Spider

Jaheira's CRE files

Hopefully someone can answer this in my BGT-WeiDU game.

In looking at the CRE files for Jaheira some of the photos are those of an Elf. Meanwhile some are of a human. Additionally, the files are showing her as various races and classes:

1. Half-elf fighter / druid [JAHEI12B.CRE] — elvish photo.
  2. Dwarf fighter [JAHEI2.CRE] with the name of Harper — no photo.
  3. Elf mage / conjurer [JAHEI3.CRE] with the name of Harper — no photo.
  4. Human fighter / cleric [JAHEI4.CRE] with the name of Harper —no photo.
  5. Human fighter / druid [JAHEIR.CRE] — human photo.
  6. etc., etc.

In the case of her being human that is in BGI while she is a half-elf in BGII. Is it perhaps, a mistake when the developers went from the first to the second and we are stuck with it? Just curious as to which race she actually is. Should the CRE files be changed to agree with each other?

Hopefully someone can answer this in my BGT-WeiDU game.

In looking at the CRE files for Jaheira some of the photos are those of an Elf. Meanwhile some are of a human.

In the case of her being human that is in BGI while she is a half-elf in BGII. Is it perhaps, a mistake when the developers went from the first to the second and we are stuck with it? Just curious as to which race she actually is. Should the CRE files be changed to agree with each other?

She was given a new portrait in BG2. She's always been a half-elf.

Half-elf fighter / druid [JAHEI12B.CRE] — elvish photo.

Unused.

Dwarf fighter [JAHEI2.CRE] with the name of Harper — no photo.

Elf mage / conjurer [JAHEI3.CRE] with the name of Harper — no photo.

Human fighter / cleric [JAHEI4.CRE] with the name of Harper —no photo.

These are obviously not Jaheira. These are creatures associated with one of her "quests".

Human fighter / druid [JAHEIR.CRE] — human photo.

JAHEIR, JAHEIR2, JAHIER4, and JAHEIR6 are the creature files associated with the Jaheira you meet in BG1 (depending on how much experience you have when you first encounter her). These use the BG1 portrait.

JAHIER7, JAHEIR8, JAHEIR11, and JAHEIR12 are the creature files associated with the Jaheira you meet in SoA. JAHEI14 is the creature file associated with the Jaheira you meet in ToB. These use the BG2 portrait.

If Jaheira is in your party when you transition to SoA, her portrait gets switched to the BG2 version. Otherwise, if she didn't die in BG1, she is spawned as one of the BG2 creature files.

If Jaheira is in your party when you transition to SoA, her portrait gets switched to the BG2 version. Otherwise, if she didn't die in BG1, she is spawned as one of the BG2 creature files.

So... if you were creating a book covering BGI and BGII that includes her as a party member from the time you first meet her, which photo would you use? Myself, personally, I like the elvish photo more than the human. Admittedly it is too elvish, and not that of a half-elf.. Reading the in-game reply she states the following, "she was born in the Tethyr region to a loyalist of the King Alemander regime..." That seems to imply that she was human. If I was an artist, and I am definitely not, I would try to merge the two photos.

Thanks for the reply. I'm to the point in my narrative where she and Khalid have met and become members of the party. Speaking of which. If I drop the two of them off at the Jovial Juggler and continue on my own with Imoen, and then later pick them up again, will they have advanced in experience? Or am I going to have to test this.

Thanks for the reply. I'm to the point in my narrative where she and Khalid have met and become members of the party. Speaking of which. If I drop the two of them off at the Jovial Juggler and continue on my own with Imoen, and then later pick them up again, will they have advanced in experience? Or am I going to have to test this.

If I remember correctly...

When you load into an area that has a potential party member, that NPC will load with the CRE file that is closest matching to your level. If you choose to talk to them, their level is set. If you do not talk to them, then the next time you enter the area they may load with a higher level CRE file depending of course on whether or not your character has gained levels. (Do note that I'm not 100% sure about whether their level is fixed if you talk to them, I always avoided talking to potential followers till I wanted to add them because I wanted to play it safe.)

Once you've added them to the team their CRE file is fixed. That means that they will only gain XP and get new levels when in the party. If you drop one off somewhere, do something and get a few levels, go back and pick up the one you left behind, they will be of a lower level.

There are, I believe, some mod options which allow them to level up to your level both newly met and re-acquired team members.

Reading the in-game reply she states the following, "she was born in the Tethyr region to a loyalist of the King Alemander regime..." That seems to imply that she was human.

AFAIK, she's always been a half-elf. This would mean that one of her parents was necessarily human. This is the first I hear of King Alemander, but either of her parents could've been a loyalist of his regime. That wouldn't prevent the other parent from being elvish.

There are, I believe, some mod options which allow them to level up to your level both newly met and re-acquired team members.

Correct. If you install Level 1 NPCs, you'll have the option of making each NPC's level match your protagonist's level upon either first joining the party, or every time they rejoin. Meaning that you could recruit them, swap them out for a while, then come back to get them, and they'd gain EXP to fit to your protagonist's new level, if applicable.

By the way, I believe there is a mod that restores BG2 portraits to BG1 followers(BG1 NPC's component), but you can't choose Jaheira's BG1 portrait in BG2. Or is there such a mod?

Thanks for the replies folks. Yeah, I'd not be too surprised if there wasn't a mod to that affect Kulyok. Just now I'm not going to spin my wheels searching for it. :) Also, I don't want to possibly corrupt my install just to prove something. Leave well enough alone. And that goes for your timely comment as well PlainAB. If need be after I've dropped and picked 'em back up, if they don't automatically, I'll key in the necessary XP. I just did it to Khalid. While Jaheira comes in with some 3,400 XP, Khalid comes in with none. So I keyed him to match her cumulative experience. I don't feel that's cheating. I already cheated by exporting my main from BG:EE and importing her into BGT-Weidu. She came in as a mage and I converted her to a cleric / mage at third level on both accounts.

I hear what you're saying Nilfalasiel. The problem is that in BGI the photo is definitely that of a human. Yet in BGII it is definitely an elf. We both came to the same conclusions about her heritage. If she was a half-elf that her parents were loyalists to King Alemander does not mean she was necessarily a human. Myself, and in this you seem to agree to as well, I would prefer her to be a half-elf as it adds interest to her unstated background. Everyone loves a mystery. Now for an artist to merge two two into a half-elf. That would be a good mod for a modder, merge the two images and update the various CRE files.

BTW, Alemander is possibly an allusion to the Germanic / Dutch word Alleman. Constructed into the "A German man person of Germany (Deutschland)." Or something like that. ;)

Zyraen's Miscellany, if installed, includes a script you can assign to any NPC who's in the party. It's called XP Evener Script, and it sets the NPC's XP close to that of your main character. There's another mod with a component that automatically adjusts this when an NPC first joins the party (is it the BG2-style NPCs component?). Two ways to accomplish the same thing :)

Also, confirmed: Jaheira is absolutely, 100%, half elven and half human.

In the case of her being human that is in BGI while she is a half-elf in BGII. Is it perhaps, a mistake when the developers went from the first to the second and we are stuck with it? Just curious as to which race she actually is.
This picture from BG1 should give you the BG1 facts, she is a Half-Elf... ouh, and she has a half-elf class... as humans can't have multi-classes.

jaheira.jpg

I hear what you're saying Nilfalasiel. The problem is that in BGI the photo is definitely that of a human. Yet in BGII it is definitely an elf. We both came to the same conclusions about her heritage. If she was a half-elf that her parents were loyalists to King Alemander does not mean she was necessarily a human. Myself, and in this you seem to agree to as well, I would prefer her to be a half-elf as it adds interest to her unstated background. Everyone loves a mystery. Now for an artist to merge two two into a half-elf. That would be a good mod for a modder, merge the two images and update the various CRE files.

Honestly, I wouldn't put much credence in the vanilla BG1 portraits: many of them don't correspond to what the characters are supposed to look like lore-wise. All the elves look human, not just Jaheira and Khalid, Viconia looks nothing like a drow, Minsc is bald when a) Rashemi men are supposed to be very hairy and b) his paperdoll definitely has hair, Imoen's portrait has brown hair when her paperdoll has red/pink hair, Clerics wear the wrong colours, etc.

BG2 did a better job, but there are still mistakes: eg. Korgan has pointy ears, which dwarves aren't supposed to have, while Jan doesn't, while gnomes are supposed to, Minsc is still bald and, you're right, Jaheira looks elven. However, here's a suggestion: there's a mod called PaintBG, which updates all NPC companion portraits from BG1 and BG2 and does a tremendous job of most of them (you don't have to install the ones you don't like): the elves and half-elves actually look different. Elves have distinctly pointy ears, high-cheekbones and slanted eyes, while Jaheira and Khalid have smaller pointy ears and more human features.

Edited by Nilfalasiel

Ain't it just a blast to catch the developers on their bad days. I wonder if anyone ever considered going thru and modding the corrections all you folks mentioned. For a purist that would be a high on the list mod to install. And yeah, if that BGI portrait of Jaheira is a half-elf I'm a kobold's father with an orc for a mother and a goblin for a wife.

Nilfalasiel,

I just loved your narrative on the NPCs in BGI. The best I've ever read, sans none. Hands down, nice job.

Nilfalasiel,

I just loved your narrative on the NPCs in BGI. The best I've ever read, sans none. Hands down, nice job.

Aw, heh, thanks! :)

Ain't it just a blast to catch the developers on their bad days. I wonder if anyone ever considered going thru and modding the corrections all you folks mentioned. For a purist that would be a high on the list mod to install. And yeah, if that BGI portrait of Jaheira is a half-elf I'm a kobold's father with an orc for a mother and a goblin for a wife.

Well, the PaintBG portraits are almost all lore-accurate (except for Minsc!). Beyond that, it's a matter of aesthetic preference, but I use quite a few of them.

Other than that, Miloch has edited several vanilla portraits to make them lore-accurate (eg. giving Clerics the proper colours, giving Minsc hair, etc.). This is if you prefer the original BG portrait style and would simply like the bloopers corrected. Additionally, I've edited both Korgan's and Jan's vanilla portraits to fix their ears.

Edited by Nilfalasiel

I tried leaving a message or two on your site but it kept asking for a password each time after I input everything. Myself, I use Joomla in lieu of WordPress, 'tis more powerful. If I can recall to so I think your narrative would make one of the best books I've seen on BG. Snippets of it would work well with the walkthrough I'm working on, if your interested.

Yeah, PaintBG is interesting and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger. I need to find me a topnotch arteest to take an uploaded photo of your's truly and convert it to a dwarf. I've already got the beard to pull it off. :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.