BG1 - Game crashes when trying to enter candlekeep map area

smakibbfb

I'm having trouble with my BG1 game. This is on my first ever playthrough. I'm just at the point where I've raided the iron throne building and have to talk to duke eltan, after which he sends me off to candlekeep with a book. Now, my problem is that I can't access candlekeep at all - whenever I try to travel to that map area the game crashes in a weird way.

I have been there before at this point in the game. Previously I was sent there without realising what was happening, and it worked fine, but I then reloaded a previous save, because I was intending to do the ToSC stuff before that.

Since I have completed the ToSC missions I'm getting this crash, and it's affecting all my saves - I also cannot go to candlekeep with much earlier saves.

I have been using the widescreen mod, and previously had trouble with some buildings (such as jovial juggler, or helm and cloak) but I could usually access these by either reinstalling the mod with a different resolution, or uninstalling it all together. Neither of these methods work to get me in to Candlekeep however.

The crash i'm experiencing is not a normal crash to desktop with an error message. The game screen freezes and goes black, and shrinks to a chunk of my screen the same size as the games resolution.

Any help would me much appreciated. I was really enjoying this game!

Well, usually it's inadvisable to uninstall a mod like the Widescreen mod in the middle of a game(as in you intent to use the old saves to continue) because it can change things you do not intent to ... so if you like to, please enlighten us on what you did... as I for sure can't imagine a better reason for why the game crashes. Other than if the widescreen mods version is one of the outdated ones that caused something, but it's been years(since v2.5 ... hmm). As the current one is v3.05, although it says in the Weidu.log to be the v3.02 ...

Also in case you want to restart the game, you might be interested to know that there's a Graphical User Interface update mod for BG1 that you might like, as it centers the game view ... it of course restricts you to use a set of standard view sizes, which need to be set in the Widescreen mod first before installing the mod itself. Ouh, and it's a "beta", but only because the author says it is, as far as I am concerned.

I had no idea it was a bad idea to uninstall/reinstall the mod mid game. At the resolution I had it installed at I could not access places like the jovial juggler and helm and cloak - the only fix I could find that would allow me to access these places was changing the mod setup. I am using v3.05 of the widescreen mod. I don't think I'll restart the game - it's a bit long for that.

To allow me access to candlekeep:

I uninstalled WS mod, then started looking around for where the save files store the area data. The area data is stored in the temp folder AFTER you load a game. I started a new game and immediately left candlekeep and saved it. Then I took the AR2626 file, which corresponds to the CK map area, and made a copy of it. Then I loaded up my broken game, and replaced the AR2626 file that was now in the temp folder with the copy I made earlier. Then I was allowed to WALK to candlekeep.

Unfortunately, I then found out that interiors were broken (ie flaming fist HQ so no talking to eltan - also tested Friendly arm in, which had never broken before, and that was broken too). The last time I had successfully entered an interior was with WS installed, so I reinstalled it at 1920x1080. Now I can access interiors again, and luckily, my new AR2626 survived the transition, and duke eltan was able to send me to candlekeep.

All went smoothly until just after I defeated the basilisks in the CK catacombs - walking south out of that chamber caused a crash. Got through that by reinstalling WS at a lower res (1440x900). Exiting that area now breaks the game. Immediately after the autosave, i get the message:

'An assertion failed in D:\dev\Baldur\CVisibility.cpp at line 1484'

I've tried horsing around with the WS mod to get through it, but no use. It's a confusing error for me, because as far as I'm concerned that file path doesn't exist. Any help with that would be very much appreciated.

Dunno what happened there.

I looked up where you're supposed to come out of the caves. The same trick worked with the same map, despite the different error message! I'm not sure of the effects of what I've done will be though - the only good CK map I have is the same one I loaded before I went in to CK, so some stuff may be reset.

Anyone know how the gatewarden is supposed to react after you exit the caves? He's just saying to me the old "sorry, no book no entry" spiel.

It's put me into chapter 7 either way, so I guess as long as i never have to come back here it will be ok.

(Why am smakibbfb2 now: I made a mistake when signing up (mistyped my email address), and tried to contact the webmaster, but I can't get emails through. I hadn't noticed it still had me signed as as smakibbfb.

Archived