Bugs/Issues & Hotfixes for SR V3.1 (June 25th 2013)

Demivrgvs

Imprisonment as perma-maze can be game breaking if you don't have a freedom scroll handy. All subsequent attempts to rest or enter auto-save areas will fail ("can't rest while party is scattered" / "you must gather your party before venturing forth"). I haven't tried removing the afflicted from my party yet, but obviously that wouldn't work if the protagonist got imprisoned.

Sorry if you already knew this, but a quick search didn't find any mention of it.

In my last game (SR + SCS2), I found the following bugs:

1) Call Lightning seems to call only one bolt regardless caster level;

2) Invisibility Purge, though belongs to the school of Abjuration, failed to dispel Improved Invisibility under SI:D. Thief's detect illusion ability also fails before this combo. Is it intended for balance purpose?

3) Phantom Blade doesn't have bonus 10 damage against undead;

4) Protection from Fire/Cold (both mage and cleric versions) should protect against secondary effect of Fire Shield Red/Blue, respectively, to avoid zero damage wound;

Also, I noticed that the AI's version of Spell Shield (lv5) properly consumes one anti-magic attack, while player's version (lv8) behaves like a Greater GoI. Demi said that SS was borken in another post one year ago. I wonder, is SS finally get fixed lately and thus adapted by SCS2? If so, will we see legacy SS back in SR v3.1 hotfix or in v4?

Imprisonment

Imprisonment as perma-maze can be game breaking if you don't have a freedom scroll handy. All subsequent attempts to rest or enter auto-save areas will fail ("can't rest while party is scattered" / "you must gather your party before venturing forth"). I haven't tried removing the afflicted from my party yet, but obviously that wouldn't work if the protagonist got imprisoned.

Sorry if you already knew this, but a quick search didn't find any mention of it.

A similar discussion was brought up ages ago and I thought we sorted it out somehow. I actually believed we made the "permanent" duration less permanent to allow resting, but if you say rest is not allowed I probably don't remember well. Mmm...

Btw, let's hope BGEE developers can easily edit the exe or the opcode to finally fix this damn spell, so that we modders don't have to resort to sub-optimal tweaks! :(

Various

2) Invisibility Purge, though belongs to the school of Abjuration, failed to dispel Improved Invisibility under SI:D. Thief's detect illusion ability also fails before this combo. Is it intended for balance purpose?

4) Protection from Fire/Cold (both mage and cleric versions) should protect against secondary effect of Fire Shield Red/Blue, respectively, to avoid zero damage wound;

1) I cannot reproduce this. The duration of this spell is actually hardcoded within the spell's projectiles (from #81 to #84), with projectile #81 being calling one bolt, and #85 calling 1 bolt ever round for 5 rounds. Are you expecting to see multiple bolts in the same round? Or is it that after the first bolt nothing else happens in the following rounds (with enemies still on sight)?

2) Well, it's not really intended for me, but I guess SCS prefers it that way. It's the reverse of SI:Abj not protecting from Pierce Magic or similar spells. Hopefully, SR V4 will be able to handle this whole matter in a much better way.

3) I'll try to test it in-game, but the EFF file is there and seems coded right.

4) Good catch, strange I haven't done it already. Will do asap.

Spell Shield

Also, I noticed that the AI's version of Spell Shield (lv5) properly consumes one anti-magic attack, while player's version (lv8) behaves like a Greater GoI. Demi said that SS was borken in another post one year ago. I wonder, is SS finally get fixed lately and thus adapted by SCS2? If so, will we see legacy SS back in SR v3.1 hotfix or in v4?
The fixed Spell Shield that SCS is finally using again since its latest versions is actually a fix I "invented" myself, and coded by Ardanis, thus you can bet it will surely be part of SR V4.

Within SRV4 the current 8th lvl version will simply be renamed Greater Globe of Invulnerability. :)

1) I cannot reproduce this. The duration of this spell is actually hardcoded within the spell's projectiles (from #81 to #84), with projectile #81 being calling one bolt, and #85 calling 1 bolt ever round for 5 rounds. Are you expecting to see multiple bolts in the same round? Or is it that after the first bolt nothing else happens in the following rounds (with enemies still on sight)?

2) Well, it's not really intended for me, but I guess SCS prefers it that way. It's the reverse of SI:Abj not protecting from Pierce Magic or similar spells. Hopefully, SR V4 will be able to handle this whole matter in a much better way.

I'm 90% sure I don't edit SI:Div or Invisibility Purge, so either

(i) this is vanilla-game behaviour; or

(ii) the protection came from something else. (Minor Globe of Invulnerability? Being a lich or rakshasa?)

The fixed Spell Shield that SCS is finally using again since its latest versions is actually a fix I "invented" myself, and coded by Ardanis, thus you can bet it will surely be part of SR V4.

And indeed the code I use is a direct INCLUDE of Ardanis'.

Invisibility Purge vs. SI:Div

(ii) the protection came from something else. (Minor Globe of Invulnerability? Being a lich or rakshasa?)

It's vanilla's behavior, because SI:Div grants direct immunity to 'detect invisibility' opcode. I we wish to change that. we could tweak SI:Div to not grant such immunity if used by non-Divination spells.

Spell Shield

And indeed the code I use is a direct INCLUDE of Ardanis'.
:)

This reminds me that I should indeed work on SR V4 as soon as possible. :(

My result is that nothing happened after the first bolt. Yes, I had been carefully keeping my druid as close to the target as possible (aways less than 20' I think). I'll try with a cleaner game installation and report later...

3) I'll try to test it in-game, but the EFF file is there and seems coded right.
I tried to modify weapon damage from 0d0 to 1d2 and now the bonus damage works. Maybe moving the eff from global effect to melee ability works?

Spell Shield

Within SRV4 the current 8th lvl version will simply be renamed Greater Globe of Invulnerability. :)

Good Job!

I checked the file shipped with SR. It has three major effects:

1) protect form school: div

2) immune to effect: detect invisible

3) immune to effect: true sight

Vanilla version (ToB+24698, nothing more) only has the 1st effect. While whether thieves should see invisibility under SI: Div is a balance question, the problem with Invisibility Purge is much simplie -- we can just change it back to a divinatory spell :p

EDIT:

Call Lightning

Finally I find the problem: if there is one and only one enemy nearby, there will always be one and only one bolt. For two or more enemies, the spell works fine.

Call Lightning

My result is that nothing happened after the first bolt. Yes, I had been carefully keeping my druid as close to the target as possible (aways less than 20' I think). I'll try with a cleaner game installation and report later...
Let me know, if you can reproduce the bug I'll test it myself asap.

Phantom Blade

I tried to modify weapon damage from 0d0 to 1d2 and now the bonus damage works. Maybe moving the eff from global effect to melee ability works?
LOL, I come back here to write exactly this. :) As you say, the problem seems to be the missing physical base dmg. I'll try to move the EFF into the melee header (I wouldn't do that for normal weapons because it splits the total dmg, but if the sword has no physical dmg it's fine) and see if it works. If it doesn't I'll find anoer solution.

Spell Immunity: Divination

1) protect form school: dib

Vanilla version (ToB+24698, nothing more) only has the 1st effect. While whether thieves should see invisibility under SI: Div is a balance question, the problem with Invisibility Purge is much simplie -- we can just change it back to a divinatory spell :p

I really don't remember tweaking SI:Div, maybe it's a FixPack legacy, maybe it's a tweak so old that I have forgotten it. Anyway, Invisibility Purge is supposed to be an Abj spell in PnP, and I was planning to make it really different from wizard' Detect Invisibility, but depending on other things there are two solutions:

1) make SI:Div not protect from IP

2) replace IP with a copy of wizard's Detect Invisibility

Btw, which effect is used for Thief's Detect Illusion skill? Is it tweakable?

Call Lightning

Let me know, if you can reproduce the bug I'll test it myself asap.
See bottom of post #51

Spell Immunity: Divination

1) protect form school: dib

I really don't remember tweaking SI:Div, maybe it's a FixPack legacy, maybe it's a tweak so old that I have forgotten it. Anyway, Invisibility Purge is supposed to be an Abj spell in PnP, and I was planning to make it really different from wizard' Detect Invisibility, but depending on other things there are two solutions:

1) make SI:Div not protect from IP

2) replace IP with a copy of wizard's Detect Invisibility

Btw, which effect is used for Thief's Detect Illusion skill? Is it tweakable?

1) Player party will have more advantage over AI party since player's mage and cleric cooperate more "seamlessly";

2) that is fine for me.

---

I really don't have an idea how thief's ability works I did some search work some time ago aiming to find how much points should be invested in this skill and found no solid answer. I guess this is hardcoded in the engine.

I have fixed it to work flawlessly during my recent playthrough, but I won't be able to access the fix for some more time (1-2 weeks).

This is a partial solution, because the blade's damage is supposed to be pure magical and ignore physical resistance/AC. Since the EFF's bonus only applies to header's damage, the blade's magic damage should be delivered via SPL, containing undead-targeting EFFs (1d12+14 damage and immunity to the rest of the SPL) to ensure the damage is not split in the dialogue window.

I really don't have an idea how thief's ability works I did some search work some time ago aiming to find how much points should be invested in this skill and found no solid answer. I guess this is hardcoded in the engine.

Thief's detect illusion works like this: once per round to all applicable creatures (i.e. hostiles) in range engine applies opcode #220 ("remove school") with param1=9 (max lvl), param2=5 (illusion school), probabilityLimitLow=0, probabilityLimitHigh=detectIllusion; the rest of the effect's fields are default (i.e. no school/sectype/save/etc.). One conclusion is that >100 effective detect illusions score is meaningless.

Actually, all modal state effects are handled in one huge function, and everything there is hardcoded - so it is tweakable only via executable editing.

Hello Demi

Long time since I last had time to play (and even post) but being sick gives me some time...

Would you mind have a look at the Hakeashar's Feeblemind, as I had it used against me in the Thiefhold fight, and Nalia managed to get stunned for what seemed to be hours (had to ctrl+r to get her out of it).

Cheers

Hello Demi Long time since I last had time to play (and even post) but being sick gives me some time...
I'm so busy lately I might hope to get sick too to get some relief. :D

Hakeashar

Would you mind have a look at the Hakeashar's Feeblemind, as I had it used against me in the Thiefhold fight, and Nalia managed to get stunned for what seemed to be hours (had to ctrl+r to get her out of it). Cheers
Any Feeblemind effect has permanent duration. The easiest way to counter it within SR is the relatively cheap Break Enchantment spell, available to both clerics and mages. Personally I don't think the ability needs to be nerfed considering Hakeashar melee ability is nothing to write home about, and that its "mind breaking" attack also allows a rather easy save (no penalty). We're talking about a 7th lvl summon, and I expect a party facing such high lvl spells to be decently prepared. Am I wrong?

Is everyone using Lightning Bolt without problems? This is my 3rd time playing v3 and i still have problems with the spell. (I reported that already)

Sometimes it works, sometimes it does nada, even on the same creature. I don't know how to reproduce it, it seems random.

-ToBEx

-Item Rev

-Spell Rev

-Some tweaks

-SCSII

I made several screenshots but won't be at my desktop for a while.

Archived