Alternate Sarevok Epilogues? [ToB Spoilers]

Cirosan

Was there ever a mod released to change Sarevok's epilogue depending on whether or not the player convinced him to change his ways and completed his alignment shift?

As I recall, originally the epilogue was the same regardless of how Sarevok ended up. Ascension might've addressed it with the "tortured soul" angle, but it still didn't reflect him accurately if he had committed to changing for the better. Is there an epilogue mod for a fully reformed Sarevok?

There is a different epilogue for Sarevok Romance, but this is it. Even Sarevok Friendship doesn't add a new epilogue, which I believe was very wise - the original epilogue is strong enough and ambiguous enough for both Sarevoks, the good one and the bad. (= Not a fan of Ascension epilogues, to be honest).

You may try, or someone else might, but to me it's a clear case of "don't fix what isn't broken".

Actually I myself hate Sarevok's epilogue, but there is a reason -- I never killed Tamoko. There is a way to make her leave via the dialogue. If you appear to be reasonable and show her that you are different to Sarevok, then she will let you go and leave forever (you can't be of evil alignment, though). For years I thought it's normal and when I finished ToB for the first time, it was kinda "uhm...what...?"

I always imagined that Tamoko went took her own life after my PC let her go. It might or might have not happened(her dialogue, beaten and defeated, might've hinted at that but never told as much outright).

Seems like she died, though, given Sarevok's epilogue. Maybe she survived BG1, heard the rumors about Saradush and a huge warrior with glowing eyes, went to look for him and perished?

Yeah, that's what I always thought too: that she went and took her own life even if you managed to avoid fighting her at the end of BG1. From her dialogue, it really sounded like she couldn't bear the thought of Sarevok getting killed.

There is a different epilogue for Sarevok Romance, but this is it. Even Sarevok Friendship doesn't add a new epilogue, which I believe was very wise - the original epilogue is strong enough and ambiguous enough for both Sarevoks, the good one and the bad. (= Not a fan of Ascension epilogues, to be honest).

You may try, or someone else might, but to me it's a clear case of "don't fix what isn't broken".

A fair point. To be clear, I'm not advocating for a "Sarevok rides off into the sunset and lives happily ever after" epilogue - ambiguity, done right, is something to be admired. However, like others have pointed out, the epilogue just plain doesn't make sense for certain characters. By the time you're done, Sarevok may indeed have turned over a new leaf - while he's still guilty of his past crimes, he's not "a man that [does] not know himself" as the epilogue puts it. Further still, not everyone may have killed Tamoko.

Sure, you could read it as her taking her own life and that's a valid interpretation, but for it to work for everyone there would need to have been more of a follow-up about her before the ending. As it stands, her death is just mentioned in passing at the very, very end - it comes out of left field and is pretty jarring.

Again, I'm not saying that the epilogue is badly written, nor should there be a pefect happy ending epilogue mod - just that it doesn't work for certain characters.

So, if it hasn't yet been done, I may well take a stab at it myself. Could anyone tell me which files make up Sarevok's epilogue, and where the conditionals for the epilogues are stored?

So, if it hasn't yet been done, I may well take a stab at it myself. Could anyone tell me which files make up Sarevok's epilogue, and where the conditionals for the epilogues are stored?

AR6200.BCS controls which epilogues are displayed. To add new epilogues, you would want to copy the file SAREVND.2DA (his default epilogue), rename the copy to something else, replace the reference to string #73926 in the copy with a reference to a your new string and amend AR6200.BCS with new conditionals for which textscreen to display under what circumstances (and then there's the patching of DLGs and other BCSs to have them set the necessary variables, and what have you).

Very simplistic example: link (pastebinned because the forum software can't not meddle with it, code tags notwithstanding).

I've got a question to ask.
I remember that time and time ago, I had a mod that added a special ending for sarevok, if you were evil and you accepted his proposal to let him become your chosen.

It kinda went like this:

"As soon as <charname> ascended, Sarevok started accumulating followers and clerics for your cult, which culminated in the construction of a temple in the ruins of saradush, where a great pool was erected just for a mastodontic sacrifice of all those who opposed you, under the vigilant eyes of worshippers and enemies

Truth be told, it seems also that Sarevok discevered that there was a cleric, amongst the high ranks of the temple itself, that planned to subtract <charname> divine heritage by the link offered by the blood lingering on this great pool in the temple.

It seemed that Sarevok, allied with the cleric to put an end to <charname>. The reasons were unknown. Was it because Sarevok wasn't satisfied with Charname's treatment? As soon as the slaughering en-masse started, and the blood started to fill the pool, the cleric started his ritual, but Sarevok surprised him, killing him while in the blood pool itself. And it seems that the blood itself, didn't react well to all what was happening, culminating in an explosion that crumbled the temple and killed many of <charname> followers and enemies.

To that day, sudden appearances of sarevok were vague and sometimes claimed as lies, although many clerics and Bhaal's followers claim that, in that day, <charname> found a new right hand, and a shadow was always in his right, when he sit on his throne"

Did I dream it?

Its quite a shame that Bioware didn't add a different epilogue for "normal" and redeemed Sarevok. There are different ones for romanced characters after all.

Maybe they were running out of time and Sarevok redemption talks were kinda random rather than time generated like romance talks were.

A shame nevertheless...

Archived