Cosmetic question

CarmenWoods

Hello!

With BGEE coming out, and me realizing I'd need to wait to play it until my favorite mods were updated (Divine Remix and the NPC Project, so much love), I decided to fire up BG2 and play it again for awhile.

Spent a little time looking mods I'd never used for BG2, and I found this, and it looks like tons of fun! But I just have one question - do you guys think you might ever release a version where the player can choose to remove the race/gender restrictions for the encounters? I like seeing the ways NPCs interact, and experiencing as much of a story as I can, without having to re-play the game with my PC a different sex, or being really restricted in the narrative by choosing to play a half-orc or dwarf. (Would this even be something that a user with no coding experience beyond a year of C++ twelve years ago in high school could sit down and try and figure out how to do?)

Either way, thank you guys for putting together so much fun content. This sort of thing is why the BG series has remained my favorite game of all.

Glad you're enjoying the mod, and welcome to G3! It is quite easy to figure this out, since restrictions usually look like Gender(Player,Male), although in some encounters you might need to search for these restrcitions for a bit. For story reasons, no, I don't think it's possible to remove them all, but, yes, you can learn a little bit of coding and remove all the restrictions yourself, **before** installing the mod. Good luck with that. Maybe you'll even start modding yourself, who knows? :)

So, it wasn't too tricky to modify the gender and race restrictions in the .D files (open in Notepad, edit, save), and after testing it with Mira in the Promenade (the furthest-along save game I have right now) it doesn't seem like I've broken anything. Hooray!

But it *does* seem as though there are dialogues somewhere else other than the unpacked files in the RE folder which I haven't been able to find. I'd like to try making them gender-neutral (nothing pulls me out of the narrative quicker than misgendered language, sadly), but I haven't been able to figure out where they're stashed. Do you have any pointers to help me along?

I was thinking they must be in the Override folder, my guess is in the .DLG files for the relevant NPCs? Found a WeiDU tutorial that I *think* is telling me I can convert .DLG files to .D files, where I imagine I'll search out the relevant lines, alter them, then reconvert the file. I'm curious whether I'm on the right track, or whether I'm just going to break my game through ignorance. XD

Archived