Copy/pasting a BG installation from WinXP to Win7

Grand_Dracolich

Just ordered a new laptop, finally upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 (and I only even recently upgraded from 2000 :p ), and I'm trying to puzzle out how to get things working how they are on my current laptop as much as possible. Probably what I might have the most issues with is BG1. I've been doing a playthrough of BG1Tutu with BG1NPC (and a few other mods) for Youtube, so I kind of need to keep my save file working perfectly.

Would I be able to simply install the game (for the registry entry and etc), then copy/paste my folder over, and still have my mods all work properly?

Really? No jumping through hoops? No esoteric rituals require to appease the Windows 7 deities? I vaguely recall last time it messed up some mods last time I did copy/paste a whole installation, but that was so many years ago I can't remember if that was actually the case or if I was just worried about it.

Well, you will have to edit your baldur.ini if you change the installation directory of course but otherwise I can't see why it wouldn't work. It's a good idea to install outside Program Files on Win7 as well since it is a protected folder and doesn't work well with old programs.

Archived