New Arcane Spells for v4

Yes this level is very underpopulated, even more if Symbol of Stunning, Symbol of Weakness and Bigby's Clenched Fist get moved at 7th level.

Executioner's Eyes

My all-time favorite IWD spell. The lack of Divination spells justifies it not beeing a classic PnP spell. I had rather liked to see this implemented as lvl 7 spell to give cleric's access too (it'd go nicely with some deities), but now that we agreed that it should be a lvl 8 spell it could at least be an excellent candidate as a HLA for some divine Kits like Priest of Helm or Inquisitor.

Mind Blank

I guess it doesn't need presentations. It is an Improved Chaotic Commands, granting even more immunities, and protection from Divination spells as well (such as Knoe Opponent and Oracle), but more importantly it will last 8 hours, making it an obvious day-long buff a la Stoneskin for mages who can afford it.

Another spell with a fairly large base of fans, I suppose. 'Nuff said...

Lightning Ring

I've almost forgotten that spell. Nice find! If I rember right there was also an alternative way to use this spell and I'm a fan of flexible spells. :p Furthermore I think that would be pretty cool: You could release one charge (or two - depending on edition) per round (save for half) like you said (I'd agree that the random target part is probably the best way to implement it - and it'd be unique) and be 100% protected from electrical damage for the duration, or you could discharge all energy at once in a massive overload, which made the ring exhaust itself... BÄÄÄM! So lets say the LR has a duration of 10 rounds for example, which equates to 10 charges: You could release 10 charges at once.That could be implemented in the following way: now that ToBEx should allow to create subspells to work on contingencies, you could make this spell work like SI (submenu). The first sub-spell would work like you suggested and the second sub-spell releases (following you random target suggestion again) all charges/lighting bolts at once, each targeting a random opponent. That could be pretty high single target damage against a smaller group of enemys (following my example 10*5D6 electrical damage) and pretty bursty in comparison to Chain Lighting. :p Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting would be still better to use on 3+ enemys. If only on target is around it would be like a Disintegrate with a different damage type, but it fits to electric based spells imo.

Polar Ray

If we decide to move Bigby's Icy Grasp at 7th lvl than this spell is a must imo, else we can just keep the ice-tweaked Bigby spell.

I'm in favor to move Bigby's Icy Grasp at 7th lvl, because this lvl is missing a cold based spell.

I'm not sure how balanced it would be, but in theory BG implementation would probably be a ray inflicting up to 20d6 points of cold dmg with no save. Else we could raise the damage and allow a reflex save (to replace the ranged attack roll), but then the spell would just be a Disintegrate spell with different dmg type. Mmm...

I never really understood why on earth a ray attack should be concidered as a ranged touch spell and I was happy that SR seems to move away from this pathatic concept of "hit or wasted" spells in many cases (Vampiric Touch, Shocking Grasp, Cause Wounds spells etc.). But I don't like it to become a spell like desintegrate either, because I don't connect this with cold based spells. Imo cold based spells are all about secondary effects. And this one deserves a fresh and cool one: something like a) "the coldness drains the heat out of the body making the target even more vulnerable to cold damage" (my favorite :p) or b) "the caster concentrates the ray on the victims head inflicting a painful brain freeze (yes you all know this pain :D) that slows spell casting of the target (spell failure is possible too).

Mass Polymorph

I like this one.

This sounds amusing.

'Nuff said.

Polymorph Any Object

PoA is really more of a (if not THE) candidate for a possible Transmuter HLA.

Solipsism

I like it, but Kalindor has a point.

Symbol of Insanity vs. Sphere of Chaos / Maddening Whispers

So, what would you do? Remove Sphere of Chaos (which never existed in PnP but is cool) and add Symbol of Insanity, or just move SoC at 8th lvl?

First of all I want to say, that I'd be very sad if Sphere of Chaos gets removed altogether, because I like what you did with it. Changing it to Maddening Whispers on the other hand is an excellent idea and should stop all the complaints about SoC not beeing a PnP spell. In summary, I would move SoC at 8th lvl and change/adjust it to Maddening Whispers.

BTW again, I don't mind if Chaos gets removed, even if SoI does not make it into the game....

I really don't know what to do, especially because SoC would outshine SoI by a mile imo.

I fear the same. But I don't like Symbol of Insanity anyway....

I don't think this is unique enough to warrant another spell. I would use Mass Polymorph instead in any case because it's cooler.

Totally agree here.

On a side note. I'd opt for iplementing Mass Charm as the ultimate HLA for Enchanters.

Monster Summoning VIII

I'd opt for Fire Salamander Nobles and Frost Salamanders.

Create Greater undead

I like the Boneguard more.

Conjure Elder Elemental

For some reason I'm not too much into it. Unlike the other three versions of this spell it doesn't exist within PnP, and I don't like that Druids would be left behind as they are limited to 7th lvl spells and Greater Elementals (though they then get princes via innate HLAs).

You are probably right here.

Edited by Lawlight

Monster Summoning VIII

I'll try to open a dedicated topic because there's too much to discuss on summons. As a general rule, I tend to use xHD creatures for MSx spells, with a single x+1HD creature later on as a sort of "leader". Anyway, ...

Umber Hulks and salamanders are both cool. Speaking of cool and underrepresented, we still have wyverns somewhere, right?
Yes, they currently are were Wyvern Call was. :D Jokes aside, I'm simply renaming the 6th lvl spell, and revising it to follow SR's MS spells, which generally summon multiple creatures. The plan for wyverns largely depends on which MS spell will cast them. If they remain at 6th lvl, aka MSVI, I think to use 2 6HD baby wyverns at 12th caster lvl, and then add a 3rd creature at 15th caster lvl, a 7HD adult wyvern (right now the spell always summon a single 7HD wyvern).

I'd opt for Fire Salamander Nobles and Frost Salamanders.
I thought the same, but then I realized that unless we decide golems fit a MSIX spell, salamanders could actually be the best candidates for MSIX. While normal Fire Salamanders are 7-9HD creatures, Noble Fire Salamanders and Frost Salamanders are powerful 12HD creatures with spell-like abilites and a powerful aura respectively - too much imo for a spell which is supposed to summon multiple creatures. For a 9th lvl spell instead, even summoning 2 Fire Salamander and 1 Noble Salamander, or 2 Frost Salamanders should be fine.

Create Greater Undead

Mummies are cool.
I'm uncertain too. :)

Lightning Ring

I think this is a neat spell but the damage would have to be much larger than 5D6 due to random targeting and competing with party-friendly and magic-damage-dealing Horrid Wilting. Not sure that lightning immunity is necessary.
Well, if it's 5d6 twice per round for 10 rounds it's not that bad at all! I know it's "random" and takes ages to stack up, but we would be talking of 20x 5d6 lightning bolts.

Yeah, the immunity thing is not important indeed, they probably put it there just to make the spell look cooler or more powerful. Actually, I'd vote to not use it because else I would probably have to flag the spell as a breachable specific protection. I'd vote for either not caring about it, or using a fire shield-like 50% res, plus eventually a lightning shield-like effect.

I've almost forgotten that spell. Nice find! If I rember right there was also an alternative way to use this spell and I'm a fan of flexible spells. :p
You do your homework eh? :D Yes, within PnP it can be used either as I suggested or instantly unleashed as 8x 5d6 lightning bolts at once. I'm not suggesting the second implementation simply because it's much less unique, and it would overlap with Chain Lightning too much imo.

Polar Ray

I think Polar Ray is cooler than yet-another-Bigby-spell. Assuming we have a unique animation, of course.
Well, I'm not adding any Bigby spell, I'm changing one of the two identical ones we currently have. :) Anyway, speaking of Polar Ray's animation, this is indeed a problem because of BG's damn hardcodness. I hope BGEE will give me the opportunity to extract and recolor Aganazzar's projectile, but until then we have only two candidates: either beholder's ray projectile, or the cold-like projectile used by winter wolf's breath attack.

I don't think this spell needs an attack roll or anything considering other magically-directed projectiles generally lack them in BG.
I never really understood why on earth a ray attack should be concidered as a ranged touch spell and I was happy that SR seems to move away from this pathatic concept of "hit or wasted" spells in many cases (Vampiric Touch, Shocking Grasp, Cause Wounds spells etc.).
Well, touch spells and ray spells aren't the very same thing imo, but I do agree it's better to make these spells not require an "attack roll".

I don't like it to become a spell like desintegrate either, because I don't connect this with cold based spells. Imo cold based spells are all about secondary effects.
It would inflict half of Disintegrate's damage (20d6 instead of 40d6), but without a save (justified by the much more expensive spell slot imo). That being said, I do agree with you, a secondary effect is way better than uber beefed up damage output. Pathfinder (which is a better 3.5 edition and my favoured rule system - aVENGER's too I discovered) followed this principle and added to Polar Ray a DEX drain effect. I guess the concept makes sense - a different take on a more classic "slow" - but I fear it's either weak or exploitable. I'm rather unimaginative though, and cannot think much else than a slow effect or something very similar.

Mass Polymorph

I really didn't expected all of you to prefer PolyMass over PolyAny, and I'm pleased to know some of you already hated PolyAny absurd op-ness before I even mentioned it. :D There's a strange trend of "end game" alteration spells to be the most broken ones (PolyAny, Time Stop, Shapechange) but while they noticed Time Stop op-ness and nerfed it from 2E to 3E, Polyany got even more OP than it already was! o_O

Anyway, if we go for PolyMass I'd try to be a little creative at least. I'm tempted to suggest using different polymorph effects (turned into an object, petrified, disintegrated, uber slowed, or whatever) perhaps depending on target's HD (e.g. low level targets are insta killed or petrified, mid lvl ones can be turned into objects/animals, very high ones only slowed).

Else I guess most of you simply like the idea of turning multiple mid lvl opponents into a horde of harmelss rabbits. :D

Symbol of Insanity

I don't think this is unique enough to warrant another spell. I would use Mass Polymorph instead in any case because it's cooler.
I know, as I said this is just a Confusion/Chaos spell usable as a trap.

First of all I want to say, that I'd be very sad if Sphere of Chaos gets removed altogether, because I like what you did with it. Changing it to Maddening Whispers on the other hand is an excellent idea and should stop all the complaints about SoC not beeing a PnP spell. In summary, I would move SoC at 8th lvl and change/adjust it to Maddening Whispers.
Yeah, gameplay wise, using Sphere of Chaos at 8th lvl would be the best choice imo. If we think a PnP name would make it more canonic we could rename it, but Maddening Whispers (which is indeed pretty much identical to SoC) isn't a renowed PnP spell anyway (as quite a lot of spells found only within Spell Compendium books, and not within FR setting books).

BTW again, I don't mind if Chaos gets removed, even if SoI does not make it into the game...
I'm with you, but I don't know if there's a large enough consensus.

Mass Charm

On a side note. I'd opt for iplementing Mass Charm as the ultimate HLA for Enchanters.
You have a point, but what about 9th lvl Mass Domination then? Mass Hold Monster at 9th lvl isn't that great imo, especially if we decide to keep SR's Sphere of Chaos, which is better imo.

Solipsism

Cool idea, but we should really have a distinguishing gameplay difference between all of the proposed AoE save-or-be-disabled spells of this level.
You do have a point. That being said I think we have some room for it. The various mass disabling spells can be differentiated by: school, target type, effect type and effectiveness, AoE, etc.

Belonging to a different school means certain spells fit a character more (a roleplayed Enchanter would probably never use PolyMass instead of SoC and to a lesser extent Solipsism) or not be usable at all (e.g. an Abjurer cannot use PolyMass), and it also reflects into which creatures can be affected by it or not, and which protections/counters can be used. The effect type is crucial too, as one thing is (*) causing fear/unconsciousness/etc. for 1 round (perhaps multiple times in different rounds) and another thing is permanently screw the target with feeblemindness. Even tweaking the AoE may help to distinguish the various spells, as having a medium 15-20' AoE or a large 30-40' AoE is a huge difference imo.

Have I partially convinced you? :)

(*) On this regard, SR's Sphere of Chaos is a really good choice because it differs the most from the other "save once or be screwed" spells.

Executioner's Eyes

I like that it's divination, so I vote that it be included. Not sure what the concept is supposed to be, though. "I see like an executioner!" So what?
The way I see it the concept is that the spell grants to all allies the ability to easily spot target's weaknesses and most vulnerable spots, perhaps even telling them if under the armor there's an old wound or things like that.

+20% critical hit chance combined with the proposed removal of critical hit immunity on helmets would be really useful and worth an 8th level slot.
Yeah, without ToBEx and IR I guess this spell would lose most of its power.

My all-time favorite IWD spell. The lack of Divination spells justifies it not beeing a classic PnP spell. I had rather liked to see this implemented as lvl 7 spell to give cleric's access too (it'd go nicely with some deities), but now that we agreed that it should be a lvl 8 spell it could at least be an excellent candidate as a HLA for some divine Kits like Priest of Helm or Inquisitor.
I previously planned it to be a 7th lvl spell, but it originally was a 9th lvl spell, and I already moved it one lvl lower without nerfing it. The thing is, this spell can be very appealing as an 8th lvl spell, while making Prying Eye worth an 8th lvl spell slot would be really hard.

Create Greater Undead

Mummies are cool.

The Refinements uses Boneguard (and Apocalyptic Boneguard at higher levels) as HLA summon so I would go for mummies.

Create Greater Undead

Mummies are cool.

The Refinements uses Boneguard (and Apocalyptic Boneguard at higher levels) as HLA summon so I would go for mummies.

3e has an epic level Mummy Dust. Seeing how HLAs are essentially epic spells, I would therefore use mummies for it, rather than boneguards, whom I haven't seen in PnP material. The fact Refinements uses them doesn't make it canon, does it?

I'd stick with 3e again, where CGU summons specters.

Monster Summoning VIII

I'll try to open a dedicated topic because there's too much to discuss on summons. As a general rule, I tend to use xHD creatures for MSx spells, with a single x+1HD creature later on as a sort of "leader".

Agreed. I expect to conjure multiple creatures with Monster Summoning X as opposed to other summons (elementals, genies, nishru etc.) that summon one creature.

Create Greater Undead

Although Mummy Dust is indeed an HLA, I don't see BGII mummies being worthy of an HLA. The boneguard creature is more visually awe-inspiring and is more believable as an HLA in my opinion.

Mass Polymorph

Anyway, if we go for PolyMass I'd try to be a little creative at least. I'm tempted to suggest using different polymorph effects (turned into an object, petrified, disintegrated, uber slowed, or whatever) perhaps depending on target's HD (e.g. low level targets are insta killed or petrified, mid lvl ones can be turned into objects/animals, very high ones only slowed).

Else I guess most of you simply like the idea of turning multiple mid lvl opponents into a horde of harmelss rabbits. :D

Alternately, you could have victims polymorphed into progressively weaker creatures as their level decreases for amusement. Level 40-30: Githyanki, Level 30-20: Minotaur, Level 15-20: Moose, Level 10-15: Serpent, Level 5-10: Squirrel, Level 1-5: Barrel.

Or, it could polymorph them into random pitiful things: Squirrel, Moose, Barrel, Rat, Rabbit, Goblin, etc.

Solipsism

You do have a point. That being said I think we have some room for it. The various mass disabling spells can be differentiated by: school, target type, effect type and effectiveness, AoE, etc.

Belonging to a different school means certain spells fit a character more (a roleplayed Enchanter would probably never use PolyMass instead of SoC and to a lesser extent Solipsism) or not be usable at all (e.g. an Abjurer cannot use PolyMass), and it also reflects into which creatures can be affected by it or not, and which protections/counters can be used. The effect type is crucial too, as one thing is (*) causing fear/unconsciousness/etc. for 1 round (perhaps multiple times in different rounds) and another thing is permanently screw the target with feeblemindness. Even tweaking the AoE may help to distinguish the various spells, as having a medium 15-20' AoE or a large 30-40' AoE is a huge difference imo.

Have I partially convinced you? :)

I can see that they are numerically different, I have no problem with this. You could make them different enough to include, for sure. As I said, I think like a Sorcerer, so I would ideally like every spell to present a different application. In the best situation, I would be able to choose for my spellbook any spell of a given level regardless of the other spells of that level I had already selected previously. (If you follow me.)

(*) On this regard, SR's Sphere of Chaos is a really good choice because it differs the most from the other "save once or be screwed" spells.

I like Sphere of Chaos. I vote to leave it be.

Executioner's Eyes

The way I see it the concept is that the spell grants to all allies the ability to easily spot target's weaknesses and most vulnerable spots, perhaps even telling them if under the armor there's an old wound or things like that.

That's fine, but it is not consistent with an "executioner," who hacks the neck of prostrate victims and is in no way a skilled combatant. Maybe the spell means "even striking enemy combatants will be as easy as an execution" or something. Oh well, perhaps I am over-thinking it.

I previously planned it to be a 7th lvl spell, but it originally was a 9th lvl spell, and I already moved it one lvl lower without nerfing it. The thing is, this spell can be very appealing as an 8th lvl spell, while making Prying Eye worth an 8th lvl spell slot would be really hard.

I vote for 8th level. 7th level has Improved Haste already. I would also use this spell at 8th level but not at 9th level.

Create Greater Undead

3e has an epic level Mummy Dust. Seeing how HLAs are essentially epic spells, I would therefore use mummies for it, rather than boneguards, whom I haven't seen in PnP material. The fact Refinements uses them doesn't make it canon, does it?
Boneguards an be found within IWD, the closest PnP creature imo is the Bone Golems. A Bone Golem is an undead skeletal golems, and in terms of in-game performance is a Skeletal Warrior on steroids (14HD instead of 9 and immunity to magic instead of 90% res).

Anyway, compatibility with Refinements is kinda important imo, because it will take quite some time before KR will be able to take its role for SR. :(

Although Mummy Dust is indeed an HLA, I don't see BGII mummies being worthy of an HLA. The boneguard creature is more visually awe-inspiring and is more believable as an HLA in my opinion.
Mummies power lvl is vary variable. As always BG implementation is kinda messed up, because while normal 7-8HD mummies are fine, BG Greater Mummies has little in common with AD&D ones. While BG greater mummies are just a 14HD variant of the normal mummy, within PnP they are incredibly powerful divine spellcasters (at least 16th caster lvl), so powerful that a single Greater Mummy (called Mummy Lord within 3E) can be considered on par with a Deva, if not slightly superior.

PnP Mummy Dust summons a couple of 18HD normal mummies not much different from BG's 14HD ones. That doesn't strike me as particularly cool, but they surely are the thoughest tanks ever with more or less 200hp each and 50% physical resistance.

Long story short, it largely depends on which creatures we use, and how many of them.
I wanted to suggest using 2 mummies at 16th lvl plus 1 greater mummy at 18th-20th lvl, but I fear a fully controllable Greater Mummy would be too powerful for a "normal" 8th lvl spell (though the non controllable Glabrezu probably is more devastating). :( What do you think?

If I had to make a Mummy Dust HLA then I would surely pick a Greater Mummy instead of normal mummies, because as Kalindor says, I expect an HLA summon to have an awe-inspiring look.

A Bone Golem could be a balanced 8th lvl spell imo (it's two levels higher than 6th lvl Animate Skeletal Warrior) but it could also be a good necromantic counterpart to an eventual Conjurer's Summon Golem HLA. Note that making HLAs innates means they don't necessarly need to be as powerful as 9th lvl spells, actually they should never had imo, because non-spellcaster's HLAs generally are more like 5th lvl spells in terms of power.

I'd stick with 3e again, where CGU summons specters.
That would deprecate Summon Shadow spell. :( Anyway, 7HD spectres could work, but they'd suffer the same problem of wraiths (low thac0) and with such a high spell slot it can be an even more noticeable issue. An 8th lvl spell is probably too much expensive for a creature with thac0 9, no?

Solipsism

I can see that they are numerically different, I have no problem with this. You could make them different enough to include, for sure. As I said, I think like a Sorcerer, so I would ideally like every spell to present a different application. In the best situation, I would be able to choose for my spellbook any spell of a given level regardless of the other spells of that level I had already selected previously. (If you follow me.)
It took me a little to understand your last sentence, but yeah, I got your point. From a sorcerer point of view it makes sense, but we also have mages and specialist mages. An Abjurer won't have PolyMass, and a Necromancer (a Diviner within KR) won't have Solipsism. Otoh I admit an eventual Symbol of Insanity/Chaos would overlap a lot with Solipsism, but I hope Sphere of Chaos is different enough.

The problem is that being 8th lvl save-or-else spells it's kinda expectable for all of them to be save-or-"totally screwed" spells. In theory, for variety's sake, I would have loved to use PolyAny instead of PolyMass, but it's a brokenly OP and unimplementable spell, and afaik we have no real alternative to Solipsism, have we?

I'm still open to discuss lower level spells, actually I need it for some of them, but I'll put down 9th lvl suggestions too and keep the first post updated to have everything under check in one place.

9th Level Spells

We really don't need many spells here, I only want each school to have at least one spell, if not two when possible.

Foresight

Once again Divination school have not a single spell, but this time we do have a classic and potentially great one. I really never understood how PnP version could fit a 9th lvl slot (do you? am I missing something?), but I think we can simply improve upon its base concept, pretty much as Refinements mod did.

Weird

Illusion school too had not a single spell at this lvl. I know Weird performs a similar role to WotB, but this spell is a must have imo, and it's the most canonic 9th lvl illusion spell since AD&D.

Shadow Clone

This is the next best suggestion I could find. I changed its name but this is just NWN Shadow Simulacrum, which is probably inspired by PnP Ice Assasin. Long story short, this is a Simulacrum spell usable on others, though I still don't know if that "others" will mean any target or just party members (balance wise I'd say the latter, as cloning a dragon might be a little over the top :D - not to mention cloning opponents may not be technically easy for allgiances). Even then, being able to create clones of your best party members should be enough to make this spell appealing imo (though an in-game helmet offers almost the same, with few limitations, once per day).

If you have a better alternative suggestion let me know, but afaik the only real alternative is 3E Shades, aka Shadow Conjuration on steroids. Well, on second thought even that spell woundn't be bad.

Monster Summoning IX

If I ever manage to make Gate summon non-evil creatures too this spell will have to compete with it. Nevertheless I think this is a mandatory spell.

Mass Domination

I did not suggested Mass Charm for 8th lvl to leave room for this spell, which is the ultimate enchantment spell imo. In theory we could also have Mass Hold Monster, but I really don't see how it could compete at this level, am I wrong?

Edited by Demivrgvs

Weird

Illusion school too had not a single spell at this lvl. I know Weird performs a similar role to WotB, but this spell is a must have imo, and it's the most canonic 9th lvl illusion spell since AD&D.
It has to be slightly better than WotB, though, because of double save allowed.

Weird

It has to be slightly better than WotB, though, because of double save allowed.

Shadow Clone

Would Shadow Clone create a copy of a character at that character's full hit dice? That would be very powerful. If we are talking 1/2 hit dice, I am not sure I would use it at 9th level.
Mmm...that would be cool indeed, but I'd need to implement it via scripts, something I'd always avoid. I have to investigate what DavidW did to implement Irenicus mirrored clones during Spellhold's encounter.

I guess I should I assume a 9th lvl version of Shadow Conjuration would not be as cool as this.

Speaking of illusions and clones, I'm also "secretly plotting" to replace Reflected Image (which never existed, and overlaps with Mirror Image too much imo) with AD&D Phantasmal Force. I previously thought to make it create an illusionary copy of the caster (as Reflected Image was supposed to do, but free to move, not sharing MI properties) unable to do anything other than walking around, but the more I look into AD&D description the more I think the spell has much more to say, and I even think believers can actually be "harmed" (though unlike Shadow Magic and Shades this is 100% not real).

Speaking of illusions and clones, I'm also "secretly plotting" to replace Reflected Image (which never existed, and overlaps with Mirror Image too much imo) with AD&D Phantasmal Force. I previously thought to make it create an illusionary copy of the caster (as Reflected Image was supposed to do, but free to move, not sharing MI properties) unable to do anything other than walking around, but the more I look into AD&D description the more I think the spell has much more to say, and I even think believers can actually be "harmed" (though unlike Shadow Magic and Shades this is 100% not real).

I find myself really intrigued by this proposal of yours, Demi.

Please make it blossom.

Conjure Elder Elemental

For some reason I'm not too much into it. Unlike the other three versions of this spell it doesn't exist within PnP, and I don't like that Druids would be left behind as they are limited to 7th lvl spells and Greater Elementals (though they then get princes via innate HLAs).
NWN2 summons elementals by Monster Summon spells, Elders on 9th level. Spell Compendium also lists Summon Elemental Monolith on 9th.

And I think it would be a pity to skip aTweaks' work on them.

Still, I agree there are enough summons already.

Wierd

@Demi: if you wanted to comment on my post, then I think you forgot to type it :)