Which race in DnD has ability to speak through dream?

Riseofbane

Or which class in particular?

Warning: Spoiler

I know Irenicus from BG2 has ability to intrude others dream and communicate through it and he is an elf. But I don't know if it's because he is an elf or maybe he got that ability through experimenting creatures in his lab..

Another example is the elven matriarch (forgot the name) from Suldanesseler sent message while your main characters were asleep (or while passed out, can't really remember)..

If it is elf, what other races are capable of this? or which class particularly?

Can't find this on google so if you are into DnD maybe you can tell me this.

I know Irenicus from BG2 has ability to intrude others dream and communicate through it and he is an elf

Not really, this character looks like to irenicus but he is just a symbol. A symbol of taint of bhaal...

Otherwise yes I think that wizards could intrude in your dream and all people which have magic power enough powerful. Githyanki ? Mindflayer ?

By 3e rules, wizards can in general. http://www.d20srd.or...pells/dream.htm

I was actually looking for the instance given from DnD story from its book or source, not the made-up from game.

I know Irenicus from BG2 has ability to intrude others dream and communicate through it and he is an elf

Not really, this character looks like to irenicus but he is just a symbol. A symbol of taint of bhaal...

Otherwise yes I think that wizards could intrude in your dream and all people which have magic power enough powerful. Githyanki ? Mindflayer ?

Actually only few dreams out of all Irenicus dreams were about taint of Bhaal. I can never find the Dungeons and Dragons as in book says wizards in general can intrude your dream? not sure where you find that source.

Githyanki and Mindflayer can surely hypnotize you through mind, but it isn't sure if they can do it through dream..

Is that ever confirmed? I'm not sure why Ellesime would have been all, "he's had a chance to speak, now it's my turn," if the Irenicus dreams weren't legitimate.

I appreciate for your effort to find that quote, thanks! and Irenicus and Ellesime are both elf. And I'm sure Irenicus dreams were legitimate. they also have high knowledge of arcane magics and also possesses some degree of divine power.

Why am I asking this? well.. the character in Easthaven from Icewind Dale named Elisia near the shore of the lake actually can intrude others dream by singing, but her race isn't clear although the dialogue says she has a look of an elf.

So I'm wondering if this ability is the only special ability by elves based on DnD story.. I'm also aware Dryad does magic through singing but not really sure if they can do it through dream...

By 3e rules, wizards can in general. http://www.d20srd.or...pells/dream.htm

I was actually looking for the instance given from DnD story from its book or source, not the made-up from game.

That is from the sourcebook. =/ DnD is a game first, so looking at the spells in the rulebooks is probably better than going to random novels. There are quite a few arcane spells that involve dream manipulation, and a suitably powerful mage (like Irenicus, and IIRC, Ellesime) would be able to create whatever additional spells they want.

It's not a special ability of elves. Bards are arcane spellcasters also, so that could be part of what was going on with Elisia.

If you're looking at Elisia in IWD, there is a connection between her and the dreamer that has nothing to do with her race. Elisia is an acquatic elf who fell in love with a human's dragon-slayer ancestor. She has now fallen in love with the human fisherman and is only able to communicate through his dreams. She has been keeping a magical sword for him and once he gets the magical sword, the dreams end. But yes, Elisia is a bard.

In this case, the magical ability to communicate through dreams is probably conferred through fated romance rather then through race or class abilities.

I would say, from a racial point of view, and by not looking at the books (I don't have them, ape....ape..on..my person..yes, upon my person), I would say any race with telepathic abilities might be able to invade the mind. Such as mind flayers, the gith, the aboleth (the fish in the tank at Ust Natha, the drow city), beholders, possibly some demons/devils/aberrations/celestials/deities.

didn't know there were aquatic elf in DnD hah. Although I know drow lives Underdark deep inside ocean. Anyway I guess anyone with high arcane knowledge should be able to communicate through dream I guess. Thanks for clearing this up.

Sea elves, definitely. They hae telepathic communication with sea critters.

Hags? Depends on the type. Powerful ones like Ravel Puzzlewell...I can imagine they can. Generic sea hags, eh, probably not so much.

Archived