Kit Revisions (Monks)

Now, I know some players won't like this, but I suggest to re-introduce vanilla's immunity to slow and haste. Not only it's a AD&D thing but I actually think it makes sense as an extension of Purity of Body (3E kept only immunity to disease) if you consider it as the monk not "accepting" external alterations to his body. Extending it even more, level 17 Timeless Body could be modified to grant a couple of immunities such as polymorph and/or petrification (the current Slow Time will be an HLA).

T-up. Just keep him away from +2 movements speed bonuses and the like. If I want him to move fast, I'll give him Boots of Speed. Otherwise, he can move as everybody else, if needs faster he can Teleport anyway. He will still attack faster than anybody else (5apr, 0 speed factor)

It doesn't hurt him much (5apr/6apr isn't that much different) and Slow immunity is decent. + You can leave Gauntlets of Crushing as they are.

In addition, it will also nerf his Slow Time a bit, which is good.

Fully agree.

My own biggest issue with haste immunity is the inability to get the same speed boost from Haste as other party members do.

I.e. I'm not worried about the extra ApR but about the movement rate.

Edited by Ardanis
My own biggest issue with haste immunity is the inability to get the same speed boost from Haste as other party members do.

I.e. I'm not worried about the extra ApR but about the movement rate.

You can still give him the Boots of Speed if you want him to run around super fast. As kreso says the Monk can now either temporary run super fast when needed or even "teleport" himself later on, making fast movement useless for combat.

I'm not able to understand well how much different this monk would be from a "vanilla" monk. xD

Well, guess it's time I fill that "note" stuff in the first post.

Anyway, I'll try to summarize the differences:

- the monk now starts with 2 attacks per round instead of 1 (this is a huge difference, especially at low levels)

- fists damage still improve with levels but caps at a lower dmg output (1d12 instead of 1d20) to prevent OPness at high levels

- fists enchantment level is +1/+2/+3 at levels 6, 12 and 18 respectively instead of 9, 12, 15 (the +1 at level 6 is crucial for BG1 and early BG2 imo)

- base innate AC is 2 points better than vanilla's monk (again a crucial thing for low levels), than scale as per vanilla

- does not gain fast movement rate (but Ki Step ability more than make up for it)

- immunities are pretty much unchanged

- no longer gains magic resistance but in exchange he gets the best saves of any other class (even better than paladins)

- Quivering Palm is mostly unchanged

- the real big new entries are to be found within the Ki Pool. It contains vanilla's Stunning Blow and Wholeness of Body, but now adds TONS of new abilities like Ki Dodge (later upgraded to Etherealness), Ki Step (later upgraded to Abundant Step, aka a super fast Dimension Door), Ki Arrow, and the outstanding Ki Shout.

- Slow Time is pretty much a lesser Time Stop HLA, and a real game changing ability

I think KR's Monk is way better than vanilla's one in every aspect. It's much more usable at lower levels, and still extremely powerful later on despite the loss of the uber magic resistance (which was stealing Wizard Slayer's role while making the Monk a bit OP at high levels) and capped dmg output (countered by the increased apr). The Ki Pool is the real class defining feature of KR's Monk, offering the class a lot more options and potential, while making the gameplay more unique and fun imo.

Edited by Demivrgvs

- the monk now starts with 2 attacks per round instead of 1 (this is a huge difference, especially at low levels)

This is tied in the mfist item, or ?

It has good and bad sides, with either or.

If yes, then anyone else using that exact item will gain the bonus.

If not, the monk will have 2 attacks with every thief weapon by default.

Yeah, this all comes down to "we need to give this monk our own kit special fist"s.

Thanks a lot Demiurgus. You did a great job as always :)

I'm glad you like it. :)

@Jarno, yes KR's monk "have 2 attacks with every thief weapon by default" similarly to PnP Flurry of Blows that can be applied to monk weapons too. I also remember beta testers reporting some kind of issue when we had the apr bonus applied to fist itm files.

On a side note, I re-read almost all feedback from beta testers (thanks again Kreso, Kalindor and Lawlight) and finally added the notes to the first topic to hopefully better explain what we did and why.

Monk

Class Features:

- Can only become Proficient (+) in weapons available to the Thief class (excluding Two-Handed weapons)

I think they should be allowed to use (and be proficient with) quarterstaffs. It even seems to be more appropriate for a monk to wield a large stick than a longsword. Thus the restriction would affect only missile weapons (or are there other two-handed weapons a thief can use?).

Of course this is a very small refinement with minor impact on gameplay.

Sorry I forgot to answer. :(

I think they should be allowed to use (and be proficient with) quarterstaffs. It even seems to be more appropriate for a monk to wield a large stick than a longsword. Thus the restriction would affect only missile weapons (or are there other two-handed weapons a thief can use?).

Of course this is a very small refinement with minor impact on gameplay.

I'll spare you the long story, the engine simply doesn't allow monks to use 2handed weapons. It's something related to its unique animations and their fists.

Can make 2 unarmed attacks per round. An additional 1/2 attack is gained every 3 levels, up to 5 attacks at level 18

Small suggestion: Update this description to say "starting at level 3." Since all chars start at level 1, I assumed that the monk won't be getting the apr bonus till level 1+3 = 4, whereas it actually happens at level 3. This just makes the description clearer to newbies.

Can make 2 unarmed attacks per round. An additional 1/2 attack is gained every 3 levels, up to 5 attacks at level 18

Small suggestion: Update this description to say "starting at level 3." Since all chars start at level 1, I assumed that the monk won't be getting the apr bonus till level 1+3 = 4, whereas it actually happens at level 3. This just makes the description clearer to newbies.

I believe that the current phrasing has internal consistency. I.e. proficiencies for Warriors are "one pip every 3 levels", which works exactly like APR for monks above. Same for spell effects ("1D6 for every 4 levels") and so on.

I believe that the current phrasing has internal consistency. I.e. proficiencies for Warriors are "one pip every 3 levels", which works exactly like APR for monks above. Same for spell effects ("1D6 for every 4 levels") and so on.

Oh I see. Thanks, didn't realize that.