No voice on some NPC after installing ToB

slaskpolski

Hi everyone

I have very strange problem. Long time ago i remembered when I played clean BG2. Today i decided to renew

my memories with BG2 and Tob installed. I noticed that after instalation TOB some NPC sound don't play

(f.e. Reliev in 1st level Irenicus Dungeon). I examined my problem and figured out that the responsible

files might be on Soa CDs so i fullfilled all folders with missing files (CD2, CD3, CD4, CD5) and

changed baldur.ini following lines:

[Alias]

HD0:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate 2

CD1:=F:\CD1\

CD2:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate 2\CD2\;F:\CD2\

CD3:=F:\CD3\

CD4:=F:\CD4\

CD5:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate 2\CD5\

to:

[Alias]

HD0:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate 2

CD1:=F:\CD1\

CD2:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate 2\CD2\

CD3:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate 2\CD3\

CD4:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate 2\CD4\

CD5:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate 2\CD5\

Does anyone have idea how to fix that? I own very old polish collectioner edition (4Cds)

and separately bought expansion ToB. sorry in advance if thread isn't destinated for my topic

I don't know about the Polish version, but I also still own my old 4-CD UK version of BG2.

I choose to do a Full Install, and the installation program asks for all the CD's during installation.

After doing so, I tend to start up the game (SoA), configure it, and exit the game. (though I know this isn't required, I just like to)

Then I do a Full Install of ToB, and then run the config and game.

In the game, under Audio Options, I select to always play selection/movement sounds and such. Also I make sure the volume is up to a decent level.

Afterwards, I modify baldur.ini to add CLUAConsole to the game (I am a modder after all), and I apply the latest official ToB patch.

Then I make a backup of BGMain.exe, Chitin.key, Dialog.talk, and the Override folder...and I'm ready to go.

Apply any fixpack I want, and any mods I want, and play the game.

In short: Do a Full Install with both SoA and ToB, and apply the latest ToB patch. In your case, I think that's either the European patch or the International patch, whichever has Polish language, if you do not use the English language version.

TOB does causes minor changes as I experienced similar.

If you play Shadow of Amns installation only, you will hear battle music at the fighting scene of Irenicus in the Waukeen's Promenade when you just pops out from Irenicus' Deongeon.

With TOB installation, the battle music won't play..

I think expansion always cause these minor problems, which can not really be fixed with patches neither.

I made similar thread on how my Icewind Dale prologue not having narrator's voice after installation of Heart of the Winter, even after getting brand new CD I'm still having the same problem.

I tried to use polish DVD edition, but it didn't change anything. The only profit is that installation is quicker, but install ToB with SoA at once.

I don't know much about modding BG2 but maybe sounds can be "restored" in the same you give NPC mod voice by simply putting sound files in Override (in case for Reliev) or rewriting scripts (for cutscene with Irenicus In Promenade).

Maybe Icewind Gate did something with that.

Anyway, I hope they will fix these issues in BG2 enhanced edition.

I did some research with NearInfinity and found out that ToB's vanilla Dialog.tlk deleted "connections" between strings and their sound files.

Would it be possible for Weidu to compare two different tlks (i mean type of string and associated wav.file) and merge them?

I did some research with NearInfinity and found out that ToB's vanilla Dialog.tlk deleted "connections" between strings and their sound files.

Would it be possible for Weidu to compare two different tlks (i mean type of string and associated wav.file) and merge them?

get a copy of weidu.exe and put it in each game directory.

copy the SoA dialog.tlk file and rename it to dialogSoA.tlk

move it into a folder within the ToB game

then run this either inside a .bat file or typed directly

weidu --tlkcmp-from "dialog.tlk" --tlkcmp-to "%main_mod_dir%dialog.tlk" --out "%new_mod_name%\tlk\GameText.tph" > %new_mod_name%/%filename%.dump

this is stripped from a 'conversion tool' i was making to convert non-weidu mods into patching mods. however, while it 'patches' they still be considered overwriting as it would only 'patch' at that exact current setup of the game it was being compared to. At any rate what you'll get is a comparison of the current dialog.tlk which should be the ToB dialog tlk to the SoA dialog.tlk The resultant out put will be a list of string set commands and tra references on a file called gametext.tph in a tlk directory underneath whatever directory name you decide to replace the variable with. the dump file is for any errors etc that may crop up. This way you'll be able to see what changes were made by ToB to the SoA dialog.tlk. you can reverse the order of the dialog.tlk files. in either case it will tell you what is different about them. the only difference is what happens if the resultant tph file is ran within a mod. I suggest you don't actually do that. Just use it to get the differences and to see if anything was done so that maybe something could be done to 'fix' it

Archived