Dialogue weighting explanation?

Nilfalasiel

Ok, I'll probably end up kicking myself for getting into this, but here goes...

Is there, by any chance, an up-to-date explanation on dialogue weighting somewhere? I found one in the "How To's and Tutorials" section, but it was made back in 2004, so I'm guessing things might have changed since then.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking about attempting to fix a mod which causes a dialogue weighting conflict with another mod. I'm not going to rewrite any dialogue or change the actual mod content in any way, all I want is to try to get the two mods to play nice together.

If anybody's curious, this is about the Solaufein mod and the Solaufein Flirtpack. I've brought the issue up over at SHS, since I found a couple-years-old thread on there briefly discussing the problem, but a) the creators of both mods appear to be MIA/retired, b) there's no fix for the problem at the moment, and c) I don't think anybody's particularly keen on trying. I can understand that, I'm certainly not too enthused over having to get into the nitty gritty of it all, but having things bug out on me after getting as far as BG2 Chapter 6 just annoyed me. And hey, it's a challenge! I've read several tutorials now, and it's not like I'm going to write an NPC from scratch or anything drastic like that.

Basically, what's happening is that, past a certain point, the flirts override Solaufein's regular talks, and whenever a talk is due to fire (music starts playing), a banter fires instead. From what I've read so far, this appears to be a typical weighting issue. It might even end up being a case of simply changing a handful of numbers in the Flirtpack script (because the original Solaufein script, is...not user-friendly, to put it mildly). But that's where I'd need a hand on how weighting works. So if anybody could be so kind as to point me in the right direction, that'd be grand.

The WeiDU documentation explains dialogue weights. It's fairly simple; states with lower numbers (including negatives) will fire before those without numbers (assumed to be zero) or those with numbers. Otherwise the states run sequentially as ordered in the dialogue. Could be a variable issue too though.

The WeiDU documentation explains dialogue weights. It's fairly simple; states with lower numbers (including negatives) will fire before those without numbers (assumed to be zero) or those with numbers. Otherwise the states run sequentially as ordered in the dialogue.

Thanks, that makes sense. What about negative numbers though? From the thread I read, it seemed that they worked backwards...by that I mean that -2 would be weighted less than -1, even though it's technically a lower number.

Could be a variable issue too though.

Ah...Do you mean that there could be a missing variable, or conflicting ones? I noticed that the Flirtpack introduced a bunch of variables that weren't in the original script, but since I didn't think this could be a problem, I didn't look into it.

Archived