Mod Order Question

RavenBlack

Has anyone been able to use Divine Remix, Rogue Revisions, and Ashes of Embers together successfully, and can provide a working load order for all three? I'm redoing my mod order (AGAIN), and I'd like to use all three together, but the recommended install orders for all three are throwing me off. According to the RR compatibility list, DR must be installed in front of RR and AoE's first component behind RR, while DR's readme states that it has to be installed behind AoE to work properly. All this has led to so far is a very confused player.

The general though of every mods readme is to amplify it's own changes to the later... so a mod that changes the amount of arrows you can keep in one slot to amount x will ask itself to be installed last of the mods that do the same kind of changes, as only the later ones are taken to account when determining the amount. It has nothing to do with Compatibility.

Now, the AoE is so old mod that it specifically demands you to keep the game directory as "BGII - SoA", or it won't install properly on all features.

What features do you like to actually install ... if it's the weapon changes, you are better off by installing the Level 1 NPCs or perhaps the Item Revision mod, or the b!tweaks similar components.

I know how "last mod wins" works. I'm also not interested in replacing AoE.

All I want is to be able to use all of DR except the Jaheira alignment change, everything except the nerfs/kits/Wizard Slayer modification in AoE, and everything except the tactical challenges and AI in RR together without issue. I already know that AoE's changes do not apply to DR's kits unless DR is installed afterward, though I have wondered if I can get away with installing the main portions of DR (the main component and the cleric/druid remixes) before the other two mods and just put the kits after AoE. This is why I was asking about a proper load order for all three.

EDIT: Looks like that just might work, actually. Don't know if there'll be any problems further in, but everything seems to be meshing fine for now.

EDIT: Looks like that just might work, actually. Don't know if there'll be any problems further in, but everything seems to be meshing fine for now.
It would be most efficient if you run into problems that you follow them up and make a full report out of them, including your Weidu.log's content etc.

...the AoE is so old mod that it specifically demands you to keep the game directory as "BGII - SoA", or it won't install properly on all features.

This is news to me. I've always installed AoE, and I've never used path "BGII - SoA" (except when first playing BG2, unmodded).

Maybe I have the needed changes to the AoE TP2, or perhaps I've been missing out on some of the mod's features all these years?? :(

What changes are needed to make it install fully?

What changes are needed to make it install fully?
Well, first of all the ashesofembers_v27.zip should contain the actual files and not an .exe file... as this is where the problem comes from, if you extract that and then extract(run) the AshesofEmbers-v27.exe to a non game directory, you already loose the facts that make it special, that it can't be installed anywhere else than the BGII - SoA folder... as it check nothing, it extracts the files in a weird way and but autoruns the setup-*modname*.exe as if it was a .bat file just in case it's the game folder as it asks for it. Which all end up with a couple "dialog.tlk can't be found" errors, or with auto installed mods with horrific consequences to Megamoding etc. :p

Yeah, none of that is a good reason to say that the game folder needs to be named as "BGII - SoA", but I trust that there once was a good one... it might have changed, but features such as the above make questions to the intent of the modder that made them.

All mod .exe installers I've tried all either auto-select the game folder, or ask me to specify where to extract it into.

Anoher thing you can do is try to run the .exe from your game folder itself, to help it locate your game.

On the Mac side, when you extract any archive, it simply extracts to the same folder/directory where the archive is located. With some archiving programs, you can specify a default extraction location, and sometimes that's more a function of the OS than a given program.

Has anyone been able to use Divine Remix, Rogue Revisions, and Ashes of Embers together successfully, and can provide a working load order for all three? I'm redoing my mod order (AGAIN), and I'd like to use all three together, but the recommended install orders for all three are throwing me off. According to the RR compatibility list, DR must be installed in front of RR and AoE's first component behind RR, while DR's readme states that it has to be installed behind AoE to work properly. All this has led to so far is a very confused player.

heh, indeed. proper installation is kinda impossible. using my simple brain (which hurts now btw.) the best order is:

ashes of embers (without one component)

divine remix

rogue rebalancing

one componet from ashes

heh, indeed. proper installation is kinda impossible. using my simple brain (which hurts now btw.) the best order is:

ashes of embers (without one component)

divine remix

rogue rebalancing

one componet from ashes

I spent hours trying to figure out how to get those three to at least work together without borking the entire load order somehow, and I didn't even think of doing that. *facepalms* I installed the main component and Cleric/Druid remixes of Divine Remix, then the main component and shop of Song and Silence, Sword and Fist's Monk Remix, Rogue Rebalancing, Ashes of Embers, then all the kits from the first three. I'm using TobEx too, so the kit number restriction's a thing of the past.

Everything seems to be working together with no real issues. Only thing I've noticed is that the Feywarden kit still doesn't have access to ranged weaponry beyond slings, which is odd because every other Divine Remix kit does. I'm not sure why, but it doesn't bother me since I hardly ever play a ranged-oriented PC.

All mod .exe installers I've tried all either auto-select the game folder, or ask me to specify where to extract it into.

Anoher thing you can do is try to run the .exe from your game folder itself, to help it locate your game.

Same. While BG2 mod auto-installers tend to offer the default Program Files install folder when they don't auto-detect mine, I've always been able to alter it to whatever I need at the time, whether it's to my actual install folder or off to another folder so that I can manually move everything over later on. WeiDU still runs after extraction, but I've never been required to install anything then. It's easy enough to exit out of. If it runs in a non-game folder, all the dialog.tlk error does is generate a DEBUG file. Once I've got everything where I want it, I just run the setup WeiDU again in my install folder and everything installs just fine.

Archived