Cam's in-depth review of Dark Knight Rises

CamDawg

In my country (Italy) it's not out until 29th of August!!! :'( I really cannot wait. Does it live up to its absurdly high expectations?

I'd put it behind Batman Begins but ahead of Dark Knight. The ridiculous reviews of 'best movie evar' are crazy, but it's still a great movie.

In my country (Italy) it's not out until 29th of August!!! :'( I really cannot wait. Does it live up to its absurdly high expectations?

I'd put it behind Batman Begins but ahead of Dark Knight. The ridiculous reviews of 'best movie evar' are crazy, but it's still a great movie.
Cool. I actually never decided which one is better between BB and DK. The Critics say DK is hugely better but I don't agree, if it wasn't for Ledger outstanding performance I would had no problem saying the first one was better. DK was more ambitious, and it was great, but it also had flaws and small plot holes imo (not to mention I cannot stand the change of actress for Rachel Dawes), whereas BB was more "simple" but flawless.

Anyway, good to know it's great!

Tim Burton was doing better IMO.

I prefer the Burton movies, too. He really grasped the look & feel I would expect from Gotham, and the main characters seemed to reflect this as well, even if it took them far away from the comic books.

I like Nolan's movies in general, but his Batman saga has been underwhelming for me. The first one I found a bit dull; I liked the second one more, but resented the fact that Batman was Harvey Dent's supporting character. Ledger was awesome, did not expect such a performance in the least.

Here it is:

Batman Begins ***

The Dark Knight ****

The Dark Knight Rises ***

I find myself to be Camdawg's opposite when talking about the Batman Trilogy. Nolan is a superb director and his best movie are (in my opinion) Insomnia, Inception and the Dark Knight. Unfortunately The Dark Knight Rises is not in the same league of The Dark Knight. The characterizations are much less strong (Catwoman is flatter than Tim Burton's, Bane belongs to a very different class than the Joker's) and the plot is way less compelling. The direction style is still strong but the dialogues choke here and there. Too long for its own good.

Meh, I don't understand the love for Inception. It was solid but not spectacular.

Dark Knight gets a lot of love for Heath Ledger's acting (and rightly so), but otherwise... The anarchist clown who hates planning has plans within plans within plans, accounting for every known contingency with perfect predictive powers. Not that all three movies don't have gaping plot holes, but I just couldn't get past such a fundamental mischaracterization for a main character. Which is a shame, because performance-wise, it's probably the best movie adaptation of the Joker.

I can understand the Catwoman gripe, though. They went for a more plausible rendition of the character in a movie where everything else was pushing believability--that treatment sits right in Batman Begins, but not when they're demolishing football stadiums in TDKR. I liked Pfeiffer, but it's an apples-and-oranges comparison.

Here it is:

Batman Begins ***

The Dark Knight ****

The Dark Knight Rises ***

The direction style is still strong but the dialogues choke here and there. Too long for its own good.

The Dark Knight Rises is last in my preferences with Batman Begins being my favourite. The writing in DKR felt weak at times and it could really have done with tighter editing. I agree it felt too long.

Also, I like Christian Bale but he never seems to have any chemistry with leading ladies. Dramatic sequences, especially involving romance don't seem to be his strong suit.

Also, I like Christian Bale but he never seems to have any chemistry with leading ladies. Dramatic sequences, especially involving romance don't seem to be his strong suit.

Heh, I was just talking about this with someone yesterday - he cannot seem to connect with his female costars at all. It's not very romantic when I'm scratching my head wondering why he's getting naked with a lady he doesn't seem remotely attracted to or interested in. Always so awkward with the kissing, too.

I've never been a fan of this particular spin on Batman. I'm hardheaded about change for the sake of change, and all the little things irked me. The constant mispronunciation of Ra's name alone drove me nuts. They're okay movies, but they just didn't feel like Batman most of the time.

Archived