Random drops - a little something for everyone

CamDawg

I spent a pleasant day poking and prodding the random drop tables for a new Tweaks component and learned more than I planned. The EXTRES4 drop in TotL appears twice, so one is swapped for the unused EXTRES1 as a fix. Six other entries are also never referenced (DE5Tres, EC1Tres, EXTRES3, TG4Tres, TG5Tres, and UD6Tres) so I'm looking to add these in UB since they reference a lot of unused, unique items.

On the actual Tweaks front, this stems from a thread over on the EE forums. I've coded up two solutions already but after seeing deltago's post I'll be coding a third:

Re-randomize on reload. The simplest option. You reload or re-enter an area with a random drop and the item will change, so you could mash quickload until you get the item you want. This is the least immersion breaking, but also slightly annoying since you might have to reload a few times if you have your heart set on a specific item. You'd also run into the meta-gaming aspect again if you didn't know a chest was 'special'.

Pick your random drop Random drops are replaced with tokens; once you have one the token genie appears and swaps it for your choice of the random items. Immersion-breaking, but definitely the best in terms of convenience.

Riffing on deltago's post--you'd get a random item, but a new merchant in Kuldahar (or Lonelywood for the expansion items) would do a one-time swap, for a fee, for a different item on the table. I like this option for a number of reasons--it takes away the meta-gaming issue (if you didn't know a chest was special, you can still get it swapped) and provides minimal immersion interruption with the swap mechanism.

Will it randomize/change quest items like Larrel's astrolabe parts? I'm using these to trigger IWD NPC banters, so if they suddenly all end up in a different place, that'll be... well, not so good.

Will it randomize/change quest items like Larrel's astrolabe parts? I'm using these to trigger IWD NPC banters, so if they suddenly all end up in a different place, that'll be... well, not so good.

It won't affect anything plot-critical like the parts, just the stuff from rndtreas.2da, and not even all of that. Only the rows that have actual unique random drops--so the ones that give monsters a random weapon or chests a random gem won't be touched. It will affect the one random item on Kaylessa (her bow, armor, gloves or ring) or the special item you get from the snake idol next to the lizard king in DE (shield ring, magic resistance potion, ring of resistance, ring of intelligence, boots of the fox or robe of enfusing).

Alright, so a quick update: Tweaks will now let you pick between re-randomize on reload, pick your drop, and mercantile exchange in a new Friendly Random Drops component.

Fixpack now fixes the dupe EXTRES4 random drop (Ogien's Scale or Cloak of Invisibility) by replacing the one in ar9200 with the unused EXTRES1 (Belt of Bones, Helm of Shouting, Stomper's Boots).

UB has a few more items in its minor item restorations: Fang (uBswd1a) is now available at the caravan ambush site, the TG4Tres (helm of charm protection, large shield +1 of missile deflection or generic +1 stuff) and TG5Tres (sanctified hammer +1, morning star of confusion +1, lesser static star +1 or generic +1s) random drops are in the Vale of Shadows, DE5Tres (halberd +1 defender, Darig's Rest, 2h fire axe +1, infected 2h axe +2) in Dragon's Eye, UD6Tres (long bow +3 repeater or long bow +3 defender) in LDD, and EXTRES3 (staff of besieging or Quost's staff of the elements) in Lonelywood.

Hi CamDawg

I have been playing with the random drops component and trying to get it to install.

I found that line 2397 of the tp2 file wants cdyucham.cre which my install does not have. I changed this to yuchamp.cre that Ni lists as Yuan-Ti Champion and the component installed without error.

Is this ok or have I buggered something up.

Thanks

Container11 on area AR3601 (first level of the temple of the forgotten god) uses the TFGTRES list, which is not being affected by your mod.

Is it intentional because of some scroll drops on the list or an oversight? Among the stuff in there is the Longbow +1: Protector and the Longbow +2: Defender

Archived