Wine problems IWD2, widescreen mod

jpamills

Hello

To describe what I have done, I installed Icewind Dale 2 from the 2 in one dvd boxset, did not install the directX 8.0 patch, patched it up to 2.01, and this plays successfully through wine.

I then downloaded the .exe verison of the widescreen mod 3.05, extracted it with no errors under wine to the game directory, installed the linux version of WeiDU, and cd'ed to the Icewind Dale directory. The readme says to run tolower, which I do, but the second question, whether to create a linux.ini from baldur.ini fails (perhaps because there is no baldur.ini but only a icewind2.ini? I tried renaming icewind2.ini to baldur.ini, but this doesn't work either.) But then running "WeInstall widescreen" does indeed work, and when launching the game with "wine iwd2.exe" the window appears in the correct size, but crashes before showing the intro movies (wine version 1.5.7). Log attached. But even so, uninstalling the mod with "WeInstall widescreen" works, and the game can run again.

I have also tried running setup-widescreen.exe through wine, but this does not work. I have made sure to start from a virgin IWD2 2.01 folder each attempt.

Crashdump from wine attached, along with the setup-widescreen.debug and weidu.log (renamed due to forum rules it seems). Any ideas?

backtrace.txt

setup-widescreen.debug.txt

weidu.log.txt

Not sure what setting you are trying to use, but if it is 1024x600 (like my netbook), IWD2 won't run. It happens under windows as well, the screen turns black like it will run and then crashes. You will see in other posts people having the same issue, and some will say to increment one number by 1 or 2, etc - none of it works. At least in my experience, IWD2 will only run 800x600 at best on a netbook, which sucks because the other IE games run perfect in 1024x600. At one point, the author release 3.05 to apparently fix this issue for some, but it didn't change anything. If you are trying on something other than a netbook and higher that 1024x600, not sure what the issue is - just thought I would post this to save you some grief if otherwise.

Archived