New spell icons for SR4

Pacek

Snowball: The new one is better I think

Icelance: I prefer the new one... Actually, the problem with V1 is that there seems to be a drop at the tip of the lance (If you see what I mean), and when I see a drop on a spell icon, I think "acid" or "blood" or "poison", but not "cold", that's why it bugs me...

Regeneration: Don't know... The "69" thing bugs me too... What about something Ankh-based ? Could that be nice ?

(also, I insist that Battering ram looks better this way 857307BatteringRamA.png )

I honestly don't know about any ankh-like casting animation, but I'm almost positive that there's no spell icon using an ankh, and maybe that's enough to consider it, especially if veyn is right and "aid" is the only possible confusion, since druids don't get "aid" anyway (or am I wrong ?)

This is really nice stuff, Pacek! Is there a tutorial for icon making you would recommend?

Thanks! But no, I didn't use any tutorial.

I would recommend checking out Miloch's Bam Batcher, it has some useful resources (including some tutorial links I think)

I use Illustrator to make vector art and import to Photoshop on a blank icon background, add some layer effects and such. I still don't a have really solid workflow I'm happy with, it's a bit ad-hoc.

the filed out one looks more powerful somehow.

I agree. The ankh idea also sounds cool, but of the existing Regeneration series, I like V1 the best.

I'll highlight some of my favourites from the work so far:

Monster Summoning 1-9, Conjure Elementals 1-3

Dimension Step, Dimension Door: DimensionStep.png DimensionDoor.png

Snilloc's Snowball Swarm: Snillocs_2A.png

Icelance: Icelance_2A.png

Phantasmal Killer: PhantasmalKiller2A.png

Vitriolic Sphere: VSphereA.png (though maybe add some indication of acid on the sphere itself, liquidity?)

I think Gedlee's Electric Loop (GELoop.png) could do with being a little more loopy (connected).

Hi Demi,

I haven't forgotten about you, and one day soon I hope I can get around to making more icons.

I'll organise those bams and send them to you.

Cool thanks! Take your time if you need it, we actually thought to not include any new spell within v4 to release it shortly after the upcoming new IR, but for many spells the icons are really the only thing which would slow me down. Implementing things like Ball Lightning or new summons takes a lot of time, but things like Fog Cloud or Phantasmal Killer would be pretty easy.

For example, I've already removed all Cure Wound spells from druids, and the new Regenerate Wound spells are simply waiting to have their own icons (either your v1 or v3 version). :)

Archived