Clarification on v3.00+ savegame updating in PST

cburke

This statement in the readme had me confused: "As of 3.0, save games for TotSC and Ps:T are updated, but all areas will be set as 'unexplored'."

I installed everything with v3.05 and started playing from there. I did not choose the multiple resolutions option (as I didn't know what it meant at the time). I took the above statement to mean that if I changed the resolution and updated my save game files, all areas would be set as unexplored. I've done this though, and this does not appear to be the case (areas which were explored are still accurately reflected as such).

Now I'm thinking pehaps what this statement means is if I had savegames on pre-3.00 and then updated to 3.00+ (updating my saves as well) *then* the expored bitmask would be cleared.

If you could kindly clarify I would appreciate it as I'm concerned that there's something wrong and I don't want to sink multiple hours into the game to discover that something is corrupted later.

Thanks!

-C

Actually, I believe it is simpler than that. If you decide to update your save game files, wherever they come from (base game, older version or same version of Widescreen), the areas your already explored will have to be expanded / reduced in the save game files and the explored part data will be erased so the areas will appear as unexplored.

In any case, you should be able to recover all kinds of situation by reinstalling the mod and asking it to update the save game files, at the cost of that "unexplored" thing.

If you're using the GUI mod, I suggest you uninstall it before changing anything in Widescreen, so that when you install it again later, the GUI mod properly adjusts to the new resolution.

Actually, I believe it is simpler than that. If you decide to update your save game files, wherever they come from (base game, older version or same version of Widescreen), the areas your already explored will have to be expanded / reduced in the save game files and the explored part data will be erased so the areas will appear as unexplored.

Ok, however, I did update my save game files without losing the explored area data. Perhaps it's becase I only went from non-mulit-resolution to multi-resolution. I was at 1280x1024 non multi-resolution and I went to 1280x1024 with 1920x1080 saves. I'm guessing that becase I kept the same resolution for playing (not the save resolution) it didn't lose the explored data. On the other hand, I also hadn't left the mausoleum yet - so maybe that was a factor as well.

Archived