GemRB 0.8.0 released! (Fork Me edition)

lynx

the video thing does sound generic, but it still works fine here, so it must be limited to sdl2 users.

You lost me - are you not running 0.8.0?

I may concentrate on building the game with psch's fixes, but using the old SDL

touch input (gestures) requires SDL 2, as does the software keyboard (unless im mistaken that pelya build was lacking this). Any custom config interface/alerts psch creates too.

I imagine any problems you have with WS are due to you having previously applied a different res to the data. also maybe you are forgetting to change your config res to match the data res.

I am aware of the shortcomings with the pelya build, or at least the obvious ones, I think. There are probably plenty buried deep that I am, as yet, unaware of - I can't imagine it will be easy. I'm at the point where I don't see a choice if I want to play any Infinity games on my tablet. The only other choice is to go back to the buggy 0.7.x versions. Unfortunately (or is it fortunate?) psch has spoiled me! I now know GemRB is capable of so much more and I want to be able to play with something better than 0.7.x - something as close to psch's build as possible.

I realize my idea is a side-step, not a step forward, but it is becoming clear to me, in its present state, 0.8.0 will not run on my system. This is no fault of any of you, obviously, GemRB must move forward and everyone is doing a fantastic job, but I'm not sure it will be able to run on my tablet anytime soon and, I do want to play!

EDITED

I also forgot to mention, I don't mind having a cursor for now. Until zoom is working, the controls are just too small to tap with any accuracy at my preferred playing resolution. Customizable buttons help make up for this hassle.

I think I found another bug, this time regarding custom font. No matter what I do, I can't get it to work (Sherwood.ttf 15pt).

I've tried to copy my edited fonts.2da file, first into /Android/net.sourceforge.gemrb/files/override/, then into /Android/net.sourceforge.gemrb/files/unhardcoded (replacing the old fonts.2da there), but the file is either deleted (override) or replaced with the original one (unhardcoded). The ingame font doesn't change at all. :-(

I've got no problems in v0.7.2.

Any ideas...?

I run it on a grown up computer, so it's using the sdl1 driver.

I've sent you a PM, would you mind taking a look?

I think I found another bug, this time regarding custom font. No matter what I do, I can't get it to work (Sherwood.ttf 15pt).

I've tried to copy my edited fonts.2da file, first into /Android/net.sourceforge.gemrb/files/override/, then into /Android/net.sourceforge.gemrb/files/unhardcoded (replacing the old fonts.2da there), but the file is either deleted (override) or replaced with the original one (unhardcoded). The ingame font doesn't change at all. :-(

Any ideas...?

Because of other, larger concerns (for me, that is), I haven't worried about bringing this up, but my custom fonts are not working as expected either. FYI

the video thing does sound generic, but it still works fine here, so it must be limited to sdl2 users.

there are any number of other reasons it happened to him and you cant reproduce with your save. SDL2 impact is limited to rendering and input so its hard to imagine how that would cause the loop. If psch can reproduce have him do a BT.

Any ideas...?

odd that the file is overwritten (i think) maybe psch has things unpack every time, but you should be able to put it in the game override directory; that one wont be touched by gemrb. just make sure your base file matches the game you drop it into (they are not the same for every game)

Any ideas...?

odd that the file is overwritten (i think) maybe psch has things unpack every time, but you should be able to put it in the game override directory; that one wont be touched by gemrb. just make sure your base file matches the game you drop it into (they are not the same for every game)

SyntaxError, mine is setup correctly - the customized font file is located where it should be and the correct path is in the CFG, but, I will verify that it is indeed not working as expected the next time I load and run 0.8.0.

SyntaxError, mine is setup correctly - the customized font file is located where it should be and the correct path is in the CFG, but, I will verify that it is indeed not working as expected the next time I load and run 0.8.0.

as I said, i expect that android unpacks those files every launch, so you need to put it (fonts.2da) into the override folder for the game itself. we dont really have a good way that i know of to avoid that on android; it was a choice between making users manually update those directories or having it automatic.

as I said, i expect that android unpacks those files every launch, so you need to put it (fonts.2da) into the override folder for the game itself. we dont really have a good way that i know of to avoid that on android; it was a choice between making users manually update those directories or having it automatic.

That's what I'm saying, I verified this was done correctly. And yes, you are correct, I did have to recopy the fonts.2da to the BG1 override directory when I first installed 0.8.0 - when it was originally released. But again, I will verify this when I next load 0.8.0.

As fonts are a pretty technical customization for the average layman, I think the way you'll choose to do it (making users manually update those directories) was the correct choice. The easier it is for the uninitiated, the better, IMHO.

EDITED

If I am misunderstanding your post, I do apologize!

It works!

I've copied the edited font.2da into the game's override directory. For clarification: my BG2 game files are stored in GemRB's base dir

(on my phone: /storage/extSdCard/app-data/net.sourceforge.gemrb/).

So the BG2 game override directory is /storage/extSdCard/app-data/net.sourceforge.gemrb/override/, not /storage/extSdCard/app-data/net.sourceforge.gemrb/override/bg2/ - that's where I stored it while using v0.7.2.

I think the way you'll choose to do it (making users manually update those directories) was the correct choice. The easier it is for the uninitiated, the better, IMHO.

No, we have had endless problems with people updating the binary without updating the resources. Whats so much harder about copying fonts.2da to another folder as opposed to editing it in place that would be overwritten after any update anyway? if you want your customization to be persistant between updates you have to use the game override directory regardless.

I think the way you'll choose to do it (making users manually update those directories) was the correct choice. The easier it is for the uninitiated, the better, IMHO.

No, we have had endless problems with people updating the binary without updating the resources. Whats so much harder about copying fonts.2da to another folder as opposed to editing it in place that would be overwritten after any update anyway? if you want your customization to be persistant between updates you have to use the game override directory regardless.

No, no, that's not what I meant! I completely agree, I was talking about the fonts.2da file specifically and only, not the data updates (override, GUIScripts, etc.), sorry - that's my bad - I was thinking of only the font problem. Personally, I keep a backup of any modified files within a zip using the app's directory structure - a bare directory tree with modified files only. I also have a separate backup for each and every version I install. It takes me about 2 minutes to switch between versions now.

I will have a detailed list of the steps I take to customize the fonts and pics of an in-game screen that displays the customized fonts. The pics will compare 0.7.2 custom and default screens that show the customized fonts and the same screens for 0.8.0 (again, both custom and default font screens).

This way you'll can determine if I (we) are messing up somewhere or if there is a problem that may have snuck in somewhere with one of the builds.

Unfortunately (fortunate for me, though), my daughter and granddaughter are here visiting all day! I won't get a chance to post the pics until my wife gets home from work. But, if someone discovers a reason I don't need to post the pics (or no one thinks it is actually not necessary), then please let me know.

EDITED

Obviously, I do not need to do this now as Xelasarg got his to work (I missed that post).

I do have to admit, I haven't got mine to work yet, but it's late and I will try again it tomorrow. This is part of what I was afraid of, trying to take too much on and making simple mistakes (and constantly putting my foot in my mouth). I need to adjust my schedule.

EDITED, AGAIN

Of course I couldn't sleep with this font problem on my brain! I got it working thanks to Xelasarg (thank you). Now SyntaxError's comment about putting the file into the games override directory makes sense.

This is where my ignorance of the game comes into play. As I stated, I've never played the games, except on my tablet using GemRB. I did not know the game had and used an override directory, I thought it existed for, and was created by, GemRB.

I should have known better as I've written mods for games that use an override directory, but I had no idea these games were this customizable, especially as I thought they were released before this type of modification ability was in widespread use. I have a new respect for Infinity and understand better why these games were so popular.

The upside to this hard-learned lesson is that I have a new resource for troubleshooting - I can read about the games technical aspects as opposed to only researching GemRB's documentation.

Thanks for the patience while I get my bearings. I'll get there, I promise.

Sorry for being persistent, but I have to bring up the screen scaling question again. Not because I want to keep bugging you, but because I think there was a fundamental misunderstanding. I went through this thread again, read your explanations and compared the screenshots I made on my phone to the PC version of GemRB.

Basically, what I was thinking of, is not arbitrary resolution support in GemRB (which has never been supported, of course), but a "fit to screen" option, maintaining the original resolution of e.g. 640x480, but overriding the 4:3 aspect ratio by scaling the display to fullscreen. That's what v0.7.2 does. Perhaps this could be achieved through an additional switch in gemrb.cfg or simply via the fullscreen option (fullscreen=0: 4:3, fullscreen=1: fit to screen).

The reason why I keep asking is that I need a comparatively low resolution to play GemRB on my phone. The widescreen mod is no real option, at least for me. I've tried it, but it only works in my phone's native resolution (1280x720). All other 16:9 resolutions (I've tried 640x360, 800x450, 820x480, 848x480, 854x480, 896x504, and 960x540) are buggy, garbled, or won't run at all. What's making it a pain to use is that at 1280x720, everything is way too small on my 5,6" screen, and the impact on fps is quite heavy, too (11-15fps). It's e.g. extremely difficult to recognize the party members' status in their portrait icons, or to hit the "select all" or pause buttons in the screen corners. I don't think it'd be much better on a 7" tablet, especially considering most of them display even higher resolutions.

Just my 2 cents, but I believe this issue affects everyone running this on a phone.

Just a quick thanks, this is an amazing program. It's great to be able to play the classic Baldur's Gate 2 along with all the mods. With Exult on Android, ScummVM and Dosbox it's great to be able to replay games from my past. I have a 2 long travel days coming up so will give it a proper test, and deliver any feedback I can when I get back. v.8 is certainly a lot faster loading, and I can't say I miss the mouse icon, even if I used to use a mouse with it.

Basically, what I was thinking of, is not arbitrary resolution support in GemRB (which has never been supported, of course), but a "fit to screen" option, maintaining the original resolution of e.g. 640x480, but overriding the 4:3 aspect ratio by scaling the display to fullscreen.

it is not possible that 0.7.2 supported anything of the sort unless you mean stretching/squashing the screen (anything else is arbitrary). 640x480 is by definition a 4:3 aspect ratio and we already do support upscaling it as much as possible without distorting the video. Scaling is such a way to distort the game is not something that I will be doing and I doubt anybody else is willing to spend time on that, either live with the black bars or use widescreen mod to alter the graphics to your screens aspect ratio.

We would rather dedicate our time making GemRB run faster ;)

Archived