Notepad and Line Breaks (Split from FP&PS)

khorghakh

In Notepad in WinXP the line breaks make it very difficult to see... can I edit it in Textwrangler in OS X and then transfer it to my WinXP drive? Or will the editing in a Mac-based program screw it up? Textwrangler is generally very good about respecting files' original formatting, but I wonder if there might be a problem outside of Textwrangler's control, like UNIX line breaks or something...

i usually use notepad++ for editing stuff instead of notepad, it looks neater and has more functions

well tbh ive never encountered that problem with notepad++

even experimented using normal notepad, typed some stuff, using enter to break sentences, and it opened fine with notepad++, nojoinedupsetencesorwords, i must be missing something,

but do you recommend another program to use?

NotePad++ is a fine text editor.
Yeah, but the other editors, like say using a program to write the .tp2 file, those are bad... when their setup is not actually writing the Enter to break the lines, lines that the Notepad++ sees, but the Notepad doesn't, case and point: the setup-fullplate.tp2 ...
NotePad++ is a fine text editor.
Yeah, but the other editors, like say using a program to write the .tp2 file, those are bad... when their setup is not actually writing the Enter to break the lines, lines that the Notepad++ sees, but the Notepad doesn't, case and point: the setup-fullplate.tp2 ...

Notepad is not a good program to use when editing files containing Unix-style line breaks. There's nothing wrong with the files themselves.

NotePad++ and other respectable text editors can be used to edit text files that have any style of line break. Most include the ability to change a file from one style to another.

To subtledoctor: don't edit mod files using Notepad. It's terrible. If you have a decent text editor, use it, whether it's on Windows or Mac.

I've been using Notepad to do quick .tra/typo edits for years, and always - for .tp2 files, but OpenOffice/Word files for writing/coding/translating the bulk of the mod. The main problem with Notepad++ and the like (for me) is that they look too much like a developing environment, and I have enough of it at work. The last thing I want is automatically associating modding with work - *that* starts a writing/modding block for sure.

Archived