Mod-Package for Linux: How?

jastey

Until now, my Linux mod versions were the mod folder only, without any weidu in it. Now I see a Linux Weidu version on the weidu-homepage, and I wonder: Is there a newer, better, more comfortable way of packing Linux versions? If yes, what should I inlude?

Bundling weidu for 64-bit can't hurt, since some people will have trouble installing it properly. (And no, it doesn't have to be installed to a system path.) With included weidu that would make the mod self-contained.

If the instructions mention tolower, make sure the user doesn't need to rerun it due to your mod. This means all the filenames and

references to them need to be in consistent case. I guess the mods could check themselves if a tolower is needed with a helper shell script. With bundled weidu the whole ordeal could then be converted to a note in the instructions.

Alternatively someone could of course change weidu to not care about filesystem case that much, but this would of course come with a speed penalty.

Yes, if the mod is offered for Linux, all mod files should be in lower case. Other than that, I don't think there is currently much to improve upon. A zip file containing only the mod folder and TP2 is my preferred way of receiving mods.

It is of course unfortunate if there is some part of the current installation procedure that is less user friendly. As lynx may be alluding to, you do not have to be very technically proficient to use modern Linux distributions, so it is rather anachronistic and regrettable when instructions assume the reader possess a high level of proficiency just because it is Linux. But I don't think emulating the mess we have on Windows is the answer (and judging by all the cries for a "mod manager" on the BGEE forums, I don't think I would be alone in that sentiment).

What mess is that [...]

Well, maybe "mess" is a bit strong. Suffice it to say I consider weidu+weinstall to be a superior setup to the one exe per mod practice that is used in the Windows world, which in turn necessitates the auto-update kludge.

[...] and what do the complainers expect from a mod manager? Just a gui?

I suppose that and some high-level features. Things like "uninstall everything" and "install these mods and components without requiring me to baby-sit the process."

Yes, if the mod is offered for Linux, all mod files should be in lower case. Other than that, I don't think there is currently much to improve upon.

Well, another requirement is that a Linux version will have to avoid completely calling .BAT files. It's better if no shell script is required to install a mod, but if one is needed, you will need to bundle a Linux-compatible script.

Archived