BGT and Store Revisions

koro

Now I completely understand Item Revisions isn't designed to work in BG1 (yet), but it works well enough in the BG1 portion of a BGT install that it gets the general idea across.

What I'm less sure of is Store Revisions. Last time I played BGT with Item Revisions (back in March/April or so), Store Revisions had a couple of wonky issues with stores in the BG1 portion of BGT, but nothing really too bad.

For my new BGT install, is it okay to disable Store Revisions for the BG1 portion of BGT and then re-enable it just before switching to the BG2 portion to avoid as much weirdness in the BG1 section as possible, or will switching it on mid-game not do anything?

Do you by any chance happen to be Korodullin on Penny Arcade forums? If so, then I remember your post. Although I'm vague on details, I'm 100% positive that the investigation had revealed none of the issues attributed to the Store Revisions component were caused by it. IIRC those were either vanilla designs or additions by some mod.

If you are not, and the issues mentioned are different from what I assume, then installing right before the BG1 final battle should have no impact on BG2 portion of the game.

Yeah, I am the same person. I don't remember exactly what all happened with the stores, but I do know most of it was fixed with the store corruption fix from some months back.

But by "no impact on BG2", do you mean that the Store Revisions changes won't go into effect, or do you mean that there won't be any problems caused by doing so?

Edit: After some thinking and asking others, I figure that Store Revisions works along the same kind of technical lines as an item randomizer and needs to be present when a new game's loaded, so I'll turn it on.

Thanks for the help!

But by "no impact on BG2", do you mean that the Store Revisions changes won't go into effect, or do you mean that there won't be any problems caused by doing so?
Yeap, yeap yeap... next time learn not to use contridictory statements in the same sentence, especially with an the word_"or"_and_a_question_mark_at_the_end. This lessens the chance of being misunderstood. So make two sentences. Or you could make just one ... In reference of "yes" / "no" answer questions. Try to answer this question with those: Am I not screwed or what ?

Anyways, yeah, the "no impact on BG2", refers to the intergrity of the games working. As in, if you install the Store Revision mod later-, like say just before killing Sarevok, the old shops you have visited will not change, but the new shops you have not visited will. Well that, and the fact that the shop needs to be in a new area like all the BG2 areas are before you go to and kill BG1 Sarevok and transfer to the BG2 areas, if you don't use the console to go there first. -while not producing any game crashing bugs either. And if you start completelly new game, all the shops are effected.

I'd be more apt to criticize Ardanis' phrasing here than koro's, but you are the expert on being misunderstood, Jarno.

I believe your interpretation is correct; installing this component before the transition to Amn will achieve the desired result.

Yeah, I am the same person.
Hi and welcome then! :)

As you guys have already figured out, I was indeed implying that installing this component before the transition will result in almost the same behavior as if it were installed before starting in Candlekeep. Only re-arranging items in shops (by type, price and name) is global, i.e. affects all existing stores, and it is purely a cosmetic tweak. The actual changes to items' placements are all done manually, and affect only the SoA+ToB portion of the game.

but I do know most of it was fixed with the store corruption fix from some months back.
I'm pretty sure the corruption occurred only for BG2 stores. That code is being used as a part of manual modification, and doesn't belong to the all-included re-arrangement. I guess I'll check old versions then.

Archived