Version 24(BETA) of Sword Coast Stratagems released

DavidW

I guess I just attract bugs. I decided to find out the faulty component by bisection, and certain components will not even uninstall, just keep asking the same question (see screenshot attached). At least, weidu says so. But in the end it said "component is missing a requirement, not reinstalling" a few times and "smarter dragons" were recorded as uninstalled in weidu.log. Looks like some weidu glitch.

Anyway, the result is that I narrowed it down to the first component, "Initialize mod". Once I uninstall it, the crash doesn't happen.

Another thing: on the initial choice "Do you want to: 1)...2)...3)...4)...", if you just hit enter without entering a number first, the window fills with endless stream of "Please choose one of 1, 2, 3, or 4"

post-2474-0-40846400-1377086543_thumb.png

Why would it be? (It's a major change to the core ruleset; it's not a change I need to make in order to have my casters function effectively (and my rule changes try to be as minimalistic as possible); it's already available in a widely known mod, and indeed can be enabled within SCS just by tweaking tobex_tweaks.ini; I don't actually like it, and I try not to include components that I wouldn't use myself.)

I understand about mages. What bothers me here is that clerics have no chance of casting anything. Again, may be just me but it is silly to see a level 40 cleric who blasts Liches on sight loose concentration when hit by a simple magic missile.

Thanks for explaining anyway.

I understand about mages. What bothers me here is that clerics have no chance of casting anything. Again, may be just me but it is silly to see a level 40 cleric who blasts Liches on sight loose concentration when hit by a simple magic missile.

Thanks for explaining anyway.

I agree, it's hard work scripting for cleric for that reason - in particular, getting solo clerics to fight well is really tricky. But there aren't that many of them, and clerics in a group seem okay. (Or rather: you probably can prevent the group's cleric from spellcasting if you put your mind to it, but that's just one more tactical choice - it takes time that you might rather use to do other things.)

Having said all that, if people play SCS with concentration checks enabled and find it improves the game, I'd be interested to hear.

I agree that this particular tweak is indeed quite a deviation from game rules - but so is "no spell disruption on 0 damage", yes?

I always enable this tweak, tbh. Am not sure that the formula used is "right" but it does make certain battles (Bassilus and Tamoko come to mind for example in BG1) bit more challenging (and imo, more believable).

Your point about clerics in groups makes sense, however, given that mages often take some time to kill, I usually go straight for clerics.

They will probably die when focused regardless (ToBEx doesn't change that), but I still like them to (perhaps) cast a spell or two before they go down.

Basically, I like this tweak. It does plenty for mages without PFMW (no more simple interruption from elemental damage weapons, enen tough it's still possible), clerics (quite hard to disrupt them with magic missiles fire) and improves single class clerics a lot.

All of these tweaks are welcome for me.

I agree that this particular tweak is indeed quite a deviation from game rules - but so is "no spell disruption on 0 damage", yes?

Fair point. It's a judgement call - and I was on the fence about this one. FWIW, the factors that decided it were:

(i) a vague suspicion that this isn't exactly intended behaviour (whereas spell disruption is clearly deliberate)

(ii) PnP - BG2 isn't AD&D, but I'm somewhat moved even so by comparisons

(iii) in-game visibility - concentration checks are quite visible, whereas I played the game for years before realising 0 damage could still disrupt things

(iv) status quo bias - I didn't realise concentration could be disrupted by zero damage until well after SCSII was fully coded. I was reluctant to go back and rewrite various bits.

Ok. Given that ToBEx option exists, it's fine as it is. People who want to stay more true to original game behaviour can do so, and people who want altered rules can play by them, and both will enjoy their game. I was simply being curious about the reasons this tweak isn't "automatic" on install procedure.

Anyway, the result is that I narrowed it down to the first component, "Initialize mod". Once I uninstall it, the crash doesn't happen.

Uninstalling mod after mod, I finally found out that it's a conflict between Back to Brynnlaw and SCS' "Initialize mod". The order doesn't matter. I guess that's where I leave it.

(suddenly awake) Wait, what? Back to Brynnlaw crashes upon starting a _new game_? (It shouldn't influence anything prior Chapter 6. Just saying).

@DavidW, please let me know if I need to do anything on my end?

No immediate idea, but I'll have a look.

(Though I'm about to go away for a couple of weeks, so may be slow in practice.)

If you want to help, you could usefully see if you can replicate this result. FP, Back to Brynnlaw, "initialise" component of SCSv24 (just say "skip this section" to all the actual content), start a new game.

Archived