v10 Docs Revamp

I've spent a lot of time getting reacquainted with the Fixpack and the excellent work done by Wisp, aVENGER, and DavidW, in prep for v10. One of my big projects was trying to bring some organization and improvements to the (now hideously sprawling) documentation. As such, they've essentially been re-written with a couple of goals in mind:

• Written for players--I've tried to rewrite a lot of stuff in terms that an average player would understand (or care about) instead of talking about timing modes and malformed actions.
  • Concision--current docs are about ~50k words (and that's without anything from v9 documented); new docs weigh in at ~33k words (~42k with modder notes enabled)
  • Elimination of file names--material that's not relevant to players, i.e. file names, are now hidden in the docs. A button will enable full documentation, known as modder's notes, that includes relevant files and info for each fix.
  • Combination of core and beta core docs--these are now a single manifesto, with beta fixes delineated by a separate color

I've documented all of the new additions since v8 through the current unofficial Wisp/aVENGER v9.14 and some of my ramblings in the v10 thread. So, enough yapping--what I'm really looking for is some feedback, specifically, the readability of the docs, further suggestions for improvement, etc.

Here's the current v10 readme and documentation.

That... is... AWESOME!

Slowly going through all of that :p Speaking of suggestions, I've always wanted to know why a specific fix was in the beta component and not in the core, especially when some of them seem like obvious fixes... But I guess it's not worth making it any bigger yeah?

Great stuff, can't wait for v10 with all the new stuff discovered recently!

Is this all in the latest commit or just preemptive?

Wisp has a branch of beta stuff waiting to be promoted to core that's not in the main branch. My v10 free association thread is not on Github yet; I'm trying to work through the rest of the BGEE stuff before writing up and submitting one big batch of changes.

The 'preview' docs, for lack of a better word, was meant to see how folks would like the new style and if there was anything we can improve upon.

My v10 free association thread is not on Github yet; I'm trying to work through the rest of the BGEE stuff before writing up and submitting one big batch of changes.

Oh, here I have slowly been adding stuff up to (and not including) "effing effs". But if you want to sort it out in one go, I can leave the rest for you.

Great revamp, Cam! :)

In the documentation, the following fixes have their file names displayed even when the Modder Notes are hidden:

- Area Entrance/Exit Errors -> last bullet point

- Common Script Fix Roundup -> last bullet point

- Chromatic Orb Fixes

My v10 free association thread is not on Github yet; I'm trying to work through the rest of the BGEE stuff before writing up and submitting one big batch of changes.

Oh, here I have slowly been adding stuff up to (and not including) "effing effs". But if you want to sort it out in one go, I can leave the rest for you.

Thanks! But yeah, I'll organize and post the rest of it to Github.

Great revamp, Cam! :)

In the documentation, the following fixes have their file names displayed even when the Modder Notes are hidden:

- Area Entrance/Exit Errors -> last bullet point

- Common Script Fix Roundup -> last bullet point

- Chromatic Orb Fixes

Thanks, these are fixed.

Thanks! But yeah, I'll organize and post the rest of it to Github.

And so I have.

My BGEE review is done, so I think my v10 thread may be more or less finished. As such, I've updated the docs through the end of that thread.

Archived