Mage spell selection

Clockwerk

Is there a way to randomize a little more the enemy mages' spell selection?

I played BG2 with SCSII several times now, and while it's definitely one my favorites mods, battles with mages tend to feel a bit repetitive. By that, I mean there are various spells we simply never see being used because they favor an optimal selection all the time.I'm not particularly aiming to make the game harder at the moment, I just want to see a bit more variety in their spell choices.

I guess I could just edit all the mages enemies after SCSII is installed, but isn't there a way to do it before the installation?

Spell choice is controlled by the files in mage/spellchoices/core. Feel free to change, but bear in mind that if you give a mage a spell that isn't already listed, they won't be scripted to use it.

For what it's worth, I think you'll find spell choice in vanilla BG2 is a lot less randomised than in SCS!

Okay, thank you. It's more of an experimental thing anyways.

Still it's interesting. I notice several spells listed (like Chain Lightning or Cone of Cold) in the lists but yet I've never seen any mage casting them in a total of 3-4 playthroughs with the mod. Maybe I just got unlucky.

Or you didn't notice - battle can be fairly chaotic. (My current install of SCS has a good couple of dozen mages with Chain Lightning.)
But do they actually use them... erhm get to use them, as if their script release all their magic missiles long before they use the Chain Lightning, there could be improvements made ... other than them spending them in a -Contingency & spell trigger cheesy- ways, as that makes them forget the primary features of the spell(casting time, targeting, damage amount, spell&damage resistance). Not that I can clam to know anything about this matter.

Or you didn't notice - battle can be fairly chaotic.

A possibility.

In any case, mages always seem to prioritize defensive spells over everything else and I tend to kill them as soon as possible before they become too much of a pain. I guess if the pre-buffing components are enabled, they have a better window of opportunity to actually attack. I find pre-buffing more annoying than hard though, so I don't really use it.

Ah well, by reading the lists, their spellbook is in reality quite varied, so I'm fine with it.

Or you didn't notice - battle can be fairly chaotic. (My current install of SCS has a good couple of dozen mages with Chain Lightning.)
But do they actually use them... erhm get to use them, as if their script release all their magic missiles long before they use the Chain Lightning, there could be improvements made .

Give me some credit for intelligence.

I saw a mudcrab.... I mean I was fighting the Shade Lich the other day (dude with Daystar in the box) and he really has a couple of spells, lol. He also has at least two, if not three slightly different pre-buffing options.

So, my question is: wtf are you talking about, bros?

I find pre-buffing more annoying than hard though, so I don't really use it.

ahh...I see what you did there. ;]

Archived