New Arcane Spells for v4

Fog Cloud

So you still prefer this solution instead of limited line of sight?
I believe you didn't understand my point then :)I prefer both - reducing LOS gives advantage to those outside of cloud, while II effect - to those within it. The spell doesn't have any definite bonus or penalty, but is neutral, so it is up to the caster to decide whether the benefit will outweight the penalty or not.
I'd like to know what other players think about making creatures within the fog semi-invisible. One more thing, implementing it would make this spell the ultimate anti-thief spell as true invisibility would be impossible, not even via hide in shadows...it really doesn't convince me.

Deafness

So no Soundburst? :( What would be the point of Deafness? No one would ever cast it instead of Blindeness, not to mention SCS tweak to True Seeing (which we'll have to match) makes even Blindness a much less effective spell.
I thought about two effects in one spell.
Man I was tempted to add Bestow Curse to priests and have it work this way (though at 3rd lvl), but I have to admit that moving Blindness to its PnP lvl and merge it with Deafness makes sense.

Soundburst, you did want to have a unique spellbook for bards, no?
Another point taken, especially considering Evokers already have 4 spells at this lvl, covering almost all dmg types, including physical one with Battering Ram.

@Ardanis, on a side note, do you think making bard's spellbook (not to mention paladin and ranger ones) a little more unique belong to SR? I think re-arraging the spellbooks (e.g. removing Animate Dead and similar spells to paladins, making multi ranger/cleric not use all druid's spells, and so on) belongs to KR, not SR. Don't you agree? And if yes, shouldn't an eventual bard-only Soundburst be added only by KR and not SR?

Snilloc's Snowball Swarm

AFAIR there's a similar spell in IWD2, can't you use that graphic. I'd really love that spell into BG2.
Actually there's this very spell within IWD, but afaik this is one of those spells using an hardcoded projectile which I cannot import to BG.

Beware, new 4th lvl spells are coming! ;)

Edited by Demivrgvs

Fog Cloud

I'd like to know what other players think about making creatures within the fog semi-invisible. One more thing, implementing it would make this spell the ultimate anti-thief spell as true invisibility would be impossible, not even via hide in shadows...it really doesn't convince me.

You know my mage likes theese anti-thief spells very much, the thieves are a tiresome bunch most of the time :)

Bring it on!

Fog Cloud

I prefer both - reducing LOS gives advantage to those outside of cloud, while II effect - to those within it. The spell doesn't have any definite bonus or penalty, but is neutral, so it is up to the caster to decide whether the benefit will outweight the penalty or not.

I'm with Andaris here. As I said before, it should not last long though.

Yes it would make the spell a thiefes nightmare, but I don't see how this could be a problem at all (assumed the spell dont last for ages). Why on earth would a thief give up his advantage of a prepared attack to enter the fog and try to backstab? Logically he waits for the better moment. I wouldn't use my thief on targets within the fog anyway, because the planned -4 penalty to melee hit rolls lets me think twice about it. My suggestion: make it last as long as PfMW.

Animate Dead

Like it.

Icelance

This spell rocks imo. I just hope I can make it use a decent animation. I'd keep its classic 5d6 dmg (no save), either 100% cold dmg a la IWD or 2d6 piercing dmg + 3d6 cold dmg a la PnP, but I was thinking to modify its stunning effect a little. Instead of "stun" opcode I'd use a "hold" one which doesn't count as a mind affecting effect. It all depends on how we think this spell is supposed to work, but I think the target isn't stunned because of the dmg, but impaled by the lance itself, thus a physical paralyzation and not a mental one.

Whatever way you choose - it will be fine.

Keen Edge

I really hoped it would make it into the game. ;(

Ooooo new shiny ones!

Edited by Lawlight

4th Level Spells

In theory we had little to no space here, but we can gain quite a few spell slots by making the two Fire Shield spells a single one for example, by merging Spider Spawn into MSIV (everyone seems to hate gnolls anyway), by moving Dimension Door elsewhere, and eventually by keeping only one between Farsight and Wizard Eye (they do the same thing). Anyway, let's see what we could add here, as always in order of my preference.

Phantasmal Killer

A true must have imo, pratically Spook on steroids. We can easily make it work a la PnP: target must save vs. spell (at -2 penalty perhaps, or following Spook's progression) to disbelieve the phantom, if that save fails another save vs. death is required (this time with no penalty imo) to avoid death. If the second save is successful the target still takes 3d6 points of non-lethal dmg (aka stunning dmg).

Vitriolic Sphere

Acid dmg is heavily underrepresented, and this is a quite classic spell (4th lvl within AD&D, and 5th lvl within 3E). This is pratically an Acid Arrow which lasts less but deal more dmg, with even a small blast radius. Well, the two versions of this spell (AD&D and 3E) actually are much more different than it seems at first look. AD&D one only deals very little dmg to secondary targets within 5 feet (and only once on the first round), whereas 3E sphere has full effect on all targets within its 10 feet splash, though to balance that they made the sphere allow a first save to avoid all damage. I'd probably make it as per AD&D, what version do you prefer?

Mordenkainen's Force Missiles

This would pratically be Evocation's version of Flame Arrow, firing Magic Missiles instead of arrows, and each with a small blast radius. For some reason PnP dmg (the same within AD&D and 3E) seems kinda OP to me, as each force missile deals up to 2d4 dmg (no save) + 25 dmg to target and anyone within 5 feet (save to negate), and you get up to 7 missiles. I guess the "save to negate" instead of "save for half" is what should keep it balanced (ironically that's pretty much what I suggested to do for FA), but even 14d4 (no save) alone is kinda significant, and on a failed save 174 magic damage is a disintegration spell!! o_O A 1st lvl Shield spell blocks this spell ok, but I doubt it's enough to balance it considering only mages have such counter - for everyone else this pretty much seems an Improved Disintegrate. Am I missing something?

On a side note, now that ToBEx should allow us to make subspells to work on contingencies/triggers, I'm thinking of making both Flame Arrow and this spell work a la SI, keeping the current "random targets" version available for contingencies/triggers (the other wouldn't work), while allowing the other version to work as vanilla's Wand of Lightning, aka allowing to select the target of each arrow/missile.

Enervation

This is a very canonic spell, and kinda unique too considering only a single 9th lvl spell works in a similar way. It would be pretty much as per PnP: no save allowed, target TEMPORARILY loses 2 levels. In PnP you regain lost lvls after up to 15 hours but I wouldn't make it more than 8 hours (at least you can rest to regain them).

Ardanis suggested to make it replace the currently unappealing Contagion, but while it makes sense, and it may allow to see this spell used by the AI without a new SCS update, I feel it's a pity to remove one of the very few sources of disease (the only other spells causing disease are Dolorous Decay and Symbol of Weakness). :(

Dimensional Anchor

It's not a true must-have spell, but it's rather canonic. The spell would be simple, immunity to maze-like effects (such as Shadow Door's secondary effect, Maze itself, Imprisonment) and teleporting effects (Teleport Field, which won't allow a save again). Allowing at least one counter to Imprisonment is important imo (though we can also consider Freedom), but if we end up not having space for it I think that even granting it only to clerics could be fine (they already are dedicated to buffs and protections).

Animate Ghouls

Within AD&D this would be called Undead Summoning II. Anyway, it's simple, now that 6th lvl Create Undead summons Skeleton Warriors I'd like to keep those lovely ghasts summonable in some way, but we may try to find another way if we don't have space here.

Edited by Demivrgvs

Fog Cloud

The anti-thief effect is something I didn't consider... Then it is simply a stationary Detect Invisibility, where you can hide from backstabbing people. Was it only Web getting smaller radius, or clouds too? Well, I suppose if David and Avenger didn't ban us for Glitterdust, they will definitely do now.

Reduced LOS, AC vs missiles, and attack penalties then. But it really bogs me casters will be able to shoot at clouded opponents without penalty.

I'd take 5 splash damage instead of 25. But even 2d4*7 without a save is almost overmuch.

Enervation

Ardanis suggested to make it replace the currently unappealing Contagion, but while it makes sense, and it may allow to see this spell used by the AI without a new SCS update, I feel it's a pity to remove one of the very few sources of disease (the only other spells causing disease are Dolorous Decay and Symbol of Weakness). :(
Shouldn't 2nd Blindness/Deafness make up for it?

Vitriolic Sphere

Since we generally look for ways to avoid save-or-else spells, I'd take ADnD version.

@Ardanis, on a side note, do you think making bard's spellbook (not to mention paladin and ranger ones) a little more unique belong to SR? I think re-arraging the spellbooks (e.g. removing Animate Dead and similar spells to paladins, making multi ranger/cleric not use all druid's spells, and so on) belongs to KR, not SR. Don't you agree? And if yes, shouldn't an eventual bard-only Soundburst be added only by KR and not SR?
IR shares the same problem, doesn't it? :)

How would you implement it, though? Learn from bard-only scrolls, or automatically add upon level-up? Since the latter requires CLAB***.2DA modification, I'd left it for KR, otherwise SR looks a fine place to add few scrolls in shops.

If it's scrolls, then I'd expect an opportunity to pick it at character creation as well, and unless I miss something, that's impossible without opening the spell to wizards.

In theory we had little to no space here, but we can gain quite a few spell slots by making the two Fire Shield spells a single one for example, by merging Spider Spawn into MSIV (everyone seems to hate gnolls anyway), by moving Dimension Door elsewhere, and eventually by keeping only one between Farsight and Wizard Eye (they do the same thing). Anyway, let's see what we could add here, as always in order of my preference.

And even one more spell slot if Simbul's Spell Matrix becomes an innate.

1) Phantasmal Killer

Offensive Illusion spells are very welcome.

2) Mordenkainen's Force Missiles

If this spell makes it into the game a longtime wish of mine comes true. I'd go for 2d4*7 (without a save), because that is really the defining part of that spell isn't it (sticks in the word "force")? As for the AoE damage I'd go for 10 splash damage (save to negate) per missle. Another option would be to uncouple the blast from the first target, and balance AoE and single target damage separately.

3) Vitriolic Sphere

I'd go for the AD&D version for the splash damage. This way the damage to the first target could be a bit higher. I'd really like to see a more "bursty" acid spell (no spell fills that niche atm), most damage on impact (1d4 per lvl / maybe capped at lvl 20), half of that the second round and so on... (for the first target)

4) Enervation

Really like it, but not to replace Contagion.

5) Dimensional Anchor

6) Animate Ghouls

Edited by Lawlight

It seems we are just the three of us lately (me, Arda and Law), but I'll proceede anyway...mainly because I cannot actively mod while I'm at work, but I can write posts! :D

5th Level Spells

We actually had no space back then (the only full spell lvl), but V4 will merge all ProElem spells into one, and all Conjure Elem into one as well, turning the once full lvl into the only spell lvl I have problems filling up with good spells! o_O In theory we have 5 free spell slots right now (assuming Spell Shield is restored but Spell Immunity is finally removed), and they may even be 6 if we decide to move or remove Chaos as discussed in the main topic.

Swift Etherealness

Transmuters have only one spell at this lvl, Lower Resistance, so adding at least one Alteration spell is a must imo. DavidW once said that he decided to not implement any true Transmuter within SCS because of the lack of PfMW and protection spells in general. Well, this is could be the answer to it imo.

Pratically this is a quick casting (a swift action within PnP), short lasting Etherealness, and within PnP it performs as a "panic button", but I don't know if it would be enough appealing as just a panic button within BG, would it?

I was daring to suggest disabling physical attacks, but allowing spellcasting (e.g. we could assume that the caster blinks from the ethereal and material plane like Phase Spiders do, becoming material only for an instant while casting the spell). Long story short, this would pretty much be an uber short lasting (in PnP it's 1 round, but I'd say 2-3) Absolute Immunity+Improved Invisibility which disables physical attacks.

What do you think? Is my suggestion too much? Would a true PnP version still be appealing?

Edit: I can imagine a great use of a true PnP Etherealness, aka using a Contingency to make it trigger when caster is helpless (or similar states), but Resilient Sphere would perform the same way for that role, if not better!

Waves of Fatigue

There's little to say here, Necromancers have only one spell at this lvl, Summon Shadow, so adding at least one Necromantic spell is a must imo. This one even acts as a rather unique spell because right now fatigue is almost never used. This spell would have a medium or large AoE centered on the target, causing anyone (but I'd make it party friendly) not immue to fatigue (e.g. undead creatures are immune) to be fatigued (no save). With my suggested changes to the fatigue concept (vanilla's effects plus -2 penalty to casting speed and movement rate - though I'd remove the dmg penalty to balance it) this would be a really useful debuff spell imo.

Ball Lightning

We have two ways to implement this spell:

a) a lightning based version of Melf Minute Meteors

b) a lightning based version of Blade Barrier

The first one is slightly more true to PnP, while the second one is slightly more unique (especially because mages have not a single spell working a la Blade Barrier). Which solutions would you prefer?

Greater Dimension Door

As per PnP, caster can use a short ranged Dimension Door each round for 1 round every 2 levels (I think we can make it last a fixed turn, if not more). The cool aspect of this spell is that even if limited by LoS it would still allow super fast travels from one area to another (which is the only thing the single use, long casting, 4th lvl DD would be used for). I know removing LoS limit from DD is cool on paper, and fine for many players, but I really cannot tolerate its quest/game breaking potential. :(

Mind Fog

AD&D version of this spell is way more balanced than its 3E one, which would be very gamebreaking within BG imo. Long story short, this would be a sort of Malison cloud spell (not a real cloud though, thus Gust of Wind shouldn't work against it imo), making anyone within the cloud suffer -2 penalty to saves against mind affecting spells and illusionary spells (ironically we can make this spell work within BG only because, unlike AD&D, SR uses saves vs. spells exclusively for mind affecting spells a la 3E).

Mestil's Acid Sheath

Pretty much the conjurer's version of Fire Shield, but more damaging and with a slightly better dmg type. Not my favourite spell, but we don't have better alternatives imo, and Ardanis seems to love it. :D

Various

If we end up not implementing any of the above spells, I have very few alternatives spells to suggest. I could suggest Shadow Magic (but I thought to use it as a Illusionist-only feat within KR, and it has much more potential there), Demishadow Monsters (fine imo, but I'm adding Shades at 6th lvl), Dismissal (single target Banishment, but unlike PnP we have the latter at 6th lvl instead of 7th), or Telekinesis (but within BG it would just be a more damaging Knock/Battering Ram).

What do you think? Have you any better alternative in mind?

Edited by Demivrgvs

Ball Lightning

The first one is slightly more true to PnP, while the second one is slightly more unique (especially because mages have not a single spell working a la Blade Barrier). Which solutions would you prefer?

1) We have Fireshield just a level lower, and maybe even Acid Sheath on this level.

2) Lightning Ring looks a much better candidate for the barrier effect, with it's lightning bolts.

Therefore I would pick b).

1) Greater Dimension Door

As per PnP, caster can use a short ranged Dimension Door each round for 1 round every 2 levels (I think we can make it last a fixed turn, if not more). The cool aspect of this spell is that even if limited by LoS it would still allow super fast travels from one area to another (which is the only thing the single use, long casting, 4th lvl DD would be used for). I know removing LoS limit from DD is cool on paper, and fine for many players, but I really cannot tolerate its quest/game breaking potential.

As I said before, that'd be uber cool.

2) Swift Etherealness

Transmuters have only one spell at this lvl, Lower Resistance, so adding at least one Alteration spell is a must imo. DavidW once said that he decided to not implement any true Transmuter within SCS because of the lack of PfMW and protection spells in general. Well, this is could be the answer to it imo.

Yeah, it looks like the obvious choice to fix this issue.

Pratically this is a quick casting (a swift action within PnP), short lasting Etherealness, and within PnP it performs as a "panic button", but I don't know if it would be enough appealing as just a panic button within BG, would it? [...] but Resilient Sphere would perform the same way for that role, if not better!

I share your doubts concerning true PnP Etherealness.

I was daring to suggest disabling physical attacks, but allowing spellcasting (e.g. we could assume that the caster blinks from the ethereal and material plane like Phase Spiders do, becoming material only for an instant while casting the spell). Long story short, this would pretty much be an uber short lasting (in PnP it's 1 round, but I'd say 2-3) Absolute Immunity+Improved Invisibility which disables physical attacks.

Really like the concept you're suggesting here. I'd start with 2 rounds.

3) Ball Lightning

I'd prefer b), because I favour uniqueness over a slightly better MMM.

Lightning Ring looks a much better candidate for the barrier effect, with it's lightning bolts.

This.

4) Waves of Fatigue

Really like what you plan to do here.

5) Mestil's Acid Sheath

retty much the conjurer's version of Fire Shield, but more damaging and with a slightly better dmg type. Not my favourite spell, but we don't have better alternatives imo, and Ardanis seems to love it. :D

I love it too. But something has to be done about the stacking problematique. The more I think about the problem, the more I come to the conclusion that Blue/Red should be merged. Ardanis already suggested it in another thread. I'd like to quote you two to bring the discussion alive again:

That's why I'm advocating combining red and blue effects ala NWN instead of selecting from submenu, and turning the other file into similar spell. Acid Sheath is simply the closest variant, because it has backlash and is reasoned to protect against insects. It certainly is one level higher, but I imagine it's affordable, unless there're new 5th leel spells in store.

In theory I'd actually agree with you because:

- a fireshield with blue flames and cold damage makes no sense to me

- having a wall of fire lessen both cold and fire damage makes sense (in fact in PnP the red one protects from cold)

- having 50% resistance to both elements in the same spell would greatly improve the appeal of this 4th lvl spell imo

- making it a single spell allow us to not fear staking fireshields (or to add another similar effect without worsening the current status quo)

- granting immunity to insect spells a la SCS makes sense only for the fire damaging version

BUT:

- that would indeed classify as removing a spell

- if any AI wanted to stack the two shields it won't be able to do so anymore (I fear SCS does it sometimes, doesn't it?)

Well, is there a way to trick the AI?

6) Mind Fog

Shadow Magic

Ironically, I wanted to suggest it some time ago, but I completely forgot about it. I can live with it becoming an Illusionist-only feature.

Edited by Lawlight

Swift Etherealness

even with a short duration that seems to me to be overpowered, as you said yourself with this spell you basically duplicate a 9 level spell, also conceptually etherealness shouldn't protect you against dispel, force effect and other ethereal foes (like other casters with swift etherealness), leaving a trasmuter specialist vulnerable.

On a side note, wouldn't be simpler to solve the trasmuter problem (if that's possible) to let the specialist wizards choose their barred school like in 3rd edition within KR?

Ball Lightning

i'd prefer b) too

Waves of Fatigue

I really like what you're planning to do here

Various

I'd like to see telekinesis and dismissal here

Edited by Wyrd

Personally, I think this spell should deal less damage than elemental spells of the same level due to the difficulty of resisting its damage type. The last thing we need is another version of Magic Missile to make the offensive spells of yet another spell level somewhat questionable in comparison.

Swift Etherealness

Remind me: does Stoneskin have a longer casting time now to balance it out? If so, I would find a use for this spell if it was fast-casting. Duration must be short, as you said.

A few answers first, then I'll surprise you with special effects. :D

Personally, I think this spell should deal less damage than elemental spells of the same level due to the difficulty of resisting its damage type. The last thing we need is another version of Magic Missile to make the offensive spells of yet another spell level somewhat questionable in comparison.
I do share your concern, that's why I was the first saying that imo PnP damage output of this spell is crazy. It looks like most of you agree on this matter, which is good, I won't feel guilty for "nerfing" it then. :)

Swift Etherealness

even with a short duration that seems to me to be overpowered, as you said yourself with this spell you basically duplicate a 9 level spell, also conceptually etherealness shouldn't protect you against dispel, force effect and other ethereal foes (like other casters with swift etherealness), leaving a trasmuter specialist vulnerable.
Well dispel would still work indeed, I'm not trying to make the specialist Transmuter invulnerable, only to give him a mid-lvl spell to enhance his/her chances to survive without Abjuration spells.

I share your concerns about OP-ness, but unlike Absolute Immunity this spell would have a major drawback (disabled physical attacks), eventually more vulnerabilities (if we decide to make certain spells still work against it), and an even shorter duration. For example if we make it last only 2 rounds the first round would be used to cast this spell and nothing else (as physical attacks are disabled, so no MMM), and you'd get only 1 round left of invulnerability, making it not much more powerful than PnP panic button (and without some of its most useful aspects).

That question is: does a true PnP version (invulnerability but unable to do anything other than walking around) be appealing as a 5th lvl spell? If I could make an etheral creature heal or buff himself while ethereal and keep all other offensive options shut down then I could see a role for this spell (a sort of Sanctuary), but I don't think it's doable. :( I should be able to disable al quick slot items except self centered ones like potions or disable all scrolls except buffing ones, but when it comes to spells cast from spellbook I don't think I can prevent offensive spellcasting and allow self targeted buffs at the same time.

Remind me: does Stoneskin have a longer casting time now to balance it out? If so, I would find a use for this spell if it was fast-casting. Duration must be short, as you said.
I haven't changed Stoneskin's casting time because I fear it could clash with the AI. I think SCS sometime uses Stoneskin outside of pre-buff routines, and in those cases it probably expect the spell to be cast instantaneously, aka to perform a role similar to a contingency.

Ideally I'd really agree with you that a spell as powerful as Stonesking. which even lasts an entire day, doesn't need to be insta casting at all (standard casting time 4 or 5 would be fine). Not to mention that you could still use it as as an instantaneous spell via Contingency or Sequencers/Triggers.

It all comes down to how the AI can handle it, and I fear it cannot handle the change well.

On a side note, wouldn't be simpler to solve the trasmuter problem (if that's possible) to let the specialist wizards choose their barred school like in 3rd edition within KR?
I'm not sure if that would be possible, but I actually like the fixed opposite school, if done right.

Mestil's Acid Sheath

retty much the conjurer's version of Fire Shield, but more damaging and with a slightly better dmg type. Not my favourite spell, but we don't have better alternatives imo, and Ardanis seems to love it. :D

I love it too. But something has to be done about the stacking problematique. The more I think about the problem, the more I come to the conclusion that Blue/Red should be merged. Ardanis already suggested it in another thread. I'd like to quote you two to bring the discussion alive again:

That's why I'm advocating combining red and blue effects ala NWN instead of selecting from submenu, and turning the other file into similar spell. Acid Sheath is simply the closest variant, because it has backlash and is reasoned to protect against insects. It certainly is one level higher, but I imagine it's affordable, unless there're new 5th leel spells in store.

In theory I'd actually agree with you because:

- a fireshield with blue flames and cold damage makes no sense to me

- having a wall of fire lessen both cold and fire damage makes sense (in fact in PnP the red one protects from cold)

- having 50% resistance to both elements in the same spell would greatly improve the appeal of this 4th lvl spell imo

- making it a single spell allow us to not fear staking fireshields (or to add another similar effect without worsening the current status quo)

- granting immunity to insect spells a la SCS makes sense only for the fire damaging version

BUT:

- that would indeed classify as removing a spell

- if any AI wanted to stack the two shields it won't be able to do so anymore (I fear SCS does it sometimes, doesn't it?)

Well, is there a way to trick the AI?

The AI can be tricked as Ardanis says, by making it cast another similar spell instead of Fire Shield (blue) whe it tries to stack the two shields, and Acid Sheath would indeed be the perfect candidate.

I have to admit Ardanis points (the ones I've highlighted in red) are quite convincing...

Ball Lightning

Now, this is the announced surprise. I'm going to propose a solution which would make it even more close to PnP (almost identical to Spell Compedium), and an extremely unique spell.

The idea is to make it create a single ball of lightning (using the current's Storm Shell animation) that the caster can then move around as he/she wishes for the duration of the spell (the AI will move it via scripts). In PnP the sphere would deal damage (up to 15d6 - save to negate all dmg) to a single target sharing its space each round, but while we are unable to perfectly replicate that, I think that making it damage anyone within 5 feet radius from it (once per round - pratically as a moving Blade Barrier) would be an even cooler concept (IWD's version of this spell pratically was a lightning based MMM with 5 ' radisu blast dmg). Obviously I'd lower the damage accordingly, and the caster won't be able to have more than 1 Ball Lightning active.

What do you think? Worth trying? I really like the concept, and strikes me as something really new and unique.

Edited by Demivrgvs