Third Edition IE

Ishad Nha

If IWD2 can be made to run normally on Gem, then the four Second Edition IE games (BG1, BG2, IWD1 and Planescape) can be played under 3E rules and thus given a new lease on life.

There is already Icewind Gate 2, existing in both Beta and Delta versions. It is viable but it can't use a lot of the functions of the original BG2 because they don't exist in the original IWD2. Icewind Gate is a conversion of the original IWD2 game, for information about it see:

http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55387

If IWD2 can be made to run normally on Gem, then the four Second Edition IE games (BG1, BG2, IWD1 and Planescape) can be played under 3E rules and thus given a new lease on life.
Right.

Not, cause if you actually look in to it, the BG2 is not strickly 2ed game, it's a computer game hello... especially if you wish to, you can alter a lots of facts in it with mods ... and this is why the BG2 moding has far out shined the IwD2 moding, you can change it, better. Of course if the GemRB could make the party system to be alike in BG2, it could shine... if you just tool down the 3ed's xp devourement, but that's a personal opinion.

The missing functions are not a problem for gemrb, especially if you just use iwg as a data base. This should already mostly work, but yeah, iwd2 needs some extra code to get on par with our bg2 engine "version".

If Gem really takes off, you might have the mod available as an option in Gem. You might be able to choose which rules you play a game under.

(I have not played the original IWD1 or the conversion mod you mention. I have the game, I just never got around to playing it.)

Archived