NPC Romance MOD Opinions

No mod offered by G3 contains non-consensual sexual content. Some of the components of Romantic Encounters are a little on the rough side, but they're all clearly labeled with prompts during installation. As for descriptive scenes, that depends. Nothing here by any author is more graphic than what you would find in a romance novel, but some people think romance novels go too far.

As for my personal opinion independent of my status as a forum moderator, I'm reluctant to advise regarding the mods I have played. For one thing, they are few. I have a very high smut threshold but a very low tolerance for exotic NPCs. It's a quirk.

I'm also ambivalent about the necessity of compiling this list. BG2 has a maturity rating. Children younger than "teen" should not be playing the game in the first place, and if a teen is determined to see something, a maturity rating on a mod will not prevent it. As a modder, I am concerned that a reviewer might mis-remember the mod or exaggerate. For example, the OP describes BG2 as "saturated in alcohol". The game has three visibly intoxicated persons in unsympathetic roles and offers the PC the opportunity to buy virtual wine or ale in exchange for rumors. As a modder, I would prefer that players with specific concerns, e.g. a sensitivity regarding sexual violence, to ask me directly what is in the mod, either on a forum or via PM. I have no objection to making this information public. I did write the mod(s) and they are publicly available. But I'd rather have the opportunity to definitively state what the mod does or does not contain rather than relying on a report by somebody who played the mod in 2008 and doesn't remember if a specific banter was in Angelo or Gavin.

I'm also ambivalent about the necessity of compiling this list. BG2 has a maturity rating. Children younger than "teen" should not be playing the game in the first place, and if a teen is determined to see something, a maturity rating on a mod will not prevent it. As a modder, I am concerned that a reviewer might mis-remember the mod or exaggerate. For example, the OP describes BG2 as "saturated in alcohol". The game has three visibly intoxicated persons in unsympathetic roles and offers the PC the opportunity to buy virtual wine or ale in exchange for rumors. As a modder, I would prefer that players with specific concerns, e.g. a sensitivity regarding sexual violence, to ask me directly what is in the mod, either on a forum or via PM. I have no objection to making this information public. I did write the mod(s) and they are publicly available. But I'd rather have the opportunity to definitively state what the mod does or does not contain rather than relying on a report by somebody who played the mod in 2008 and doesn't remember if a specific banter was in Angelo or Gavin.

Point taken on the "saturated in alcohol" vs. the "three visibly intoxicated persons, etc.." Opinions can certainly change the way someone might view this game/mod. But your summation of the facts of alcohol within the game is great, spot on.

As pertaining to asking the modder: I think that's a great idea! So I guess you could then take this as a forum which is directly asking you, as a modder, and other modders as well, what adult content is contained within a given mod. (All the given mods, in fact, because they're all open to the public and under scrutiny.) But I can't very well stop players from posting their experiences and opinions here, and I don't think that should be done in any event.

This isn't a definitive know-all review of a given mod's content. In fact, as of yet, no "reviews" have been posted other than that some mods contain adult content which is warned about in the readme or during installation.

This also isn't a criticism of modders/mods. The "worst-of-the-worst" was criticism of mods, which I don't think is right because modding is volunteer--to my knowledge, no one gets paid to write a mod that tries to enhance your gaming experience.

This post is merely information being gather into a centralized place. People can take or leave the reviews they find here, and I hope that people wouldn't see this forum as "the truth about mods, save your children," because it isn't meant that way. It's simply meant to be a time-saver for those people who care.

So, berelinde, taking your advice to ask you directly as a modder...out of the mods which you have written, which ones go over the original rating of Teen for sexual content in the game and why? In other words, which of your mods are more intense/detailed/sexual then, say, Viconia and why? Spoilers are uneeded, and details aren't apporpriate. Just a review/summation of the facts would be perfect! Thanks in advance.

And thanks for the feedback!

My 2 gp: Play through a mod, and form your own opinion. Reviews and ratings are nice, but they're all subjective. Everyone's different, everyone's experience is different.

Very, very subjective. I agree. Hopefully, as Miss Jade pointed out, a summation of the facts within a mod will help people to form their own opinions without having to rely on another person's opinion.

Well, since you have me on the line, as it were, I'll give a rundown of my mods, but most modders will not see this thread. Most modders (or the person who maintains the mod) do patrol their forums, though, so you might have better luck making individual requests. More work for you, but at least you'll get answers.

BG1 Gavin offers a choice between teen content and mature content at installation. The teen version (without the flirt pack) is on par with what you would find in the vanilla game in terms of intensity. The flirt pack contains mildly descriptive scenes, but it is an optional component. If you install the mature version, you should probably not be surprised if you find descriptive scenes. Please note that under specific circumstances, it is possible to demand that the NPC injure himself, but if he does so, he is doing it at the PC's request after several opportunities to change her mind. If the player gets Gavin drunk in game, he has additional banters with the PC and with other partymembers.

BG2 Gavin defaults to a PG-13 installation. There are descriptive scenes but they depict things you might expect to see on prime-time TV. He offers a borderline naughty flirt fairly early on. At that point, the PC can tell him to mind his manners or encourage his naughtiness. If she encourages his naughtiness, the descriptive scenes become more intense and the flirts can be a bit racy on both sides. Regarding the flirts and player-initiated dialogue, if you are seeing smut, it is because your character specifically asked him to do something smutty. Gavin's NPC/NPC romance with Imoen is a mixed bag. There is a scene in ToB where a non-joinable NPC engages a party member in a one night stand and there are a few banters that initially sound a lot dirtier than they actually are. In general, Gavin has a relaxed attitude about victimless human vices. He enjoys physical intimacy and he enjoys alcohol, but neither incites him to violence.

The SoA portion of the Keldorn Romance is probably cleaner than BioWare... as long as you include only Keldorn-initiated dialogue. The PC has the option of indulging in suggestive flirts, but they are at her discretion and direction. The quest offers a PC of either gender the opportunity to induge in casual sexual relations with non-joinable NPCs. This is voluntary and is presented as one possible way to resolve the quest without resorting to violence. There are other equally non-violent ways to resolve the quest that do not involve sex. The ToB portion includes one unavoidable mildly descriptive scene that ends when the bedroom door closes, figuratively speaking. Flirts aside, the rest of the romance is on par with BioWare. Flirts are all player-initiated and clearly labeled.

Fading Promises is a quest mod that offers a cerebral relationship with a ghost. Physical things are impossible and therefore not referenced in any way.

I am not sure what is the intention of this thread? Are we - authors - supposed to describe our mods in terms of its depth? I think this may be difficult, because author may have wanted to write it in some kind of way, but then it may appear that the way people see it, is different. It's like making interpretation of a poem... at least that's my opinion. I can tell you a word or two about the romance I wrote, but I am not sure if it may be of any use.

Yoshimo Romance - the romance is to add some story to the character, without changing its fate. So it's something opposite to Keeping Yoshimo. I wanted to make it as touching as possible, without any mercy, though. It is to give a opportunity to build close relationship with the bounty hunter, but once you decide to follow the path, it can get worse. I think this mod is quite deep, but note that I am not a native English speaker, so some proffesional writers like Berelinde or K'aeloree probably would write it using more accurate language. However, I did my best and I had it proofread, so it should be quite nice. There is a moment when they are close together, but it's somehow optional - depending on the answer. Also the relationship - under presented circumstances - may be somehow hurt you.

Yvette Romance - it's a part of CoI mod series, presented as a component of the series you may find at SHS. The romance is a bit idealistic, character is ethereal and you may find her a bit too sweet. However, she was supposed to be like a mix of Imoen and Aerie, without Aeries usual "oh my wings" thing. This mod can also take you down a bit - I mean the ToB part. The content of a mod shoud satisfy most players, but there are no PIDs. I hate those - I did them for few characters, but... huh. Is there and adult content? Well, even if there's something, it's rather delicate. Subtle.

Petsy Chattertone - well, the character is quite light. Note that you may romance her, if you character is of short race. Petsy is my only really cheerful character, I suppose. She's a halfling bard girl, who talks a lot - especially when she's nervous. She's not really good with serious emotions. I don't think there's a significant portion of adult content. Her relation with charname was supposed to be more normal than relations I presented abouve. So, she's there to aid you, but she may expect some help too. She's charming, slightly inmature and real, I suppose. A chance for those who have nothing against playin a dwarf/gnome/halfling.

I'm in a process of getting another romance ready, but it will be quite different to those I presented. The character is a bisexual hedonist, who is focused on his pleasure. You can expect something more... wild in the mod. But since it's not ready, there is no point in describig the project.

As in Berelinde's Fading Promises, there is a kind of flirt in my TotDG. You can have a relationship with Temper Touch or Gentle Touch. You meet them in Deep Gardens.

She's looking for an estimation of the sexual content of the mods, not the mod themes or a synopsis of the mod. Does the mod offer a verbal description of sexual acts? For example, the Tsujatha mod is quite explicit about what is happening in the PC's nether regions. Or is the mod more circumspect about physical matters, stopping the description before it gets to the naughty bits. Anomen tells the female PC that he will show her how gentle a man can be with the implication that sex will follow. Does the mod spell it out in greater detail than that?

I have played the Tales of the Deep Garden. It is nothing at all like Fading Promises. Touch is very explicit whereas Aidan confesses affection, nothing more. I'm not saying that one is better or worse than the other. It's just that the PC and Touch are both physically present in the Deep Gardens and Aidan is a ghost. When you haven't had a body in a few thousand years, "I like you" is about the best you can do.

Oh, I didn't mean that TotDG and FP have similar relatiship implementation - I wanted to say that there is also a kind of "romantic encounter", but I know that the thing in FP is different. It's something bigger and focused on talks, which are filled with Aidan's beliefs and thoughts. At least I remember it this way. In TotDG it's more physical and... sensual.

As for the topic itself - I see. I must admit that I didn't read the whole thread. Just some chunks. But... erm... is the description really that important. It looks as if Mashedtaters was making some kind of ... strange research. I am not sure if I do remember everything I worte in my mods...

Yoshimo Romance - I suppose there was a small bit of description, but short and gentle. I think I will just include a sample from my mods.I have no idea how to rate it. Example:

"The firelight flickering across his face makes him look even more exotic, and slightly unreal. Your embrace goes on for many minutes as you kiss and discover each another."

Yvette Romance - the description depends on your choice. If you decide to install full text, with lots of action text/ description, then your will get something, but still it will be rather gentle. A kind of poetic description. Picking text without action text, will result with a simple note that you spend night together. Sample with installed AText:

"A moment later, you both lie on the bedroll, covered lightly by a patchwork blanket of red, orange, violet, and brown. Your hand rests on her pale breast, as your bodies move as a synchronized machine. Her breath is warm on your chest, as you breathe in the familiar aroma of her skin."

Petsy Romance - it's not so poetic as my other romance, so there won't be any long description. There is just suggestion in a talk, that something's going to happen. Like:

"This night everything can happen..." (said by Petsy)

No description.

Maybe Berelinde can rate it somehow. I have no idea what is PG-13 and what should be fine for everyone...

Mine isn't released just yet. He's just public now. =) Though yeah, I was going to say Haer'dalis, and you might want to add Aran Whitehand also, since he's technically available.

OT, but, where is he avaible? o.o

Just slightly off topic, but Berelinde - does that mean Keldorn ToB is released? (Or still in beta?) I'd be very interested in that one.

It's still a beta. It's playable to the end of ToB without bugs, but there are one or two things I want to change before it goes live.

Lava, I don't think she wanted actual descriptions. But I'd put Yoshimo and Yvette as somewhat more graphic than Bioware, if not quite explicit. Petsy is probably less so than Bioware.

Mine isn't released just yet. He's just public now. =) Though yeah, I was going to say Haer'dalis, and you might want to add Aran Whitehand also, since he's technically available.

OT, but, where is he avaible? o.o

Mine or Aran? For mine, I meant announced rather than available. Aran... I think you need to get it through github at this point. I'm pretty sure the beta is public.

Updated

Posted information on BG1 Gavin, BG2 Gavin (and gave same rating to Gavin w/ Imoen), and Keldorne. Tell me if you believe that's accurate. Your reviews were absolutely perfect, thank you!

Updated

Posted information on Yoshimo, Yvette, and Petsy and gave ratings that I believed were appropriate. Please tell me if you believe that the rating I gave is appropriate/accurate to the mods. Thanks for you participation, Lava!

Archived