so I'm not really sure where to begin and the vast amount of info and links are a bit daunting.

Also, if you have any links for "Unfinished Business BG1" and others, I would be happy to download them and install

This is by no means a complete list of mods compatible with Tutu, however it should get you started in getting some ideas.

http://modlist.pocketplane.net/index.php?ax=list&cat_id=98

You will find the link to BG1 Unfinished Business in the quest mods section.

Thanks for the advice! I was looking through the site and didn't really see the install guide anywhere. The closest thing to an install guide I've found is http://forums.gibber...?showtopic=8122 , but I'm not really sure if I understand how to follow that guide. If you could post a direct link to the guide, that'd be great!
That is the link, and it includes links to all other Tutu mods. It is kind of hard to read, but just go down it from #1 to whatever and install the mods in that order. If you don't like the sound of a mod or are not sure, just don't install it.

Thanks a bunch for the help. Sorry for the late response as I've been trying to figure out which mods I want to put together during my first install. I just had a couple of questions regarding http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=8122 . This page lists the order of install for the mods, but some of the links are not working, specifically, the sound mods. I was wondering how much the Tutu would affect the game and if I would have to install new sound packs to circumvent any issues that may occur.

Also, the site lists a possible incompatibility between the TutuGUI mod and the Widescreen mod. As I'd like to have both, I was wondering if there is any way to avoid issues between them or if I'd just have to choose one over the other?

Also, if you have any links for "Unfinished Business BG1" and others, I would be happy to download them and install

This is by no means a complete list of mods compatible with Tutu, however it should get you started in getting some ideas.

http://modlist.pocke...=list&cat_id=98

You will find the link to BG1 Unfinished Business in the quest mods section.

Thank's for this. I will definitely be installing Unfinished Business BG1 with EasyTutu, but am wondering if the Unfinished Business pack for BG2 also works with EasyTutu as it is an old file and I didn't see any compatibility with EasyTutu.

Hopefully my first time install will go smoothly!

Also, the site lists a possible incompatibility between the TutuGUI mod and the Widescreen mod. As I'd like to have both, I was wondering if there is any way to avoid issues between them or if I'd just have to choose one over the other?
hmm as i understand it TutuGui modifies the Gui of BG2 to look like BG1. However it is only designed to work with the base game dimensions. It MAY and I stress MAY be possible to install TutuGui first to change the graphic images and then install Widescreen. This is something that you'll have to experiment with...

Thank's for this. I will definitely be installing Unfinished Business BG1 with EasyTutu, but am wondering if the Unfinished Business pack for BG2 also works with EasyTutu as it is an old file and I didn't see any compatibility with EasyTutu.

BG2's UB will install onto EasyTutu but since Tutu doesn't actually access any BG2 content you most likely won't see any of the changes. So it is not worth installing BG2 UB on any Tutu game.

Yea it turns out that the TutuGui does indeed work with the Widescreen mod.

hmm as i understand it TutuGui modifies the Gui of BG2 to look like BG1. However it is only designed to work with the base game dimensions. It MAY and I stress MAY be possible to install TutuGui first to change the graphic images and then install Widescreen. This is something that you'll have to experiment with...

BG2's UB will install onto EasyTutu but since Tutu doesn't actually access any BG2 content you most likely won't see any of the changes. So it is not worth installing BG2 UB on any Tutu game.

Oh, I thought the tutu program makes it so you can have one complete playthrough, but I guess it was separate. Also, I'm unable to get the BG2 Tweaks to work. I've installed it in the correct order according to http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=8122.

There is no weidu log information regarding it so it must not be installed properly. What happens is the command prompt pops up for a brief second and then disappears. I seems that the initial parts are failing so I can't get a proper install. If anyone has suggestions regarding this please let me know. Thanks!

Archived