Where to begin

Jdracous

Hello.

I have downloaded several kitpacks for use of my own character creation. However I would like to expand and add some of these kits to the joinable NPCs in Baldur's gate tutu. Specifically I want to take the Shield bearer from the Pocket plane dimension's "six's kitpack" and the Shadow druid & Priest of Tempus from Spellhold studios' "prestige kitpack" and add them to Khalid, Feldorn, & Branwen (In that order). Oh and I would like to make Coran a swashbuckler instead of a fighter/theif. However I have no modding experience nor do I know anyone with experience that I can talk to. So I'm asking if anyone can give me a place to start? I've tried finding tutorials on my own but they seem a little overwhelming. None of them take into the account the possibility that you know nothing on the subject.

Introducing the mod Level 1 NPCs

Install your custom kits first

then install Level 1 NPCs

download links for varying OSs are here:

http://forums.gibber...oads&showcat=42

mod forum here:

http://forums.gibber...p?showforum=140

FAQ here:

http://forums.gibber...showtopic=12239

excerpt from the readme

Level 1 NPCs expands on the original concept by allowing players to assign any installed kit/class - default or customized - onto any default NPC from both BG1 and BG2 games. The mod also allows players to change the NPC's skills and weapon proficiencies.

start small

don't jump in and try to tackle something like the BG Fixpack LOL (that was my mistake ^^)

There are numerous tutorials, tho some use outdated coding methods for weidu yet even so those methods usually still work.

Best thing is to pick a mod that does something you like -- you'll stay interested longer

Get a copy of ConText or Notepad ++ both of them have highlighters available (somewhere on this site) for the various weidu mod file types

Start taking a look at what they do.

Have the IESDP handy. It'll help you to understand where and what is happening with the mod code.

Take breaks often, don't ever burn yourself out. If what you are looking at doesn't make sense, move to something that is easier. Learn to work with one file type (i.e. items or spells) or one modification type (i.e kits or npcs) at a time. There are a lot of similarities between some of them and it may lead to confusion.

Do you have a suggestion on a specific tutorial? Because I tried the one here: http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=652 to no avail. What I need is something that is in depth and step by step. A sort of modding guide for dummies if you will (Even though I hate that "for dummies" term).

About the only mods I would make are NPCs and the occasional kit. I chose a kit to be my first mod hoping it would be the simplest. The kit I was planning was to go along the lines of the pre-existing cleric kits by set up. Having an ability that bonuses once every five levels and one that bonuses every 10. (Which with no disadvantages why would you ever play a normal cleric?). My specific one is the priest of Lolth because I also have a sub-race mod already and I wanted a stereotypical drow elf. If I ever truly learn modding I would also like to add content based on this kit; such as Viconia having a different opinion of the player. But that would be far down the line.

I was able to piece together a few things by looking at other mods I had downloaded but the tutorial was virtually no help at all. It would tell me things like "CLASWEAP.2da - This file controls the type of allowed weapons by general class. The kit names run down the first column and the various columns refer to the weapon types. An entry of "1" indicates the weapon type is usable and a "0" indicates unusable." but wouldn't tell me how to tell which column was related to what weapon type. Also I think I skipped step two in that tutorial because I was totally lost. What's a 2da file? and How do I make one of any significance.

Anyway I hope I'm not being annoying by asking what may seem obvious questions, but as I said this is 100% new to me. I don't know the terminology or even the most basic tasks. Anyway here is a show of what I got so far. I copied the tp2 file from another kit mod known as the samurai, from sorcerer's palace and edited it based on what little I was able to figure out. So some remnants of the samurai still show however i don't know what to do with those parts. Please offer any aid you can.

BEGIN ~Priest of Lolth Kit~ // name of this component

// internal name of the kit

ADD_KIT ~Priest_of_Lolth~

// appended to CLASWEAP.2da

~Priest_of_Lolth 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0~

// appended column-wise to WEAPPROF.2da

~Priest_of_Lolth 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0~

// appended to ABCLASRQ.2da

~Priest_of_Lolth 3 3 3 9 13 9~

// appended to ABCLSMOD.2da

~Priest_of_Lolth 0 0 0 0 0 0~

// appended to ABDCDSRQ.2da

~Priest_of_Lolth 17 0 0 0 0 0~

// appended to ABDCSCRQ.2da

// appended to ALIGNMNT.2da

~Priest_of_Lolth 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1~

// appended to DUALCLAS.2da

// path to your CLAB-style 2da file

~PriestofLolth/Lolth.2da~

// PC races and classes allowed to use this kit, from KITTABLE.2da

~K_C_H K_C_D K_C_G K_C_E K_C_HE K_C_HL K_C_HO~

// usability flags, added to the end of the KITLIST.2da entry

~0x00004000 2~

// HLA table to use; see LUABBR.2da

~Ci3~

// list of starting equipment for PCs starting in ToB. Appended column-wise to 25STWEAP.2da

~CHAN09 * HELM07 BAG20 RING06 RING31 * BOOT01 AMUL19 BRAC16 BELT06 AROW11,40 BULL03,40 BOLT06,40 POTN52,5 POTN4,2 POTN14,5 HAM07 SW1H27 STAF08~

// Lower, mixed, and help kit names and descriptions, added to KITLIST.2da

SAY ~priest of lolth~

SAY ~Priest of Lolth~

SAY ~PRIEST_OF_LOLTH: All hail the Spider queen, Goddess of the Demonweb pits. Lolth is an evil god most commonly worshiped by drow elves though not exclusively. Like Lolth herself her priests are cold, calculating and cruel. They enjoy spreading misery and pain but above all they seek to dominate. Lolth is the superior god.

Advantages:

- May use poison once per day per 5 levels (starts at 1st level with one use). This functions similar to the assassin's poison.

- May Summon a phase spider oce per day per 10 levels (starts at 1st level with one use).

Disadvantages:

- None

COPY ~SamuraiKit/Samunof.spl~ ~override~

SAY NAME1 ~Immunity to Fear~

SAY NAME2 ~This spell provides the Samurai with immunity from fear~

COPY ~SamuraiKit/Samufea.spl~ ~override~

SAY NAME1 ~Kiai Smite~

SAY NAME2 ~All enemies within the area of effect when this spell is cast must save vs. spells or flee in terror. Certain creatures are immune to the effects of fear, including all undead.~

I'll be honest and say that making kits is not something I know how to do. I don't want to steer you wrong by saying something I'm not that sure of. NPCs I took a crack at one, but it begins to become a complicated matter if you want your NPC to be more than just extra baggage :p

However the tutorial I used for making an NPC is here and it was pretty straight forward...

actually I can't find it anymore. I think it might have been the linked document here http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=5886

Tho if you are wanting more detail this may be more of what you are looking for.... http://www.katbella.com/npcguide/

I prefer to get my hands dirty and just try things out to see what works, can get frustrating tho. that's when I turn to the tutorials or see what other mods have done. At least this way I know what I've done and understand to an extent what I'm trying to accomplish.

Archived