Typos in BG1 NPC v20

hook71

From the Silvershield Fibula description:

You picked up this broach from a bandit you killed near Beregost. It is a beautiful enameled fibula with a sigil of one of the Dukes of Baldur's Gate - Entar Silvershield. The same symbol is also embroidered on the breast of a dead youth's coat. Unfortunately you came upon the bandits too late to save the boy from the bandits. He is too young to be a Duke, but you have heard that Entar Silvershield had a son of about your own age, called Eddard Silvershield. Perhaps you should return this pin to Silvershields.

First sentence seems a bit redundant. I'd change it to 'the bandits too late to save the boy from them'. Also, since Eddard is dead, I'd suggest changing the second part to something like: 'he was too young to have been a duke'.

Finally, adding a 'the' before 'Silvershields' sounds better.

Post #2 is integrated - https://github.com/c...76346b6e41a4a9a

I am revisiting Kulyok's documentation on American vs English choice in BG1NPC. Color, armor, traveling all show up in the mod, and in spite of several passes over the years by dedicated people, the project contains both variants for most of these. Then again, so does the vanilla game...

EDIT: ....aaaaaaand - the folks agreed to disagree. In other words, Domi, Jastey, and Kulyok (the active primaries at the time reviewed and approved handling rules for most things but did not resolve UK/US usage (probably because it is an ongoing, cyclical discussion with no real answer, since the original game used both sets of spellings). In 2006 or so I decided to leave things alone and accept both US/UK spellings since there was no clear solution, and the intent of the proofreading was to fix typos, not change characterization, character voice, or author intent unless it was a clear problem. Hard to do on some characters, where accent or speech pattern plays a role (Dynaheir especially).

hook71, Nilfalasiel,

you folks did a huge rundown on this, and made my updating a matter of putting a post next to a NotePad++ screen and doing text searches to repair stuff - if you two have input as to UK vs US on these, please let me know. If you disagree with each other, we will know the linguistic world order debate rages on even unto the end of days :D

Nice that BG1 NPC is getting updated and that I could play a small part! This was certainly the biggest typo hunt I have made to date. Might look like I found a lot but the mod is really huge... I don't really have a strong opinion on UK/US spelling. I'm from Sweden so I try to stay out of that discussion. I only reported a few small UK/US issues above when it was inconsistent in the same dialogue.

OK, sure thing. I'll take a pass at the files for the usual suspects as I work through the next post this morning:

color

armor

travelling

amerycun

hawt dawg

NSFW

LOL

and of course The Northern States (aka "Canada") :)

(note: Humor: Internet, for the use of. The typing seen on your screen is not representative of its author, the project, or reality. In fact, it is a figment of your imagination, and does not really exist, except in the Platonian sense, a shadowy reflection of a universal truth which can only be known through rational study and logic. And on that note, i am off to get cup of coffee, because I am obviously still asleep.)

Post #4 integrated and up on GitHub https://github.com/cmorganbg/BG1NPC/commit/aac4067abd273a8cb9cbce61313287e703c8ada8

with the following changes:

they're either useless fools -> it's useless fools

correct when taken in context with the continued dialog in-game; leaving original text.

@376 = ~Looks like the old man gets his final rest now. But why would not they let me take a finger or toe for a... memento?~

your corrections are correct, but it is characteristic of his "voice" to be a little bent... (hint - the line isn't Imoen's :) )

Typo in x#lp1rep.tra (not cross-checked with other typo reports):

@112 = ~A little would suffice~ missing the dot.

x#lp2rep.tra

@10 = ~Yes, will hear you out.~ Could use an "I".

@131 = ~Challenging, but I am up to the task. Indeed, I can state with certainty that you have come to the right place.For a <MANWOMAN> of your reputation, that would take 2000 gold pieces.~

Misses a space:"place.For". -> this is on several occasions in the file.

Archived