Mini Quests and Encounters problems with DSotSC (BG1-Version)

Hi,

Some time ago, I started this topic about Tulbor missing. I unistalled BGQE, installed it again, and the problem was solved.

Now after more than one year (I was playing on and off with breaks in between), while looking at another mod that wasn't working, I accidentally discovered what caused this problem. I'm sharing it in case by some chance someone else has this problem too.

The culprit was Dark Side of the Sword Coast. Basically that mod has some area scripts that are appended using EXTEND_BOTTOM, but also has some area scipts that are simply compiled into override.

Among the scripts that are compiled are:

_AR3357 - Red Sheaf Inn where Tulbor should appear

_AR4300 - North Nashkel Road where the half orc first appears.

Which means that if you install DSotSC after BGQE, these 2 quests will become unfinishable.

To solve this either simply make sure you install BGQE after DSotSC. Or if you're familiar with TP2, edit the DSotSC TP2 file and make sure all are scripts are appended rather than compiled (I can't see how this could be harmful, but not having much experience with modding, I can't say whether this won't have any negative effects on the DSotSC mod. Perhaps one of the modders can tell my why would COMPILE be used on area scripts instead of EXTEND_BOTTOM on all of them?)

Edited to change title - jastey

Using version 1.03

~SETUP-DS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Darkside of the Sword Coast for Baldur's Gate (Tales of the Sword Coast) Version 1.03

However, the latest version 1.04 seems to have this problem too. Here is the related code:

// Area Scripts
COMPILE ~ds/areabaf/ar3301.baf~
COMPILE ~ds/areabaf/ar3307.baf~
COMPILE ~ds/areabaf/ar3357.baf~
COMPILE ~ds/areabaf/ar3402.baf~
COMPILE ~ds/areabaf/ar3502.baf~
COMPILE ~ds/areabaf/ar3700.baf~
COMPILE ~ds/areabaf/ar4300.baf~
COMPILE ~ds/areabaf/ar4801.baf~
COMPILE ~ds/areabaf/ar4804.baf~
COMPILE ~ds/areabaf/ar5300.baf~
COMPILE ~ds/areabaf/ar5403.baf~
COMPILE ~ds/areabaf/ar5500.baf~
COMPILE ~ds/areabaf/arc001.baf~
COMPILE ~ds/areabaf/arc009.baf~
COMPILE ~ds/areabaf/arc010.baf~
COMPILE ~ds/areabaf/arc011.baf~
COMPILE ~ds/areabaf/arc012.baf~
COMPILE ~ds/areabaf/arc013.baf~
COMPILE ~ds/areabaf/arc014.baf~
COMPILE ~ds/areabaf/arc015.baf~
// Creature Scripts
COMPILE ~ds/crebaf~
//Snips
EXTEND_BOTTOM ~ar1800.bcs~ ~ds/snips/ar1800.baf~
EXTEND_BOTTOM ~ar2300.bcs~ ~ds/snips/ar2300.baf~
EXTEND_BOTTOM ~ar2700.bcs~ ~ds/snips/ar2700.baf~
EXTEND_BOTTOM ~ar3300.bcs~ ~ds/snips/ar3300.baf~
EXTEND_BOTTOM ~ar3304.bcs~ ~ds/snips/ar3304.baf~
EXTEND_BOTTOM ~ar4800.bcs~ ~ds/snips/ar4800.baf~

Downloaded from here

http://darksideoftheswordcoast.net/

Or if you're familiar with TP2, edit the DSotSC TP2 file and make sure all are scripts are appended rather than compiled (I can't see how this could be harmful, but not having much experience with modding, I can't say whether this won't have any negative effects on the DSotSC mod. Perhaps one of the modders can tell my why would COMPILE be used on area scripts instead of EXTEND_BOTTOM on all of them?)

In the olden days, EXTEND_BOTTOM/TOP would fail if the targeted script didn't exist, causing the mod install to crap out. EXTEND was updated to behave as COMPILE in the absence of the target script. DSotSC is just showing its age here--swapping those COMPILEs for EXTENDs would harm nothing from DSotSC's end.

Archived