Question for Mac Users who use mods for this game

zaraki

Hey guys,

New member here; I was just wondering if anyone plays this game in Mac; I recently got rid of my old PC and am now using Macbook air (OSX 10.8.3). I used to love playing this game with many mods on, but I wasn't sure if there is any way I could do that now with my mac in short of installing windows on this game.

I heard Wineskin and crossover game softwares...do these support using mods for this game? It is very big deal that I can use mods.

Thanks a bunch.

The machine mentioned in my signature is what I use to play and mod the game. Currently testing an installation with a large number of only 76 mods (and the installation is biffed, using Generalized Biffing). Early in Chapter 2, no serious issues have arisen so far. This is my "stable" play installation, using only those mods in which I have the most confidence, and I'll be building a second "add stuff until it breaks" installation to test other mods before classifying them as stable, and adding them to my main pay installation.

Thx for all your replies.

Eric, do you use Crossover or Wine? Or do you use bootcamp/parallel?

I recently bought Crossover and have been trying to install BGII on it...I installed upto TOB and official patch fine, but I am having some serious trouble with the whole mods installation (command stuffs don't get supported properly with Crossover), so I am scratching my head here.

Thanks again!

I run BG2 native Mac OS X. My only other option is to run it under OS 9.2.2, but my user experience is far more satisfying the way I do it. Also, I've made disk images of each of the game CDs, so I can mount them on the desktop as needed and not have to use the physical CDs. The game runs very nicely even with the modest graphics card I have (ATI Radeon 7500 w/32 MB VRAM), and I must say that everything appears to be loading and playing much better on my system with Generalized Biffing installed than before I recently started using it :)

Sorry my tech level isn't sufficient for me to guide you. My game install CDs include an OS X and an OS 9 option, so I always install the OS X version. I install it at the same level as my Applications folder, and drag/drop the application onto my Dock. Mount "Baldur's Gate II CD 2.dmg" and click the Docked icon to launch the game.

To install mods, I open a UNIX shell via the Terminal, and type everything (to install a mod, I navigate to the BG2 directory, and I might type ./weidu-mac Setup-Erysseril.tp2 --tlkout dialog.tlk --log Setup-Erysseril.DEBUG).

To install mods, I open a UNIX shell via the Terminal, and type everything (to install a mod, I navigate to the BG2 directory, and I might type ./weidu-mac Setup-Erysseril.tp2 --tlkout dialog.tlk --log Setup-Erysseril.DEBUG).

If you do that, you might want to look into WeInstall instead.

To do the same thing with WeInstall, you would use the command

./weinstall erysseril

and it takes care of all the boilerplate for you (but you may need to place WeiDU and WeInstall on your path and drop the local-file stuff from the command). Additional options, such as --language or --force-install can be used too (and better than with plain WeiDU, since you don't need to use the -rest commands when specifying multiple items).

Forgot to mention that, before I can install a mod, I first drop an extracted copy (not the archive itself) of the mod folder into my main BG2 directory, then in the Terminal I run ./Install-tools/Install-mod.sh, which "fixes broken files" and places a copy of the .tp2 and .exe files from the mod into the BG2 directory.

Wow, all this time, and I've never even tried weinstall before *L* I'll give it a go. Probably could have saved countless hours in my over 200 install runs so far.

Please note that ericp07 is using the mac-version of Baldur's Gate II. That version is written for the PowerPC-processor and therefore can't be used on Mac OS X beyond version 10.6.8. Until BG2EE is released you'd have to use the PC version of BG2. Be sure to use the PC version of WeiDU with Wine or Crossover since the mac WeiDU binary is designed to only work with the mac version of BG2 (if this hasn't been changed in the latest versions of WeiDU).

Please note that ericp07 is using the mac-version of Baldur's Gate II. That version is written for the PowerPC-processor and therefore can't be used on Mac OS X beyond version 10.6.8. Until BG2EE is released you'd have to use the PC version of BG2. Be sure to use the PC version of WeiDU with Wine or Crossover since the mac WeiDU binary is designed to only work with the mac version of BG2 (if this hasn't been changed in the latest versions of WeiDU).

Correct, and I was unaware that PPC applications won't run native under Intel versions of Mac OS X (very lame, IMHO...where's the legacy support? Gone to the same abyss as OS 9.x support, I suppose).

So, that means one must run Windows on top of Mac OS X just to run the game, and if we don't want BG:EE (I probably never will), we're stuck with that, or with running it on a PPC Mac, eh? Wow...

Yeah, Apple dropped Rosetta (PPC-support for Intel) when they released Lion (10.7).

I have no experience with Crossover or Wine unfortunately. I run BG2 on my gaming PC for now.

Another attempt to force people to upgrade (read: give Apple more $) *sigh*. That's one of the very few aspects of Apple that I dislike. How a company can produce such outstanding gear, and yet have such questionable business and support practices, is beyond me, but we can't always have things the way we want, right?

Heh, I may have to keep my Quicksilver around forever, then, and dedicate it to BG2, after I buy a G5 tower. And now I wish I hadn't deleted every last trace of whatever Windows package was on my Sawtooth when I bought it *L*

At the risk of necroposting, I'll update my Mac situation...

Purchased a Mac Pro, running Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks. Installed Parallels Desktop 10, which enables Windows to be installed and run on the machine (I could also just install Windows directly, as though on a PC, but I didn't know that was possible until I set it up this way). Installed 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate, then installed BG1 and BG2 for Windows. Still installing mods by category into this installation for BG2; just finished installing kit mods. Next will be vanilla NPC expansion (friendship and romance mods), then NPC mods, then crossmod content, and Rules/tweaks mods.

Sweet setup. Running this games virtualized is actually a great way to play them. A suggestion, if I may:

I've found the perfect mouse setup by using a virtual machine. Running games like this full screen on a big monitor is just too much, so I set my Windows Desktop to run in its own window, at about 1440x900. I have BG2 set to run in 'full screen' within that window (with the Widescreen mod, working very nicely at that resution). I have my virtual machine set to capture all mouse movement, meaning my mouse stays within the Windows install, i.e. inside the game, meaning I can move the viewport by throwing the mouse to one side or another, just like playing full screen. But I can hit a key and give the mouse back to OS X, enabling me to quickly switch applications if/when I need to. Click back in the window, and the mouse is constrained in the game again.

It gives me all the benefits of both windowed mode and fullscreen mode. I use Virtualbox but if you fiddle you may be able to set up something similar in Parallels. Good luck.

Yeah, I believe I can also switch between the mouse always being in the BG2 window (the Windows window), and releasing it back to Mac OS X. Parallels uses the ctrl + alt key combination to release the mouse, and then I just click anywhere in the Windows window again to return there. I also have BG2 set to full screen, but Windows is set to a maximum of 1024x768, whereas my total (Mac OS X) screen resolution is set to 1600x1200 @ 60 Hz, the optimal settings for my monitor.

Archived