Typos in BG1 NPC v20

hook71

But in this instance we are replacing a correct phrasing with a newfangled (that's not even universally accepted) word. The change is unnecessary.

Not to mention that "Why ever for?" looks, and sounds, better than "Whyever?" - not the least in a Forgotten Realms setting.

Thank you Nilfalasiel! Will integrate (most of) your suggestions in my posts above.

@288 = ~Were I a slave in Mulhorand, once a day I would catch a glimpse of your sandals while protrating myself on the marble floor at your feet, and I would be the happiest man in Mulhorand.~

The repetition of Mulhorand is a bit awkward. Maybe substitute "country" for the second instance of "Mulhorand"? So "I would be the happiest man in the country".

Didn't integrate this since it is a bit subjective.

But in this instance we are replacing a correct phrasing with a newfangled (that's not even universally accepted) word. The change is unnecessary.

Not to mention that "Why ever for?" looks, and sounds, better than "Whyever?" - not the least in a Forgotten Realms setting.

OK, I hear you. Dropping that change for now.

@179 = ~The Red Wizards of Thay hold the darkest secrets of the strongest magic! The weakest of our Zulkir could grind that pathetic Elminster of yours to dust with a flick of her finger. (I hold more power in my pinky then <PRO_HESHE> does in <PRO_HISHER> dry little brain, I am sure.)~

Are all Zulkir female? If they can be both genders, then it should be "their" instead of "her".

The Zulkir are mixed gender. One each for the eight schools of magic. If Edwin considers a female Zulkir of one of these schools to be the weakest I guess the current line is correct?

@398 = ~Of dear Barzenak? Why ever for? No. He tried to become a lich... didn't quite make it. They stuffed him, I as I heard it, and sat him in the hallway of his former home. The new owner claimed his effigy keeps the zombies up to their work.~

Why ever for -> Whyever

Some disagreement here so I'm not integrating that one for the moment.

@491 = ~Well, thinking about it, I had little contact with the kids of my own age except for Imoen. But there were nice people around: Dreppin, the stable master, Fuller, the commander of Candlekeep Guard, and Hull, one of the guards. Then there was Phylidia, the mage whose absent-mindedness was well known, and of course Winthrop, the jolly innkeeper.~

@498 = ~As you wish. Thinking about it, I had little contact with kids my own age, except for Imoen. But there were nice people around: Dreppin, the stable master, Fuller, the commander of Candlekeep Guard, and Hull, one of the guards. Then there was Phylidia, the mage whose absent-mindedness was well known, and of course Winthrop, the jolly innkeeper.~

"Kids" is a very contemporary word. I'd suggest using "children" instead.

A bit subjective so I'm not integrating that change.

@172 = ~Oh, that’s when that wizard caught you with his wife and you had to flee the Gate?~

that's

Not necessarily wrong. "That's" could stand for "that is" or "that was".

Are you sure? I thought it stood for "that is" or "that has".

@276 = ~*giggles* How’d you know that? Do you come up to a person and ask if he can afford to be robbed? Or do you leave a message in a house you have just picked clean with your address, so they can reach you in case if they’d want stuff back?~

in case if they’d -> in case they

I can't really see anything wrong with "in case they'd". Fits well with "How'd" earlier in the sentence.

There should probably also be consistency as far as American or British spelling is concerned. I've seen "armour" used in some of the earlier quotes, but here, you have "color". I don't know which spelling takes priority, but either make it "armour" and "colour" (and everything else that takes a "u"), or "armor" and "color".

This mod is a mix of American and British English. Someone would have to decide which it should be. I have only reported changes to match spellings within dialogues for now.

@179 = ~The Red Wizards of Thay hold the darkest secrets of the strongest magic! The weakest of our Zulkir could grind that pathetic Elminster of yours to dust with a flick of her finger. (I hold more power in my pinky then <PRO_HESHE> does in <PRO_HISHER> dry little brain, I am sure.)~

Are all Zulkir female? If they can be both genders, then it should be "their" instead of "her".

The Zulkir are mixed gender. One each for the eight schools of magic. If Edwin considers a female Zulkir of one of these schools to be the weakest I guess the current line is correct?

I believe Edwin are referring to either Lallara Mediocros, Yaphyll or Mythrellan - out of those I'd say it's Lallara; her surname more or less marks her as mediocre :D Anyway, "her" is probably correct.

@398 = ~Of dear Barzenak? Why ever for? No. He tried to become a lich... didn't quite make it. They stuffed him, I as I heard it, and sat him in the hallway of his former home. The new owner claimed his effigy keeps the zombies up to their work.~

Why ever for -> Whyever

Some disagreement here so I'm not integrating that one for the moment.

Thumbs up.

@491 = ~Well, thinking about it, I had little contact with the kids of my own age except for Imoen. But there were nice people around: Dreppin, the stable master, Fuller, the commander of Candlekeep Guard, and Hull, one of the guards. Then there was Phylidia, the mage whose absent-mindedness was well known, and of course Winthrop, the jolly innkeeper.~

@498 = ~As you wish. Thinking about it, I had little contact with kids my own age, except for Imoen. But there were nice people around: Dreppin, the stable master, Fuller, the commander of Candlekeep Guard, and Hull, one of the guards. Then there was Phylidia, the mage whose absent-mindedness was well known, and of course Winthrop, the jolly innkeeper.~

"Kids" is a very contemporary word. I'd suggest using "children" instead.

A bit subjective so I'm not integrating that change.

Here I actually agree with Nilfalasiel. "Kids" doesn't really ring well in the setting. The usage of "children" and "child" is quite common in BG. After all, it's not Kids of Bhaal ;) I'd be surprised if the word "kid/kids" appear anywhere in any game text.

Here I actually agree with Nilfalasiel. "Kids" doesn't really ring well in the setting. The usage of "children" and "child" is quite common in BG. After all, it's not Kids of Bhaal ;) I'd be surprised if the word "kid/kids" appear anywhere in any game text.

The vanilla BG1 game text contains 32 kid, 6 kids, 9 kiddo and 1 kiddos. Also a lot of kidnappings...

The vanilla BG1 game text contains 32 kid, 6 kids, 9 kiddo and 1 kiddos. Also a lot of kidnappings...

Haha, fantastic! I stand corrected then :)

(although I maintain that kids are baby goats;))

Hmm...I've always spelled "whyever" as one word. I'm actually surprised to hear there's disagreement over it >.> But fair enough.

I can't really see anything wrong with "in case they'd". Fits well with "How'd" earlier in the sentence.

Fair enough. "In case they want stuff back" sounded more natural to me, but I agree that it's probably subjective.

I was also interrupted by forum downtime before I got through the rest of the posts. Let me get back on it.

@202 = ~Well, my singing skills are, uh, second to none. Can't argue with that! Plus I'm an excellent fighter, and my mage’s skills are coming along quickly. And I've got pretty light fingers when it comes to purses. I'd consider myself quite a useful addition to the party.~

mage's -> magic

@219 = ~How about we give another go to wrestling between the sheets?~

give another go to -> have another go at

@772 = ~I see that your head is still too big for you. Ha! I’ll see to it that self-righteous swelling goes down. "I allow the party". Ha!~

Technically, it should be "I'll see to it that that self-righteous swelling goes down". It doesn't sound very good though.

@1021 = ~You... you have picked this stinking weeds for your hussy! Don't bother to deny it, you, creep!~

you, creep -> you creep

@1115 = ~*She pokes you into your ribs.*~

into your ribs -> in the ribs

@41 = ~You... you do not care about anyone, don't you? Not about Gorion, not about your friends who try to console you. At least I have Eldoth. He loves me, he's all I have now. ~

your friends who try to console you -> the friends who try to console you

@99 = ~You think Tiax is a clown, here for your amusement!? Would you like Tiax to do a little dance and wear a funny costume, as well!? Why Cyric granted Tiax such disrespectful slaves, Tiax will never know, but he tires of this impudence! World conquest shall come soon, and then his slave's laughter will turns to tears upon the sacrificial altar!~

his slave's -> his slaves'

@145 = ~Don't get too cocky, pointy-ear! You may have the advantage now, but when Tiax rules, his harem shall number in the tens of thousands, with all the most beautiful women of every race gathered in it's number! Then Tiax shall lock you in his dungeon for the remainder of your years, never again knowing the embrace of a beautiful woman, so that you will curse the day you did not bend knee to Tiax when you had the chance!~

gathered in its number -> gathered together

@176 = ~When Tiax rules, Tiax thinks this would be a great place for a statue, honoring his greatness! Standing three hundred feet into the air, covered in precious jewels, and forged of gold and mithril! 'Tis DESTINED! Oh, and maybe the rest of you will deserve a plaque a little down the road mentioning your contribution to Tiax's rule. A small plaque.~

will deserve -> deserve

@288 = ~Ahhhh, hair as white as the snow and soul as black as coal! The nose could have been larger, but... Cyric, and by connotation Tiax himself, would benefit from servants such as yourself! Why have you dedicated yourself to the false god Shar,when the Black Sun would welcome you into his service?~

as the snow -> as snow

@293 = ~Not only that, but you would be allowed to sing the praises of Cyric's name, sacrifice the faithless to his glory, and eventually meet your end, fighting against his enemies! What greater reward could be asked for then to live and die in the name of Cyric and his greatest champion!?~

What greater reward could be asked for then to live and die in the name of Cyric and his greatest champion!? -> What greater reward could you ask for than to live and die in the name of Cyric and be his greatest champion!?

I met the bounty hunters who were tracking Belgin, told them where Belgin was hiding out. I profited nicely from this deal! Belgin pays, the bounty hunters pay, and hopefully they'll hang Belgin before anyone in Amn can learn the truth.~

tracking Belgin, told them -> tracking Belgin and told them

@8 = ~My nose was just fine, until ye entered my favorite tavern and filled it's common room with yer stench. I know adventurer, when I smell it, for it has the reek of stupidity and lust for ill-gotten treasure. Now begone, for while yer stench is powerful, yer wit is weak, and I don't spar with children.~

adventurer, when I smell it -> adventurer when I smell it

@2006 = ~Gift? I would have called a gift, if you asked before bestowing it upon us. Wolves are proud and strong beasts, and there is no shame in having wolf-blood. By not giving us the choice, you had cursed us, Kaishas.~

if you asked -> if you had asked

you had cursed us -> you have cursed us

And here's the last of it:

@59 = ~An ancient red will not burn us into a crisp, but we'd die of poison, instead. <CHARNAME>, have mercy on us, walk wide around this suicidal maniac... though then we risk forging this mighty stream. Under current weather conditions, it can only lead to influenza. Why, oh why did you choose this bridge?~

into a crisp -> to a crisp

@92 = ~Is anything good ever happens in this world? A group of ragged mercenaries came to the Halfway Inn about fifty years ago. They brought back Erevain’s sword and diary. His... his body was found near Kuldahar path...~

Is anything good ever happens -> Is anything good that ever happens / Does anything good ever happen

@254 = ~Long eared, yet short minded. It’s the “when” and “whom” means in killing. If the action itself was of any significance, than even <CHARNAME> has <PRO_HISHER> claim to greatness for all these *xvarts* <PRO_HESHE> managed to defeat so bravely.~

long eared, yet short minded -> long-eared, yet short-minded

means in killing -> which have meaning in killing

@259 = ~I will gladly cede the honor of early death to you, even if that proves the quality of a person. Besides, you will only be comfortable with life after you die. I can never understand why do you bother with sticking about on the Material Plane, where everything is so adverse to your gentle physic and psyche.~

bother with -> bother

@281 = ~Maybe you should pull yourself out of the warped fairy tale you seem to be living in, and take a nice long look at reality. People die, some in pain, others in peace. Its something you can not avoid. And then, you can watch your 'happiness', your 'glory', and your 'love' all go down the hole it came from.~

living in, and take -> living in and take

can not -> cannot

it came from -> they came from

@347 = ~At times. That last lot, they coins were so clipped and sweated, a blind beggar wouldn’t hardly touch ‘em. That were feudal enough for they had naught else.~

they -> their

@360 = ~You are even worse at making compliments than this pirate Lord I met once. “Safana”, he would say, “your breasts are just like bloody sails full of wind...” But go on, what else did you discovered about me? Mayhap there is a pearl in this pile of fish guts.~

did you discovered -> did you discover / have you discovered

@390 = ~Lie? Waela rivvil, I have seen the likes of you crawl on their bellies, kissing the dust under Matron DeVir’s feet asking to end their suffering. Their pale hides were torn, and the entrails were drugging after them, as they asked for death.~

the entrails -> their entrails

@748 = ~I want to protect you. I would give anything to place you beyond the marble walls of Evereska, or green depths of Suldanesselar, though even these will eventually crumble. But neither queen Ellesime nor the Hill Council would allow a Bhaalspawn to enter their realms. You are doomed to remain a wanderer, much as you are today. *sigh* Well, that gives me a perfect opportunity to shield you with my body... or some such. Lead on, <CHARNAME>, I do not doubt an occasion will present itself.~

or green depths -> or the green depths

@6 = ~Well, one of those days, Xan, you should explain me how David did it.~

those -> these

@112 = ~You see, Xan, it's all sorted itself out. We cannot impose our moral values onto a man from Calimshan. He abides by different laws, and he did not breach them. Why, I am sure he even has proper papers! Even if he did, Xan... it is not us who should deal out punishment to him. We can file a complaint next time we pass through Baldur’s Gate. They are surely *much* better equipped then us to deal with these... one... three... five... six heavily armed ferocious fighters.~

@130 = ~Xan... We cannot impose our moral values onto a man from Calimshan. He abides by different laws, and he did not breach them. Why, I am sure he even has proper papers! Even if he did, Xan... it is not us who should deal out punishment to him. We can file a complaint next time we pass through Baldur’s Gate. They are surely *much* better equipped then us to deal with these... one... three... six... nine heavily armed ferocious fighters and accomplished spellcasters.~

it is not us who -> it is not we who

heavily armed ferocious -> heavily armed, ferocious

@5 = ~Truly? Xzar has been more discrete that I had dared imagine. I am the Master of the Zhentarim upon the Sword Coast.~

discrete -> discreet

@131 = ~Hear ye! Hear ye! The mad cleric of Cyric defiles nature! He turned living in the walking corpses and lives with them as they are his family! Fear him!~

He turned living in the walking corpses and lives with them as they are his family! -> He has turned the living into walking corpses and lives with them as if they are his family!

@139 = ~Fool! You are more mad even that Carsa! Death will fit you well! KAHRK!~

more mad -> madder

@32 = ~Well, a mithril ring would serve. Costs three... uh... four hundred to enchant it to contain the essence. With that and your... uh... component, I could create a ring that'd let you shrug off charms, for certain. Maybe even let you throw one back, if I'm undisturbed for the five days labor needed. Let's see... the scroll, my time, it'd cost nine... a thousand gold, altogether. What do you say?~

five days labor -> five days of labor

@39 = ~No way. It's nowhere near worth, it and we've got better stuff already.~

worth, it and -> worth it, and

Also, you were right about this:

Are you sure? I thought it stood for "that is" or "that has".

But I'm pretty sure the sentence in question still works with "that is", so you wouldn't need to correct it to "that was".

Whoops! Forgot one:

@56 = ~Saesa omentien lle, Drizzt Do'Urden. Pleasure meeting you... I heard the talk of you among my kin, and I am glad that we met. I am Kivan of Shilmista. I have never expected to find a noble soul in one of your kin. I serve Shevarash, yet I would not blaspheme my faith by shaking hands with you, Drizzt Do’Urden. The true blood of Ilythiry runs strong in you, uncorrupted by Lolth's treachery. Even after 5000 years, the goodness still nests in the darkness.~

I heard the talk -> I have heard talk

I have never expected -> I never expected

the goodness -> goodness

@41 = ~<CHARNAME>, the man offers lies and deceipt in exchange for our good name. Do not humor him. Good deeds are their own rewards, as you know well. Come, let us seek after our fame the honorable way, by serving justice and righteousness.~

seek after our fame -> seek our fame

@226 = ~Oh, in Rashemen they often have bears dance at the fair... Boo says it's no different, but I'd rather dance then be in a cage. If I see one, I am going to make them to free it in any

case!~

make them to free it -> make them free it

@246 = ~Ah, nothing can be as important than returning a smile on your face. Rashemi girls know how to rekindle the warrior's spirit in a man's heart! Besides brewing the best spirit-~

returning a smile on your face -> returning a smile to your face

@105 = ~There still be a few interestin’ places left in Balgur's Gate. The Low Lantern is a cozy bordello disguised as a boat. Seek me out there. Yer won't be sorry.~

@107 = ~There still be a few interestin’ places in Balgur's Gate. The Low Lantern is a cozy bordello disguised as a boat. Seek us out there. Yer won't be sorry.~

Yer won't be sorry -> Ye won't be sorry

@51 = ~A drow will never bend, save to a Matron Mother, and a drow female will never break. My House exiled me, but that does not matter I stopped being one of them.~

matter I -> matter, as I

@1275 = ~When asked about her past DYNAHEIR has very little to say. She is apparently from the far-eastern nation of Rashemen, and has come to the west with a bodyguard known as Minsc. Minsc is on his 'dejemma,' a rite of passage, and it appears that she may be involved in something similar. Of this, she will only state that great things are foretold for the Sword Coast. She seems very sure of herself, is possessed with an old-world sensibility, and is very demanding of her companions. She has expressed concerns about the sanity of her bodyguard, though she has an obvious respect for him and will not go far from his side.~ [X#BLANK]

the west -> the West

@1380 = ~If thou regret talking of this thing to me, than 'twas a mistake.~

thou regret -> thou regret'st

@2241 = ~When asked about his past, MINSC proudly announces that he is a berserker warrior from the nation of Rashemen in the utter east. He is currently undertaking his dejemma, a ritual journey to manhood, and is seeking adventure and glory in battle. It is also his honor to be the bodyguard of a young Wychalarn of Rashemen named Dynaheir, and if anyone tries to harm her he will beat sense into their heads until they reconsider. He is unsure as to why she has led them to the Sword Coast, but his loyalty is unquestioning. If he serves her well and distinguishes himself in battle he hopes to be accepted into the Ice Dragon berserker lodge upon return to their homeland. So far Minsc considers his most notable experience in the world abroad to be the acquisition of his animal companion 'Boo,' a creature that he claims is a miniature giant space hamster. Apparently such things do exist in the Realms, but Minsc has surely taken too many blows to the head. He seems a good-natured fellow, but is all too willing to indulge his berserker nature.~ [DUMMYSND]

Wychalarn -> Wychlaran

in battle he hopes -> in battle, he hopes

upon return -> upon their return

a creature that he claims is -> a creature which he claims to be

@2424 = ~Indeed, just listen to my wisdom and instruction, and you will win a great deal of knowledge. I am a priest of Baervar Cloakshadow, and a great mage besides. I, ah... mastered sorcery so quickly that the narrow-minded commoners in my village made me leave as soon as I had come of age. They could not tolerate a youngster teaching them how to do things properly, you see...~

you will win -> you will gain

in my village -> of my village

@2579 = ~*His embrace is warm, and it is strangely familiar to feel another elven body, so slight and alike your own, against yours. As Xan presses you more tightly, stroking your shoulders and whispering comforting words in your ear, you sense a new emotion - the call of your elven blood, of the heritage that lay hidden for so long. Its pull is exhilarating and troubling in the same time, for you were raised by human and among humans, and yet is somehow comforting. As you slip from under Xan's palms, you cannot help but feel you have just paid a short visit to the mysterious home of your own people, whose blood flows freely in your veins - Tel'Quessir.*~

that lay hidden -> that has lain hidden

by human -> by a human

Tel'Quessir -> the Tel'Quessir

@2584 = ~I would be more careful if I were you - your human friend, Ajantis, casts dark glances in your direction even now. It is best if you make you choices fast, <CHARNAME>.~

you choices -> your choice

@2755 = ~*Soon, however, you are able to proceed with you task. From the moment your fingertips come to rest on his shoulders, he stands absolutely still, neither moving nor breathing, and the only result you may feel is the increasing heat of his skin.*~

you may feel -> you feel

@3064 = ~Aye, it grieves me t' see the mines come t' ruin. Me kin is all dead now, but once, <PRO_GIRLBOY>, the Cloakwood Mine of Orothiars was a fare settlement. I meself were an apprentice smith till my seventieth year. Aye... we fought wyverns that even then nested in Cloakwood, and me valour were noticed by old Torgrim, priest of Alaghor. He took me in as an acolyte, and since I taught Calggedin's word eve' since and took over Torgrim's duties on his passing.~

Cloakwood Mine of Orothiars -> Cloakwood Mine of the Orothiars

fare -> fair

since I taught Calggedin's word eve' since -> I've taught Clangeddin's word e'er since

@3169 = ~What knowledge would you like from me? I could tell you about the beautiful forests of Tehir, or the many gorgeous damsels that have fallen for my charms. I have studied up on the wyverns that prey upon the area. They have wicked barbs upon their tails, which they use to poison their victims. They are cruel beasts that enjoy inflicting suffering upon their prey. I really have not much more to say.~

studied up on -> read up on / studied

@3177 = ~*You notice that Coran's gaze wonders from the dark sky towards you, and his sharp features become pensive. What is it that he saw that made him to do so? Or does your imagination play tricks on you?*~

that made him to do so -> that caused this

@3238 = ~A woman's sigh is a precious thing, that should not be wasted. *kisses you lightly on her lips* Now, it is preserved. ~

thing, that should not -> thing that should not

kisses you lightly on her lips -> kisses you lightly on the lips

@3388 = ~There was as wizard once, who kept locking himself out of his own magical tower. One day he came back and found the doors open and a gnomish thief going through his belongings. He immediately cast a spell that held the poor sod in place. Faced with the prospect of losing his hand for thievery, the rogue agreed to serve the wizard for five years. So, the mage petrified him and set on his front lawn, and from time to time when he forgot his keys, he unpetrified the rogue to let him in the tower. They still argue how to count the five-year term of service, for the wizard insists on counting only the time when the rogue picks the locks, and the thief says that he works the rest of the time as a garden gnome.~

let him in the tower -> let him into the tower

@3517 = ~My magic is the result of long, through and careful studying, a feat that few are able to accomplish. (Judging by <HISHER> appearance, <HESHE> never had a book in <HISHER> hands, let alone a spellbook.)~

studying -> study

@3940 = ~I belong to a noble family of Ilvastarr of Waterdeep. I joined the Order of the Radiant Heart as a squire and studied my swordsmanship under Mrymith Splendon himself! I am now on the road to fight battles with evil and quench this land of foul creatures we may cross. I hope that this way I may prove to the Order that I am deserving of becoming a full-fledged member!~

a noble family of Ilvastarr of Waterdeep -> a noble family, the Ilvastarrs of Waterdeep

quench -> cleanse

of foul creatures we may cross -> of any foul creatures we may come across

Archived