GemRB 0.8.0 released! (Fork Me edition)

lynx

Here's a new android build.

Notable changes are some touch input fixes (ref. this post) and notifications for FATAL and ERROR log messages in case core initialization fails. The latter should at least hint at the config not being found or game data not being complete.

Even after I update my gemrb (I'm using the Android version) I'm still having the same issues as before. Right after the "wizards of the coast" logo the screen goes black and freezes. The app isn't crushing but nothing is happening. At this opportunity I wish to thank all of those involved in the project for the hard work and support

After a short hiatus, I'm back to GemRB and trying to get to run on my tablet.

Here's where I'm at: I got tired of my "poor man's tablet" struggling with almost every game I tried, especially as Android apps are becoming more and more sophisticated and requiring newer and faster machines. What did I do? I went out last weekend and bought a ASUS TF700T Transformer Pad Infinity, complete with docking station. This tablet, by all accounts, is one of the fastest on the market (check out the specs here: https://www.asus.com/Tablets_Mobile/ASUS_Transformer_Pad_Infinity_TF700T/). I got the 32Gb version.

I've been loading and running games I could not even dream about on my old tablet, all without a single hitch and with all graphic settings turned up to their very highest. Some of these games include: Bard's Tale, F18 Carrier Lander, Air Navy Fighters, SoulCraft, and Aralon HD.

Despite these great apps, the Baldur's Gate games remain my favorite. I'm not bringing all this up to brag, not by any means, but to point out I still cannot run GemRB 0.8.0 with anything near satisfactory performance. Needless to say, I was really looking forward to 0.8.0, but I find myself switching between 0.7.0.1 (I think this is the version) and 0.7.2, again.

I've tried all the resolutions mentioned in this forum (and I had to try my native 1920x1200, but that was just for kicks) and can get only marginally acceptable performance at 1280x720.

What I'm wondering is, has anyone had any success running 0.8.0 at anything but the lowest possible resolutions (while maintaining the proper aspect ratio) on an Android system? If so, can you detail your settings (only so far as resolution and any major tweaks that made a significant fps improvement)?

I can no longer blame this on my tablet.

Thanks in advance.

Hello all,

I tried to install gemRB 0.8.0, but it doesn't work for me (black screen with a fatal error message).

Anyone please can explain me, step by step, the way to install it ? (sorry, i am french, not very good in english)

Matthieu

Oh i don't know, there's only a notification message (in the zone where there's other types of message like a download's end, etc ...), but i have no other informations, even if i click on the message.

If you explain me, i can try to find à log anywhere ?

For information, i have the last androwook version.

I promess, there's no message, even if i click on it. just the logo of gemrb and "fatal error".

I tried the 2 methods of installation, but it still don't work.

Did you check the GemRB.log file?

What I'm wondering is, has anyone had any success running 0.8.0 at anything but the lowest possible resolutions (while maintaining the proper aspect ratio) on an Android system? If so, can you detail your settings (only so far as resolution and any major tweaks that made a significant fps improvement)?

I'm getting around 28 to 30 fps in BG1 in 870x500 widescreen-modded when idle, path-finding and FOW reveal does push those down to around 14 to 18; the resolution is pretty much keeping the aspect ratio of my screen (about 0.001 off). With regards to widescreen-mod you have to take the Android homebar into account when modding the game data, which is 64px high on my 1280x800 device.

I'm getting around 28 to 30 fps in BG1 in 870x500 widescreen-modded when idle, path-finding and FOW reveal does push those down to around 14 to 18; the resolution is pretty much keeping the aspect ratio of my screen (about 0.001 off). With regards to widescreen-mod you have to take the Android homebar into account when modding the game data, which is 64px high on my 1280x800 device.

Thanks psch, that's what I was looking for. While waiting for GPU support, I want to be able to keep at least some of the widescreen benefits.

I did find one app ICS+ users may be interested in; full!screen (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.tsorn.FullScreen). This very useful app allows you to use your entire screen by hiding system bars! You don't have to worry about adjusting your calculations. The paid version, I believe, can activate automatically dependant on the foreground app. I haven't had time to try it with GemRB yet, but there is no reason it shouldn't work.

Chiv had some other ideas that might alleviate the issue too, but he seems to have vanished again.

Gnah! I'm genuinely sorry about that, I don't mean to make a habit of it, I just tend to get distracted by villainous real life. I hadn't actually thought I would be much missed till I came back and saw my name again. With regards to what you were originally talking about, most of my interface ideas were just that, ideas, not much concrete use until I can focus them into something usable. I've finally arrived in the smartphone age so at least I can get a perspective on it - unfortunately I arrived by way of a hand-me-down-iphone, which for me is sort of like finding a million pounds worth of monopoly money. You can still count it and sleep on top of it and flick through rubber-banded up wads of it with a smug look on your face, but you wont impress anyone and you can't do anything you might actually want to do with it. And this is by design. Parker Brothers really missed a trick there.

Most of what I had written down was just a thought exercise on how to throw away half the buttons and screens without losing any functionality, but I couldn't settle the idea in my head as something that people other than me would actually want, so I put it on ice. It's also harder to simplify the game than I thought, I mean I made a perfectly functional weapon selection system that fits in the constraints of the infinity engine, so you can go easily from bow to twin swords to two-hander without the inventory screen, but it was a hack and unless people know the infinity engine well, it behaves in a way that doesn't make sense because it's always emptying your quickslots...although bizarrely, I think I the solution just occurred to me.

What I really want to do though, is more Torment stuff, and in that capacity I can only be a test-grinder, I just understand the original engine too poorly to actually fix anything.

Archived