How to use "Ring of Air Control (Ring28)" in a script?

orbit

I know how to use an item with useitem(), however it doesnt work with the "Ring Of Air Control"

For example:

IF
 Global("BackStab","LOCALS",1)
 See([EVILCUTOFF])
 HasItemEquiped("Ring28",Myself)
 Global("UsedRing28","LOCALS",0)
 !StateCheck(Myself,STATE_INVISIBLE)
 CheckStatGT(Myself,1,BACKSTABDAMAGEMULTIPLIER)
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
UseItem("Ring28",Myself)
SetGlobal("UsedRing28","LOCALS",1)
END

This doesn't work, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks - according to that post it should look like this:

IF
 See([EVILCUTOFF])
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
	UseItemSlot(Myself,RING_LEFT) // Or "RING_RIGHT" or the itemslot number
END

However, this only activates the first ability on the ring, which in this case is not invisibility. I guess there is no solution for this.

Another thing I'd like to know: UseItem() works with equipment, but not with weapons, does anyone know why?

How can I activate a spell on a weapon through scripting?

Instead of UseItemSlot(Myself,RING_LEFT), try UseItemSlot(Myself,RING_LEFT,1). Make sure your action.ids file contains this line: 34 UseItemSlotAbility(O:Target*, I:Slot*, I:AbilityNum*). Disclaimer: I haven't tested this personally.

UseItem() works with equipment, but not with weapons, does anyone know why? How can I activate a spell on a weapon through scripting?

Probably the same reason as for this ring - the first ability on these items is their melee or ranged attack, not their activated ability.

I would move SetGobal in front of UseItem.

Is this important? What's the difference?

Instead of UseItemSlot(Myself,RING_LEFT), try UseItemSlot(Myself,RING_LEFT,1). Make sure your action.ids file contains this line: 34 UseItemSlotAbility(O:Target*, I:Slot*, I:AbilityNum*). Disclaimer: I haven't tested this personally.

Does that mean I'd have to edit the Action.ids file? I'd like my script to work without any additional editing. Huh, why was this not in Action.ids in the first place? I can't imagine that I could just add custom actions to this file?

Does that mean I'd have to edit the Action.ids file?

Yes.

I'd like my script to work without any additional editing.

That doesn't seem possible.

Huh, why was this not in Action.ids in the first place? I can't imagine that I could just add custom actions to this file?

This IDS file is there to make life simpler for scripting. It doesn't define functionality; it acts as a reference when translating human-readable scripts into BCS and DLG files, in which most everything is referenced by number. Adding that line to action.ids allows you to compile scripts that use the action, translating it to the internally-known "34". Whether or not "34" behaves as you'd expect when given these 3 parameters is anyone's guess (though Razfallow seemed to have tested this one).

Yes, the used ability is always the second int parameter. If an item is not designated by slot number, leave the slot number at 0.

Actions:

34 UseItemSlotAbility(O:Target*, I:Slot*, I:AbilityNum*)

34 UseItemRESSlotAbility(S:ResRef*, O:Target*, I:Dummy*, I:AbilityNum*)

SetGlobal interrupts actions, even hiding, detecting traps, singing etc. That's why it's always best to start with it in my opinion. It might just interrupt your next actions in queue.

If all else fails, you could try to force the spell, and maybe add a delay/wait:

IF
 See([EVILCUTOFF])
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
	//UseItem("Ring28",Myself)
	ForceSpell(Myself,WIZARD_IMPROVED_INVISIBILITY)		
END

Archived