[For consideration] Race condition in WISH25.DLG

I recently encountered a race condition in WISH25.DLG.

SetupWish() is an action that essentially sets globals. If a player clicks fast enough through the dialogue, then they may reach the state offering wish options before the globals are fully modified, which can result in a NO VALID REPLIES OR LINKS message. This scenario is very similar to having a SetGlobal() within a dialogue and checking that same global a little bit later in the dialogue.

However, this is a little more tricky, because players usually aren't fast enough to rapidly advance through 3 states to produce the error. With TobEx, a little extra overhead is generated which exposes this bug more easily.

A simple fix (example shown below) eliminates the race condition. My request is for something like this to be put into BG2 Fixpack, because it does fix a bug, despite vanilla BG2:ToB users encountering it at an infinitesimally small chance. The coding needs to better conform to BG2 Fixpack standards, though, and also note that the Limited Wish creature also uses the same wish01.bcs script.

Open for discussion.

<<<<<<<< wish01_extend.baf
IF
 Global("A6SetupWish","LOCALS",0)
 CheckStatGT(LastSummonerOf(Myself),17,WIS)
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
   SetupWish(4,1)
   SetGlobal("A6SetupWish","LOCALS",1)
END

IF
 CheckStatGT(LastSummonerOf(Myself),14,WIS)
 CheckStatLT(LastSummonerOf(Myself),18,WIS)
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
   SetupWish(3,1)
END

IF
 CheckStatGT(LastSummonerOf(Myself),9,WIS)
 CheckStatLT(LastSummonerOf(Myself),15,WIS)
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
   SetupWish(2,1)
END
>>>>>>>>

EXTEND_TOP ~wish01.bcs~ ~wish01_extend.baf~

COPY_EXISTING ~wish01.bcs~ ~override/wish01.bcs~
 DECOMPILE_BCS_TO_BAF
 REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~Detect(LastSummonerOf(Myself))~ ~Detect(LastSummonerOf(Myself)) Global("A6SetupWish","LOCALS",1)~
 COMPILE_BAF_TO_BCS
BUT_ONLY

<<<<<<<< wish25_mod.d
REPLACE_ACTION_TEXT ~wish25~ ~\(SetupWish([0-9],1)\)~ ~//\1~
>>>>>>>>

COMPILE ~wish25_mod.d~

Bumping for comments? If you guys are reluctant, I'll just throw this in with TobEx.

Nah, just been busy with EE; this looks fine. If you want to put it in TobEx in the meantime go for it--the way it's written it's not going to hurt anything if ends up applied more than once.

Archived