IWD UFB: Nym disappears

facorreia

[spoiler ALERT]

I hope this is a good place to report a bug / inconsistency. Running Icewind Dale, GoG version with extensions, with Unfinished Business v6:

In Gnome Village, if I follow the chat sequence with Nym until I get to the line where I accuse him of causing the war between dwarves and elves, he casts Dimension Door and disappears. I've searched for him in the whole area and he was nowhere.

On the other hand, if I directly attack him, without speaking, he will also cast Dimension Door but will reappear in the ring of stones near Beorn and Guello, where I can finish him off.

It seems odd that the same escape move (dimension door) will have two very different outcomes. This essentially makes him unkillable if I follow the chat sequence.

WeiDU.log:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods

// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod

// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]

~WIDESCREEN/WIDESCREEN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Widescreen Mod -> for the original Infinity Engine (CHOOSE THIS!): Widescreen Mod v3.02

~UB_IWD/SETUP-UB_IWD.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Voice of Durdel Anatha: v6

~UB_IWD/SETUP-UB_IWD.TP2~ #0 #100 // Malavon's Golems: v6

~UB_IWD/SETUP-UB_IWD.TP2~ #0 #200 // Expanded Guello/Beorn Quest: v6

~UB_IWD/SETUP-UB_IWD.TP2~ #0 #300 // Marketh's Ring: v6

~UB_IWD/SETUP-UB_IWD.TP2~ #0 #400 // Presio's Duel: v6

~UB_IWD/SETUP-UB_IWD.TP2~ #0 #500 // Orrick's Rhino Beetle Shield: v6

~UB_IWD/SETUP-UB_IWD.TP2~ #0 #1500 // Minor Item Restorations: v6

// Recently Uninstalled: ~IWDFIXPACK/SETUP-IWDFIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // Assorted Fixes: v4

// Recently Uninstalled: ~IWDFIXPACK/SETUP-IWDFIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Game Text Update: v4

~IWDFIXPACK/SETUP-IWDFIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // Assorted Fixes: v4

~IWDFIXPACK/SETUP-IWDFIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Game Text Update: v4

~SETUP-IWD1-EASE-1D1.TP2~ #0 #0 // Higher stacks for normal missiles in stores

~SETUP-IWD1-EASE-1D1.TP2~ #0 #1 // Ammo belts

~SETUP-IWD1-EASE-1D1.TP2~ #0 #2 // Ammo belt available in Conlan's smithy (Kuldahar)

~SETUP-IWD1-EASE-1D1.TP2~ #0 #3 // Ammo belt available in Edion's store (burial isle)

~SETUP-IWD1-EASE-1D1.TP2~ #0 #4 // Ammo belt available in Emmerich's archery (Lonelywood)

~SETUP-IWD1-EASE-1D1.TP2~ #0 #5 // Ammo belt available in Pomab's store (Easthaven)

~SETUP-IWD1-EASE-1D1.TP2~ #0 #6 // Ammo belt available in Lehland's shop (Severed Hand)

~SETUP-IWD1-EASE-1D1.TP2~ #0 #7 // Ammo belt available in Tiernon's forge (Gloomfrost)

~SETUP-IWD1-EASE-1D1.TP2~ #0 #8 // Improved bags of holding

~SETUP-IWD1-EASE-1D1.TP2~ #0 #9 // New bag of holding in Gerth's shop (Kuldahar)

~SETUP-IWD1-EASE-1D1.TP2~ #0 #10 // New bag of holding in Waukeen's temple (Lonelywood)

~SETUP-IWD1-EASE-1D1.TP2~ #0 #11 // Bottomless gem, potion and scroll bags

~SETUP-IWD1-EASE-1D1.TP2~ #0 #12 // Higher (500 items) stacks for gems, missiles and potions

~SETUP-IWD1-EASE-1D1.TP2~ #0 #13 // Happy dual-classing

~SETUP-IWD1-EASE-1D1.TP2~ #0 #14 // Improved spell learning for bards and mages

I'll have to check this in the game, but it seems like he should be disappearing under all circumstances. In his script is this goodie:

IF
 !BitGlobal(":CREATURE_STATE_VAR","LOCALS",512,AND)
 Allegiance(Myself,ENEMY)
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
BitGlobal(":CREATURE_STATE_VAR","LOCALS",512,OR)
ForceSpellPoint([1540.480],WIZARD_DIMENSION_DOOR)
Wait(5)
DestroySelf()
END

It's possible something could interrupt him during the wait(5) so he's not actually disappearing, but it's pretty clear he's supposed to go away if you attack him (whether started via dialogue or not). He has no other scripted behavior (attack, spells, etc.) if he goes hostile.

I'll have to check this in the game, but it seems like he should be disappearing under all circumstances. (...)

It's possible something could interrupt him during the wait(5) so he's not actually disappearing, but it's pretty clear he's supposed to go away if you attack him (whether started via dialogue or not). He has no other scripted behavior (attack, spells, etc.) if he goes hostile.

Interesting. You're probably right, he didn't fight back. And his backstory of successful, mysterious thief would make more sense if he was somehow untoucheable.

Anyway, this guide [1] talks about killing him. Maybe that possibility itself was a bug.

[1] http://www.gamebansh...nomevillage.php

Archived