A request for evaluation of my Mod installation order

Lorfean

Hi,

So, it's that time of the year when the temperature drops below zero, the snow starts piling up outside my window, the days get shorter and the nights get longer, and I am finding myself wanting to play through the BG series again... I have spent the past few days obsessively researching and selecting mods I want to use in said playthrough and have now finalized my decision on which mods to use, and based my planned order of installation on the thread stickied at the top of these forums. I am pretty confident in my research, but seeing how that stickied thread was last updated two years ago and (more importantly) doesn't cover all the mods I selected, I would very much appreciate it if some of you experts could take a look at my little plan and let me know if there is *anything* in there that could cause noticable (or even less immediately noticable) problems with either game?

Baldur’s Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast

1. Install Baldur’s Gate: The Original Saga (GOG.com)
  2. Install Baldur’s Gate II Complete (GOG.com)
  3. Install EasyTutu_ToB (USO)
  4. Install EasyTutu Degreenifier (USO)
  5. Install BG1Tutu Fixpack (PPG)
  6. Install ToBEx (SHS)
  7. Install Restored Textscreen Music – Core Installation Package with English Language Pack (SHS)
  8. Install BG1 Unfinished Business (PPG)
  9. Install BG2 Tweak Pack (G3)
  10. Install Sword Coast Stratagems (G3)
  11. Install Level 1 NPCs (G3)
  12. Install aTweaks (SHS)
  13. Install 1PP (SHS)
  14. Install Widescreen Mod (G3)
  15. Copy fonts to the override folder

Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal

1. Install Baldur’s Gate II Complete (GOG.com)
  2. Install BG2 Fixpack (G3)
  3. Install Ascension (WO)
  4. Install ToBEx (SHS)
  5. Install Unfinished Business (PPG)
  6. Install BG2 Tweak Pack (G3)
  7. Install Sword Coast Stratagems II (G3)
  8. Install aTweaks (SHS)
  9. Install 1PP (SHS)
  10. Install Widescreen Mod (G3)
  11. Copy fonts to the override folder

Thank you very much in advance :)

Traditionally this would be the recommended:

Baldur’s Gate II Complete

1. Install Ascension (WO)
  2. Install ToBEx (SHS)
  3. Install BG2 Fixpack (G3)
  4. Install Unfinished Business (PPG)
  5. Install 1PP (SHS)
  8. Install aTweaks (SHS)
  9. Install Widescreen Mod (G3)
  10. Copy fonts to the override folder
  11. Generalized Biffing.

But you could also install the BGT-weidu too combining the two games to one, via the BWS... and customize the components of it to remove all the unwanted mods you have never heard of.

Thanks for the replies :)

I am aware of BGT-WeiDU and tried it, but chose EasyTutu because of my own preferences / eccentricities. I prefer EasyTutu's spawn system, for example, even though BGT's is reportedly closer to how it worked in the original BG. I also like that Tutu doesn't rearrange the game's chapter structure (which is, admittedly, a very minor and on the surface mostly cosmetic change) and am generally simply not very interested in completely combining the two games. I can see the logic in doing this and admire the work on BGT, but I prefer to keep them separate.

Textscreen Music works with EasyTutu, grogerson -- and it's a good thing because Tutu, like BGT, doesn't / can't port these particular tracks correctly and they'll be missing unless this mod is used. I actually had to check the text file that comes with the mod because Tutu isn't mentioned on its download page, but the text file mentions both BG1Tutu and EasyTutu ;)

Jarno, would you mind expanding on your reply a bit as to why that would be the recommended order? In particular, I'm wondering about moving 1PP up as far as you did -- that mod is "high priority" for me, and I don't want anything to mess with it, which is why I put it as one of the last ones to install. Also, should I follow a similar order for my EasyTutu install, seeing how it uses many of the same mods?

Jarno, would you mind expanding on your reply a bit as to why that would be the recommended order? In particular, I'm wondering about moving 1PP up as far as you did -- that mod is "high priority" for me, and I don't want anything to mess with it, which is why I put it as one of the last ones to install. Also, should I follow a similar order for my EasyTutu install, seeing how it uses many of the same mods?
I raised the 1PP because if you want the Tweaks Packs tweaks take precedence, you install it later than any item introducing mods, the very latest version of 1PP being one of them. Of course this is a rather a matter of an opinion than a clear cut definition. So if you don't want it to have the chance to mess with it, like you said, you should then put it after the aTweaks.

The Ascension on the other hand, especially with the ToBEx and then Fixpack is definite, as it still the v1.4.1's translated cousin.

Thank you so much :) I think I will stick with placing 1PP after aTweaks then, and use your recommended order for the rest of the mods. So then I have my BG2 installation order locked down. Great!

Two final questions re. EasyTutu though -- where should I put Restored Textscreen Music in my EasyTutu installation order, and should I also use Generalized Biffing with my EasyTutu installation?

where should I put Restored Textscreen Music in my EasyTutu installation order
To my thinking, it should matter that much, as long as it's after the ToBEx... you might want to start a new game just to make sure after the Restored Text Music install is complete.

and should I also use Generalized Biffing with my EasyTutu installation?
Well, the Generalized biffing removes some of the possible lag the game has... and with musics and scripts of SCS & 1PP's exo files, you are likely to run into some that the GenBiff can help with to avoid, so yes. Also you if should run into the lag issue, you should look this list for other help.

By exo files mean that as the new files are not packaged into a .bif file, but to the override folder, they load slower than they would if they were Bif-fed, which is exactly what the Generalized Biffing mod does.

Thank you very much :)

Edit -- And just as a reference for anyone finding this threat while searching for a correct mod installation order for their own games -- here is my finalized order for the two separate installations:

Baldur’s Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast with EasyTutu

1. Install Baldur’s Gate: The Original Saga (GOG.com)
  2. Install Baldur’s Gate II Complete (GOG.com)
  3. Install EasyTutu_ToB (USO)
  4. Install EasyTutu Degreenifier (USO)
  5. Install BG1Tutu Fixpack (PPG)
  6. Install ToBEx (SHS)
  7. Install BG1 Unfinished Business (PPG)
  8. Install BG2 Tweak Pack (G3)
  9. Install Sword Coast Stratagems (G3)
  10. Install aTweaks (SHS)
  11. Install Level 1 NPCs (G3)
  12. Install 1PP (SHS)
  13. Install Restored Textscreen Music – Core Installation Package with English Language Pack (SHS)
  14. Install Widescreen Mod (G3)
  15. Copy custom fonts to the override folder
  16. Install Generalized Biffing (SHS)

Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal

1. Install Baldur’s Gate II Complete (GOG.com)
  2. Install Ascension (WO)
  3. Install ToBEx (SHS)
  4. Install BG2 Fixpack (G3)
  5. Install Unfinished Business (PPG)
  8. Install aTweaks (SHS)
  9. Install 1PP (SHS)
  10. Install Widescreen Mod (G3)
  11. Copy custom fonts to the override folder
  12. Install Generalized Biffing (SHS)

Archived