Crashing on combat in BG1

NickDelios

you need a debug build with symbols. 0xb7fd2ff4 doesnt tell us anything useful :p

Hrm. I re-did the build (cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug ..) per the directions located here and the output of gdb is still the same. At least, I'm not getting any more useful information displayed pre-crash. I guess I must have borked up the build, because gdb says:

Reading symbols from /usr/local/bin/gemrb...(no debugging symbols found)...done.

Unless there is another arg to cmake that I'm leaving out.

if you're using the same build dir, make sure to delete CMakeCache.txt and just to be safe CMakeFiles/. Anyway, the used build type is displayed at the end of cmake configuration.

Also, a while ago I made the release build with symbols the default, so this shouldn't be happening anymore.

Ah fark - I'm a berk 'bout all this. So I did another build (after clearing out the gemrb-git/CMakeFiles/ and gemrb-git/CMakeCache.txt files) - which yielded the 'build = debug' message during the CMake. I then made sure to call up that build and a CFG that I setup for BG1 via GDB with:

gdb --args gemrb/gemrb -c ~/BG/gemrb-bg.cfg

Which looked promising - because gdb output the following:

Reading symbols from /home/oswald/Downloads/gemrb-githead/gemrb/build/gemrb/gemrb...done.

However, when gemrb crashes (and it's seemingly only at those damn rats - I decided to fight some of the townsfolk of Candlekeep without incident... other than my death), I fail to get a more information yield than:

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.

0xb7fceff4 in ?? ()

from /home/oswald/Downloads/gemrb-githead/gemrb/build/gemrb/core/libgemrb_core.so

Nothing so far has been able to elaborate on where the crash is coming from - even running the mentioned 'where' it the gdb prompt after the crash yields the same thing.

Thanks, all. I really do appreciate all the support you have all been providing. :thumbs up:

-Erik

Ba'lump?

I figured to give this a more thorough 'go and I'm still not sure what it causing the issue. Attached to this post are the following files:

- The piped output from the cmake, make and make install commands (which I believe properly show a Debug version being built and installed).

- The piped output from gdb - running up to the freeze and an unsuccessful backtrace. I can't get gdb to show me the method where the issue is occurring :/

Anyhow, if you all think that this is related only to the fight with the 'tutorial rats', I could just bypass them (I think - it's been ages so I'm not sure if their death is required to progress farther) and see how it goes.

cmake.txt

gdb.txt

make.txt

install.txt

The crash seem to happen when the rat is moving through an area transition.

That particular crash occurred when a rat came with me through the door from the storeroom and I attacked it. Every other occurrence ace has been when I attack a rat within the storeroom. It's quote odd - the crash seems to be related to me initiating an attack against any of the rats.

I've been able to randomly fight villagers just fine - but the rats, Bhall no. :/

Archived