Enemy Charm Spells in BG1

jquinn914

I'm in cloakwood mines and having a lot of trouble with the mage on the second level. He casts charm, always targeting my protagonist, leading to the inevitable annihilation of my party. I don't believe there's any way to counter this at this stage of the game so does anyone have any tips?

Best solution would probably be a potion of clarity, if there are any avaiable at that stage (High Hedge?). Alternatively the potions of magic blocking/shielding/whatever should do the trick, or if you're a fighter-type then a potion of invulnerability will give you a better chance of making your save. The same mage gave me heaps of trouble during my current playthrough, though it was 'Chaos' that was the killer for me.

An alternative option is to have one of your spell casters cast charm on the already charmed party member. It has worked for me. It puts the character back under your control. Technically they are still charmed but the way charm works is that they follow the orders of the last one to charm them.

Archived