What does 'llatarala menatira' mean?

Serii

This is an absolutely trivial thing that I noticed when I first played through this mod and happened to end up with Xan and Kivan getting drunk in the middle of nowhere. I was curious, couldn't find any translation, then forgot about it.

But recently I remembered, tried to find a trandlation again and failed this time too. So now I'm terribly curious and thought I might as well just ask and see if anyone else knows.

It's in a PC response after the two drunken elves have woken up the morning after their amusing stint, there's the option to say "Nope, but I significantly expanded my Elven vocabulary. Say, Kivan, what does "llatarala menatira" mean? It sounds quite lovely and rolls of the tongue so pleasantly..."

Kivan blushes and doesn't explain, which just leaves me going 'but what does llatarala menatira meaannnn?' (if only my PC could ask Coran, I'm sure he'd be happy to spill the beans).

Rightyo :D Hmm, well I figured since the other elvish used is translatable (from what I recall anyway, I know the mellon-friend one is) that this would be too. I think the closest I could find just looking up bits in an elvish dictionary was that alatra was radiance and ala is to grow and men is path? (maybe 'YOUR GROWING RADIANCE LIT UP THIS PATH!' ...or not) But I was just trying to find bits that might make some sort of sense when translated.

Long time since this was posted, and my question has nothing to do with mods, but maybe someone here knows the answer? Has the Grey Company been disbanded? I've been searching for anything I could find on them that's come out during the past year and all I find are random mentions in forums like this. I see that someone in WoW has a Grey Company guild... but I'm hesitant to believe they're the same group who went to all the trouble of breaking down the language. It's an amazing resource, but nothing seems to have been changed or added since December 2001... a little over =thirteen years ago.=

"Rightyo :D Hmm, well I figured since the other elvish used is translatable (from what I recall anyway, I know the mellon-friend one is) that this would be too. I think the closest I could find just looking up bits in an elvish dictionary was that alatra was radiance and ala is to grow and men is path? (maybe 'YOUR GROWING RADIANCE LIT UP THIS PATH!' ...or not) But I was just trying to find bits that might make some sort of sense when translated."

Ummmm.... No. You can't just combine words haphazardly. Remember... you have to look up meanings of words and THEN apply the rules of grammar (which, in Tolkien's case, was very specific...). I've been writing a mod which uses (hopefully) correct Sindarin (one of the dialects of Tolkien's Elvish). My sources have been:

http://www.jrrvf.com/hisweloke/sindar/

http://sindarinlessons.weebly.com/uploads/8/0/1/0/8010213/sindarin_lessons.pdf (incomplete, but gives much grammar instruction)

About llatarala menatira :-)... I tried to translate it and failed (as cmorgan notes, it's gibberish), so I assumed that <charname> misheard what was said. "lathrada men tírad aníra." is similar in form, but makes a lot more sense: "Seeing us, s/he wants to eavesdrop." Maybe a barmaid was hanging around the table. Of course, why this would embarrass Kivan that much suggests that what they were talking about that the barmaid wished to overhear is not stated. I suggest for a possible new version:

"Xan: Han lathrada men tírad aníra nautharon.

Kivan: Han tâd ammen edhellen aníra nautharon."

Xan: I think, seeing us, that she wants to eavesdrop.
Kivan: I think that she wants two of us elves...
(not serious, but a lot of work and fun in writing....)

Archived