best mods and install order for a no-reload game?

ygramul

So, what is the current "best" BG2 game experience for a no-reload adventure (BGTUTU to BG2 to TOB)?

I was thinking the following mods (not counting patches & tutu):

tweaks

fixpack

spell revisions

SCS

(avoiding Ascension etc. for a no-reload game)

Is this sensible? Is this the correct install order?

*** important question:

- Once I screwed it all up with antimagic (spell thrust etc.) NOT targeting improved invisible enemies. How do I avoid it? By not selecting that option in SCSII and trusting SR to do it?

What do YOU do?

Thanks!

Ygramul

So, what is the current "best" BG2 game experience for a no-reload adventure (BGTUTU to BG2 to TOB)?
Why not use the BGT-weidu ? Cause then you'll have all the same rules and everything else in one game, and there's not even need to export & import the chars, as the game takes you from the Swordcoast to Amn & ToB on it's own.

Here's my order:

BGII Fixpack

BGT

BGII tweaks & BGT Tweaks

Spell Revisions

SCS & SCSII

*** important question:

- Once I screwed it all up with antimagic (spell thrust etc.) NOT targeting improved invisible enemies. How do I avoid it? By not selecting that option in SCSI&SCSII and trusting SR to do it?

You install ONE component from either of the mods, but not both.
running in wineskin on Mac
Well, don't know for Mac, but the PC one is easy for example:

Install the BG2 & ToB, install the v(2.5.)26498 patch, to the "BGII - SoA" folder in "Games" -folder on the C drive...

Install the BG1 & TotSC, and the v(1.3.)5512 patch, to "Baldur's Gate" folder, in the "Games" -folder on the C drive...

Install the BGII fixpack to the C:\Games\BGII - SoA\ -folder... then install the BGT to the same folder, when it asks, give the BG1 folder ... "C:\Games\Baldur's Gate\" ... without the quotes... and then install all the rest of the mods there...

running in wineskin on Mac
Well, don't know for Mac, but the PC one is easy for example:

Install the BG2 & ToB, install the v(2.5.)26498 patch, to the "BGII - SoA" folder in "Games" -folder on the C drive...

Install the BG1 & TotSC, and the v(1.3.)5512 patch, to "Baldur's Gate" folder, in the "Games" -folder on the C drive...

Install the BGII fixpack to the C:\Games\BGII - SoA\ -folder... then install the BGT to the same folder, when it asks, give the BG1 folder ... "C:\Games\Baldur's Gate\" ... without the quotes... and then install all the rest of the mods there...

Thanks,

Where do the modes like SR & SCSII & fixpack etc. go? After the BGT, I presume? Any conflicts to beware?

Where do the modes like SR & SCSII & fixpack etc. go? After the BGT, I presume?
Here's my order:

BGII Fixpack

BGT

BGII tweaks

BGT Tweaks

Spell Revisions

SCSI

SCSII

Edited for clarity...

Yeah all these mods to BG2 game directory.

The fixpack needs to be before the BGT... and the BG2Tweakpack has the faster dialog for chapters I & II, that you need to avoid, there's no other conflicts... other than the mentioned SCS & SRev's invisibility thing, that you need to install one, or the other but not both.

There's nothing wrong with BGT-WEIDU, but personally I mildly prefer using TUTU and BG2 separately, because

(a) it's stabler to have fewer mods (SCSII isn't needed in BG1, so why bother having it present)

(b) to me the games have a somewhat different flavour that makes merging them a bit jarring (GUI etc)

© I'm lukewarm about the way the transition is implemented.

Well, it's a preference question... and I hope that you DavidW, nor ygamul hate me because I take this opportunity to...

(a) it's stabler to have fewer mods (SCSII isn't needed in BG1...
That's a lie... a small one. I understand what you are trying to say, yes. But there are exceptions, for example your own SCSII mod needed the BG2Fixpack in the previous years just to install.

These exceptions bring the need for what's called stable cores as source of base for the further installations. The BGT's today, well they are more tested as there are more and more mods brought to be compatible with it as a result of the BWP/BWS. EasyTutu, Last Update: August, 2010 ... BWS, Last Update: September 2012+ further unseen updates ~each week. Yeah, each week update, you could argue it's not actually that stable, but it's base is...

(b) to me the games have a somewhat different flavour that makes merging them a bit jarring (GUI etc)
Yeah, but that's why there's mods for changing the GUI etc.

Well, this is indeed a tyranny, but still you are free to speak (as a rebel) if you have a better way to implement the transition, of course you are then needed to submit to the opposition and actually play the BG1 -> BG2 transition in the BGT.

av-2129.png

But to the point, if your idea is good enough, I am sure we can find away to overthrow the current king and make you the king(that's being overthrown next, as in include and perhaps replace the current one with a new).

Well, it's a preference question... and I hope that you DavidW, nor ygamul hate me because I take this opportunity to...

(a) it's stabler to have fewer mods (SCSII isn't needed in BG1...
That's a lie... a small one. I understand what you are trying to say, yes. But there are exceptions, for example your own SCSII mod needed the BG2Fixpack in the previous years just to install.

These exceptions bring the need for what's called stable cores as source of base for the further installations. The BGT's today, well they are more tested as there are more and more mods brought to be compatible with it as a result of the BWP/BWS. EasyTutu, Last Update: August, 2010 ... BWS, Last Update: September 2012+ further unseen updates ~each week. Yeah, each week update, you could argue it's not actually that stable, but it's base is...

This is nonsense. If it was polite nonsense I might take the time to disentangle it.

Yeah, but that's why there's mods for changing the GUI etc.

There are not mods to change the GUI when you transition from BG1 to BG2 within BGT.

Well, this is indeed a tyranny, but still you are free to speak (as a rebel) if you have a better way to implement the transition, of course you are then needed to submit to the opposition and actually play the BG1 -> BG2 transition in the BGT.

Being lukewarm about the existing transition doesn't in any way require me to come up with a better one, since the context is that I'd rather not have a transition at all.

Archived