new SCS2 install, in what order ?

goblinsly

Hi there,

First of all, once again, what a great mod !

I decided to post my question here aswell, because surely i will get the best answer here. I plan to play BG2+TOB with SCS2. The only other thing beside SCS2 i can think of that i want is a component of a tweak pack and that is 100% spell learn chance.

Soo what is the correct install order ? BG2:SOA, BG2:SOA patch, BG2:TOB, BG2:TOB patch, fixpack ( which one ?? ), tweak pack ( any suggestions for 100% spell learn ? I dont want the option to have more spells then int allows though, i will use potions of genius for that), SCS2. Is this the correct order ?

Also a question about generalised biffing. Uptill now i always had trouble with performance with bg2 (and bg1) on at least 5 different machines ( 3 different operating systems, completely different CPUs, GPUs ... ) but the problem was always completely the same. And that is, lag. When battles are bigger, for instance dragons, it is unplayable. If you make your mage cast spell and start moving your mouse, u will see that when it for instance spawns a creature, the mouse pointer will stop for a second or soo. The only solution i found was to disable 3d acceleration and that basicly solved the problem. It is kind of annoying to change it everytime you start the game .. and i miss 3d aswell. But anyway, generalised biffing could maybe help with that ? But is it supported and compatible with SCS2 ? Or is it very likely that if i install it something will go wrong ? If its ok to install, should it be last ?

Soo what is the correct install order ? BG2:SOA, BG2:SOA patch, BG2:TOB, BG2:TOB patch, fixpack ( which one ?? ),
The ToB it self carries the BG2:SoA patch so that's unneeded, and the BG2 Fixpack is this one of course... and in case you didn't see it yet, the SCS I & SCSII were combined to the SCS just months ago.

The only solution i found was to disable 3d acceleration and that basicly solved the problem. It is kind of annoying to change it everytime you start the game .. and i miss 3d aswell. But anyway, generalised biffing could maybe help with that ? But is it supported and compatible with SCS2 ? Or is it very likely that if i install it something will go wrong ? If its ok to install, should it be last ?
I am actually wondering what kinds of computers you have had... as mine work actually better with the 3d acceleration turned on as well as configuring the game correctly and not haphazardly guessing what's what. The lag has 25 well know reducers, which the Generalized Biffing is just one, and they each work at a different circumstance and they need to be used correctly. And no, there's no official support for outside the mods own scope ... yes, someone could claim such, but it would only go to their guessing ... which is not official support for any moding of a game.

But as of me, I have used all the above mentioned solutions(including installing the SCS & SCSII in a BGT game and the Generalized biffing which worked darn well) and my game has very little lag that's not caused by a failure at coding by others than DavidW.

Thank you for your reply.

Soo its SOA, TOB, TOB patch, BG2 fixpack, SCS and after that BG2 tweakpack ? Any thought on Generalised biffing ? How about widescreen mod, that comes in last i guess ?

Well it's either: SoA, TOB, TOB patch, BG2 fixpack, BG2 tweakpack, SCS, widescreen mod and then Generalised Biffing ?

OR:

SoA, TOB, TOB patch, BG2 fixpack, SCS, BG2 tweakpack, widescreen mod and then Generalised Biffing ... the only thing this depends on is which of the two mods you wish to make the later and thus more lasting effects on the same things the two effect if any.

Actualy now that you mention it i am not sure i want to do it anyway .... last time i did things like that i messed my game soo i guess the simpler it is, the better. I can always reload my game if write into spellbook fails, and i will be using potions of genius anyway ... it will add a bit to the roleplaying, like ... drink a potion, else you wont remember your spell. :)

Thank you for your help with the installation, i wanted to wait a while but i cannot wait anymore, its time for BG2 once more. :))

Thank you for your reply.

Soo its SOA, TOB, TOB patch, BG2 fixpack, SCS and after that BG2 tweakpack ? Any thought on Generalised biffing ? How about widescreen mod, that comes in last i guess ?

I suggest putting BG2 Tweaks before SCSII. I don't know about Widescreen (because I don't have a widescreen monitor), but Generalized Biffing should go absolutely last. That's the same mod order I used for my current play install (plus a large stack of other mods), and it works about as well as it can on my archaic machine :)

I run the game on Core difficulty, with 3D activated. In my system's graphics settings settings for 3D, I've specified "best quality" for BG2, which means performance is set to maximum quality (over speed), FSAA (Super) set to 4x (whatever that means), and Anisotropic Filtering set to 16x. Those three settings are the maximums, and Vertical Sync is on. I mention this in case any of it is relevant to your system.

Good luck! :)

Thank you,

I remembered just now that when writing spell into spellbook fails, it is very annoying. And i dont wanna lower difficulty when i do it cause i used to do it and forgot to put it back often. And saving/reloading isnt fun either. Do you think there could be any problem if i install that component ( always succesfull learning of spells) ?

>

...I remembered just now that when writing spell into spellbook fails, it is very annoying. And i dont wanna lower difficulty when i do it cause i used to do it and forgot to put it back often. And saving/reloading isnt fun either. Do you think there could be any problem if i install that component ( always succesfull learning of spells) ?
Erhm, I don't see where the problem could be coming from, cause I have had all the above mentioned mods installed in the same game ... so there's no danger of damaging the game this way. As the BG2 Tweak pack is basically tweak of the games rules, as evident from the things it adjusts, the rule tables (.2da files). Hmm, the problem probably just comes from your daring to actually play an overly modified game, but if you would know that there's a game played with about 800 different mod components that plays completelly correctly without crashing, of course that took more than a little effort as there is a lot of things done multiple times which can create problems, but you would know there's no danger of installing this one or a few more mod components to the game...

What comes to eric and Widescreen mod, unfortunatelly the Widescreen mod doesn't have Mac support as the mod modifies the games BGMain.exe on PC which is the file used to run the game, and as Mac uses different files to run programs so there's no way the same modification can be used.

It would appear that this directdraw lag was because i had nvidia card, now i have ati and no problems at all !

I do have the same problem as i did with SCS2 18 or 19 (i am using 21 now ) and that is, when i cast spells outside in atlahala, enforcers will not show (i cast like 10 spells with jaheira, in promenade and in slums). It should be noted and added to bug list. I hope it doesnt have anything to do with that enforcers see you everywhere not just outside" components because if i had the chance, i would remove the component, i dont like it, dont know why i installed it. But anyway, its not big of a problem, i will just not cast spell and be fair and go buy that licence asap.

enforcers will not show (i cast like 10 spells with jaheira
Jaheira is a druid... meaning it's devine entity and preying is not arcane magic technically, so she is not restricted like Imoen is... or any mage, try casting magic missile with Aerie ...after the tent of course. And this is the vanilla behavior ...

Oh ... damn, this game keeps surprising me ! Really, today, after soo many months i found time ( actualy i am not sure i have time what with the college and work ) to install this game and i just came out of the dungeon and well it was fun even though i hate the dungeon. For instance, my berserker was blinded while enraged. I guess the rage wont protect against it. But what happens next ? The enemy mage cast charm on him and i laughed since i was enraged. But when charm was like a centimeter from my main character, enrage ended and he got charmed. I went noooo, but then the character just stood there and i said, i have to reload since he bugged out. But then i realised .... he is blinded ! Soo it was luck in the unluck i guess.

I will stop now, i am just so excited about playing again. And even the lag is gone ! Yay !!

ps: since i do that kind of stuff in my college anyway, i made a very simple batch file that will log into a file when you open the game and when you close it. I found it usefull since as we know with bg2 time flies and i like to see how much time i "wasted" playing the game. I think its a good self limit. :))

I found a funny thing which i cant explain. With 18 or with 20 charisma i get the same discount in the store which i guess is ok. But if i put ring of charisma on aerie and cast friendship to get the total 24 charisma, the prices are the same price as if i had 14 or 15 charisma. I checked and the ring and friends stack (it shows 24 charisma) but prices are back up. Tried this on ribald.

ps: i think i found out what the problem is. I thought it didnt matter which character had the charisma adjustment, as long as its the one clicking on the merchant. Turns out it isnt the case. Only the main characters charisma matters no matter who is talking (who clicked) to the merchant. Since i am dualing to mage soon i dont really mind. :)

edit: turns out that it works if i make aerie a temporary group leader. There is a difference between 14, 18 and 20 charisma. There is no difference between 20 and 24 charisma though soo even though her ability shows 24 charisma, price is the same as 20. Either those 2 items dont stack or there is no difference between 20 and 24 charisma regarding the prices. :)

The mod called Dungeon Be Gone is one of the best mod ideas ever, and you might appreciate it if you use it :) I have an ATI graphics card as well, and I've never had a single visual glitch with any BG games.

As for CHA affecting store prices, my understanding has been that it doesn't matter which party member has the high score, as that's the claim in one of the FAQ/walkthrough articles.

I was thinking about Dungeon Be Gone ... but since i dont play BG2 that often ... i do suffer when in dungeon but when i come out its like being burried for a week and then seeing the light for the first time. I feel that without it, it just wouldnt be the same.

As for CHA, i was sure that it was the case like you said. But for me it only works if the person with highest charisma is also made a team leader. Otherwise it doesnt matter, it just takes CHA from the person being the leader. I dont think i messed up my installation with anything ...

ps: i installed that you only gain reputation at 2/3 rate. I did slaver quest and circus quests and neither gave me any reputation. I sure hope i will be gaining rep later on ... i kind of like minsc being all euphoric all the time ...

I was wondering ... if any of your characters ( except protagonist ) dies and you revive him ... will it affect him in any way in the long run ? For instance if i have a romance with jaheira and she dies and i revive her, will this break our romance ?

There are basicly 2 reasons. First of all, there are revival spells and items and why else if not to be used. Till now i always had a rule that if my char dies i reload but it seems to be a waste. The main reason though is that there is 1 battle in SOA that i wont be able to do without casualties. And that is the shadow dragon. I plan to attack him just before i go to underdark ( most quests done except the really hard ones ) but his breath is instant death i belive ..... to most characters ... and with 600hp he will have plenty of time to our levels many times ... soo, can i revive and do no harm ?

Archived