Kit Revisions (Monks)

Another point is about saves, normally the monk should have the betters. By reading the revised table STT forum, the monk has the priests or the fighters? 4/6/4/8/6 or 4/8/4/6/8? well there's not a gap like vanilla's, really like it but my monk had at high level 6/6/6/6/6. I tried with another class, the shapeshifter and same error he should have 4/8/4/6/8 and he had 4/8/6/6/8 or something like that.

Monk has the best overall saves with KR. It's intended.

Yes of course and I like that point but that's not what it should be :(. Am I the only one that report that bug?

Just for the record I've made a small configuration with BG2 GoG with ToBEx, BG2 Fixpack, IR, SR and KR.

Edited by Valandil

I have tested it yesterday and here is my first feedback.

Thanks. :)

...it felt strange to see him walk like others without boots of speed as I am used to seeing him run after his opponents ^^.

Most players complained for years about faster characters (e.g. monk and barbarian) leaving the party behind and endangering themselves, and I was one of them. Ki Step (not to mention its upgrade) allows you to get even more speed when you truly need it.

The ki pool abilities are interesting and the fact that you can choose several times the abilitie that you want to use more often in a specific situation like more wholeness of body to heal yourself after a difficult battle or ki arrows against wizards is very helpful but I'm not a huge fan to click twice, one to access to abilities and another to choose the one you want. The incantation is doubled but I know it's necessary to implement that way.

Yeah, it's an engine limitation, but as long as you pause the game to select the ability it works flawlessly.

I think Ki Arrow needs a bit of refinement to remain appealing once you get Ki Shout, but other than that I think each ability has its own role.

When I read the description I thought that we would be able to choose multiple times the abilitie slow time but it's not the case and it's better to do it just once.

If you notice, abilities that are added to your general Ki Pool are listed as "Ki Pool (Ability_name)", while Quivering Palm and Slow Time are not - for balance reasons.

I think we discussed about merging Quivering Palm into it as a sort of upgrade to Stunning Fist, but balancing it would be problematic imo because at high lvls you could use it up to 7 times per day.

About ki step which copy the dimension door animation, I would have preferred without it just like faster than the eye of refinements.

Removing DD animation makes sense indeed. Good idea imo.

Another point is about saves, normally the monk should have the betters. By reading the revised table STT forum, the monk has the priests or the fighters? 4/6/4/8/6 or 4/8/4/6/8?

As discussed on the other topic, KR's monk have no weak saves (and allofthem go from average to excellent at lvl 1 if it wasn't for the bug). Having a mere 3% mr instead of +2 to all saves lowers the high lvl performance of the monk right now, sorry. :(

Another point is about saves, normally the monk should have the betters. By reading the revised table STT forum, the monk has the priests or the fighters? 4/6/4/8/6 or 4/8/4/6/8?

As discussed on the other topic, KR's monk have no weak saves (and allofthem go from average to excellent at lvl 1 if it wasn't for the bug). Having a mere 3% mr instead of +2 to all saves lowers the high lvl performance of the monk right now, sorry. :(

No problem as you mentionned, I'll just to have to fix the clab file.

Edited by Valandil
Enjoyed playing with this monk and have a few interesting suggestions:

1) A new ki pool skill with bonus to Hide in Shadows. Useful to scout and great for monks that invest invest more points to Detect Traps than Move\Hide

2) a new ki pool skill - Bladestop - monk is protected from first physical attack. Should be easy to implement - monk gets 100% slashing\piercing\crushing resistance but first enemy attack will dispell those protections (On-hit maybe?) If it's too powerful then it may be limited to slashing resistance only, still pretty cool.

3) a new ki pool skill - Silver Palm, first monk attack are considered as with +6 magic weapon. To hit through Improved Mantle. A high level skill of course.

4) Ki pool arrow is really weak, but may be improved by:

a) moving it to earlier levels. Really this skill is too weak to be later than Stunning Blow.

b) adding a deafening effect.

c) adding an aura cleansing effect. This way monk can attack immediately after using this skill or he can just shoot another ki arrow instead

d) adding a 20% chance to do double damage (a crit like effect)

1) I don't know about this. It's probably doable, but I don't see much point in detecting traps that a monk can't actually disarm.

2) doable, but far easier with giving them 1 stoneskin. Imo doesn't really fit the class.

3) +6 I don't really see happening

4) nice ideas, and I like all of them bar deafening effect

1) I don't know about this. It's probably doable, but I don't see much point in detecting traps that a monk can't actually disarm.

The point is to spend 1 ki pool point for better hiding chance.

About detecting trap monk - that helped me in Durlag tower, I don't have a thief.

2) doable, but far easier with giving them 1 stoneskin. Imo doesn't really fit the class.

Agree it's easier if you want to see hardcoded grey colour and specific sound

About fitting - it's like a situation then monk stops sword blade with his bare hands. And actually this skill inspired by monks from one popular mmorpg.

3) +6 I don't really see happening

Well that's just one attack, and still it can't penetrate through PFMW.

The Inner Time's HLA from Refinements allow monk to "gets 8 attacks/round, his damage, THAC0 and AC get a 4 points bonus, attack and casting speeds are also reduced by 2. He can catch missiles and throw them back to the attacker with the same move, and will become protected from backstabs as well. After the duration of the ability expires (which is 3 rounds), the monk will become winded and will be unable to use any special attacks or abilities for the following 2 rounds."

Just for the record with KR the monk can get 10 A/R. Maybe because I've installed KR before Refinements. The other way may fix that bug, otherwise the monk is more devastating for 3 rounds ^^.

Just for the record with KR the monk can get 10 A/R. Maybe because I've installed KR before Refinements. The other way may fix that bug, otherwise the monk is more devastating for 3 rounds ^^.

Yes, since with KR monks start with 2 apr, not 1. Inner time actually doubles attacks, so KR monk gets 2 extra over vanilla with this HLA. Install order you use (KR first, then Ref) is correct. Afaik, you can only pick this HLA once so it's pretty balanced overall, and 8 or 10 apr doesn't make such a drastic difference.

Yes, since with KR monks start with 2 apr, not 1. Inner time actually doubles attacks, so KR monk gets 2 extra over vanilla with this HLA. Install order you use (KR first, then Ref) is correct. Afaik, you can only pick this HLA once so it's pretty balanced overall, and 8 or 10 apr doesn't make such a drastic difference.

That's exactly what I had fought after reflexion (should have edit). For the install order I kept the good one.