Am I the only one who checks here frequently?

Coding already-written dialogue in the Electron Engine is dead easy. If you work with builders, you probably hear horror stories about the scripts and talk triggers, but modding the OC doesn't work that way. Adding new triggers to an existing area isn't feasible (we aren't allowed to redistribute areas), so we have to cue mod conversations from already-existing dialogues. It's very limiting in the sense that we can't just put dialogues in anywhere we please, but the limitations define the scope of the mod. In other words, it's a necessary evil.

Madwolf, what berelinde means, is that the makers of NWN2 don't allow modders to re-release the areas in the game, so she can't put "triggers" (the thing that causes a conversation to start) just anywhere. Instead conversations have to 'piggyback' on other conversations that are already in game.

Coding already-written dialogue in the Electron Engine is dead easy. If you work with builders, you probably hear horror stories about the scripts and talk triggers, but modding the OC doesn't work that way. Adding new triggers to an existing area isn't feasible (we aren't allowed to redistribute areas), so we have to cue mod conversations from already-existing dialogues. It's very limiting in the sense that we can't just put dialogues in anywhere we please, but the limitations define the scope of the mod. In other words, it's a necessary evil.

I'm also posting this info here, even though I posted in another thread, for the benefit of anyone who may read one but not the other -- you don't need to distribute the area to insert new "triggers" to initiate conversations. I know several methods for inserting such things into existing NWN2 areas, even in areas where the player has already been, using scripts, and will gladly explain or demonstrate to anyone interested. Virtually everything in an existing NWN2 game can be modded and manipulated by script, including placed instances of NPCs and placeables.

Archived