More stuff for v10

Um, the armor's equipped appearance is leather by default in vanilla BG2. I don't know why that aTweaks component says it "changes" the appearance to leather when it already has that appearance by default. My point was that the armor's ground icon is chain. The aTweaks component does nothing to correct that.

So I'm sorry to repeat myself:

- Valygar is a stalker, stalkers can only wear leather/studded leather.

- The equipped appearance of his armor on the paper doll is leather/studded leather.

- The sound of the armor when put down in the inventory is that of a leather/studded leather armor.

- Contrary to all the above, the ground icon of that very armor looks like a chain/splint mail.

Hence, the ground icon needs to be fixed.

Um, the armor's equipped appearance is leather by default in vanilla BG2.

Now that I finally have the game installed again, I can confirm this. Funny, I was pretty sure that it was set up as chainmail in the base game. As it stands, aTweaks actually just changes the armor's color scheme to match its inventory picture.

In light of that, your point concerning the ground icon is valid.

Well, in my last playthroughs Valygar's armor looked like a chainmail, not only on the ground, but ingame and on the inventory screen.

I am sure that it comes from a mod, as I remember that in my first runs in vanilla BG2, his armor looked like leather, as Hurricane said.

OR maybe it comes from ToB or a patch

(there were some things like these happenig in my games, changing colors or bams of items, I remember that the robe of vecna changed a lot from my first game, when I installed a patch, or tob, or mods)

Entertaining thread back there in '05, to say the least. :D

Just to clarify: I am fully aware that Valygar's armor was created from a chainmail template. It was actually chan07.itm that was copied over. That's why I intentionally did not argue for a full change to studded leather with respect to the armor itself. But the cosmetic aspect is perfectly separable from the armor's properties in this case. The old thread there already made all the right conclusions (as would be expected after a thorough discussion...), namely that Valygar's armor is derived from chain and at the same time looks and feels like (studded) leather, and appropriately so for a stalker. Now I'm repeating what CamDawg just said.

And that's why correcting the ground icon to leather is necessary, while at the same time it puts us in the comfortable position of not being forced to make any changes to the actual properties of the armor.

Another issue:

There are a bunch of items in the game that have a spurious, unusable ability attached to them, which should be removed. I started compiling a list of those items ...

amul18

amul27

belt04

belt05

belt07

belt08

belt10

bow19a

bow19b

brac01

brac02

brac03

brac08

brac11

brac13

brac14

brac18

ring02

ring04

ring21

ring23

ring25

ring37

ring38

... but then realized it would be better to automatically search for those instead of manually looking at each of the 2400+ items like an idiot. Since NI won't let me search for that attribute, I'm hoping you guys can find a way, so we don't miss any of those items.

By the way, some of the items in question, such as the wolfsbane charm (amul18) and probably a few others, are unused in BG2, but I don't know whether we want to sort them out and apply the rule of fixing only used resources in this case. If we do, please still let me know which items are not getting fixed, so I can check whether there is need for reporting them to the BGT forum.

Another issue:

There are a bunch of items in the game that have a spurious, unusable ability attached to them, which should be removed. I started compiling a list of those items ...

amul18

amul27

belt04

belt05

belt07

belt08

belt10

bow19a

bow19b

brac01

brac02

brac03

brac08

brac11

brac13

brac14

brac18

ring02

ring04

ring21

ring23

ring25

ring37

ring38

... but then realized it would be better to automatically search for those instead of manually looking at each of the 2400+ items like an idiot. Since NI won't let me search for that attribute, I'm hoping you guys can find a way, so we don't miss any of those items.

By the way, some of the items in question, such as the wolfsbane charm (amul18) and probably a few others, are unused in BG2, but I don't know whether we want to sort them out and apply the rule of fixing only used resources in this case. If we do, please still let me know which items are not getting fixed, so I can check whether there is need for reporting them to the BGT forum.

These are fixed in the soon-to-be-deprecated modder pack. They're leftovers from BG (or copied from old BG items), where the engine couldn't stack items without headers and are ultimately harmless.

These are fixed in the soon-to-be-deprecated modder pack.

So in other words, they are not fixed. :D You say the abilities are leftovers, but these abilities are not present in the respective BG1 items. Even when you export the original item files from BG1 and put them into a BG2 game, there is no trace of those abilities. Which means it looks like the abilities were attached to the items after BG1, so I can't quite understand how they could be leftovers from BG1. The same is evident when looking at BG:EE, actually, where we now have the ridiculous situation that those items which were added to the game from BG2 have the unknown ability, while the original BG1 items don't have it. Just remove it, everywhere.

Another issue: Is there any clue as to why SHLD31 should be missing the usual +1 AC bonus vs. missile weapons? Because currently, it does.

These are fixed in the soon-to-be-deprecated modder pack.

So in other words, they are not fixed. :D You say the abilities are leftovers, but these abilities are not present in the respective BG1 items. Even when you export the original item files from BG1 and put them into a BG2 game, there is no trace of those abilities. Which means it looks like the abilities were attached to the items after BG1, so I can't quite understand how they could be leftovers from BG1. The same is evident when looking at BG:EE, actually, where we now have the ridiculous situation that those items which were added to the game from BG2 have the unknown ability, while the original BG1 items don't have it. Just remove it, everywhere.

You're right, I was thinking of the magical headers on the gems.

The default headers were there to designate items for nishruu draining--in SoA, nishruu eat anything and in ToB the opcode is disabled, so their presence makes no difference whatsoever. There's nothing to fix.

Another issue: Is there any clue as to why SHLD31 should be missing the usual +1 AC bonus vs. missile weapons? Because currently, it does.

It's a large shield, so yes, it should be there.

You're right, I was thinking of the magical headers on the gems.

The default headers were there to designate items for nishruu draining--in SoA, nishruu eat anything and in ToB the opcode is disabled, so their presence makes no difference whatsoever. There's nothing to fix.

Ah, good to know then. :)

Bows, on the other hand, are a mess:

If you're interested, I've posted a full list of weapons' inconsistencies http://forums.gibber...ndpost&p=197651

Let me preface this with me being uncomfortable changing items--especially named items--where the item abilities and descriptions match, especially for damage and thac0. It's very easy to wander off into a balance discussion, and that way madness lies. I'm a little more flexible for speed factors, since these seem to be wrong often.

At any rate, I'd defer anything here to v11, since I prefer discussion on stuff like this as a sanity check.

Hangard's Axe +2, Rifthome Axe +3, K'logarath +4, Dwarven Thrower +3, Hammer of Thunderbolts +3, Runehammer +4, Runehammer +5 - increase damage by 1

Oh, the axes... plain throwing axes do 1d6+1, so the enchanted throwing axes are missing that +1 damage bonus. But the added damage makes throwing axes superior in every way to their non-throwing counterparts--better speed factor, less STR requirements, less weight, cheaper, but with the same thac0 and average damage, whether used in melee or thrown. I'd be more inclined to make bogstandard throwing axes do a straight 1d6, since they're the ones out of the pattern.

I'm not worried about the hammers--they're getting a full extra die of damage, so they're already out of the damage/enchantment pattern.

Blackblood +3, Club of Detonation +3 - reduce SF by 3

Bone Club +2, Gnasher +2, Short Bow of Gesen, Bow of Arvoreen, Erinne Sling +4 - reduce SF by 2

Short Bow of Gesen seems intentional and I've already nabbed the Bow of Arvoreen. Erinne Sling +4 has 0 SF, so I'm guessing you mean it needs to be increased to 2 (which is correct). Otherwise yes on these.

Mace of Disruption +2, Boomerang Dagger +2, Fire Tooth +3, Crom Faeyr, Erinne Sling +5, Staff of the Magi, Staff of the Woodlands +4, Staff of Rynn +4, Staff of the Ram +4, Staff of the Ram +6, Dart +5, Cutthroat +4, The Equalizer, Lilarcor, Defender of Easthaven +2, Firetooth +5 - reduce SF by 1

Same issue with Erinne Sling +5--it's 0 SF in the game, so it should be increased to one. No changes for the staves or Firetooth +5--it does seem that Bioware generally capped two-handed weapons at 1 SF. Otherwise yes to these.

Club of Detonation +5 - reduce SF by 4

Yep.

Ripper +2, Mana Bow +4, Long Bow +2, Taralash +4, Taralash +5, Long Bow +3 - increase thaco by 1

I think the only one we miss here is Ripper.

Drow Crossbow of Speed, War Hammer +1 vs Giantkin, Staff of Command, Staff of Power, Flame Tongue, Sling of Everard +5, Staff of Arundel, Light Crossbow of Speed - increase SF by 1

Yep.

Staff Spear +2 - reduce damage by 1

Albruin +1, Namarra +2 - reduce damage by 2

Sling of Everard +5 - increase damage by 4

Damage matches the description--there's not really a lot to suggest these are wrong.

Heavy Crossbow of Accuracy - increase SF by 3

Back to 10? If anything it should be 5.

Crossbow of Affliction +4 - reduce SF by 5

Yep.

Ripper +2, Heartseeker +3, Tuigan Bow +1, Drow Bolt of Sleep, Drow Bolt of Stunning, Drow Bolt +1 - reduce damage by 1

My problem with the Ripper change is that this, combined with the thac0 fix, makes it a generic composite long bow +2, except 1000gp more expensive. The rest are justified.

Crom Fayer - increase damage by 3

It's already getting a full die over a regular hammer.

Shadow Thief Dagger - increase SF by 1

Yep.

Strong Arm +2, Short Bow of Gesen - reduce damage by 2, but perhaps not?

I'd say the same thing about Strong Arm as I would about Ripper--reducing the damage simply turns it into a double-price Composite Long Bow +2. Gesen is unique enough for me to not want to change it.

I hate ETA pestering as much as the next guy, but I notice a lot of activity on this thread, notice the letters RC being mentioned, so I feel compelled to ask:

I am just about to start my next BG2 playthrough, I do this once every year or two. I would hate starting it up and then hearing the fixpack got a huge update my second day of playing the game.

All I'd like to know, really, is if it's longer than a week away. I take it the release candidates are under lock and key for most of us regular folkK?

I take it the release candidates are under lock and key for most of us regular folkK?

No, if you are so inclined you can download it from github and go nuts. The difference is just what little effort that goes into packaging the mod (essentially, adding a copy of WeiDU).

I hate ETA pestering as much as the next guy, but I notice a lot of activity on this thread, notice the letters RC being mentioned, so I feel compelled to ask:

I am just about to start my next BG2 playthrough, I do this once every year or two. I would hate starting it up and then hearing the fixpack got a huge update my second day of playing the game.

All I'd like to know, really, is if it's longer than a week away. I take it the release candidates are under lock and key for most of us regular folkK?

I just put RC3 on Github last night--I think this is it, unless Hurricane shows up to tell me I've done it all wrong again. :) Anything new at this point is being deferred to v11.

Archived